DA seatpost modification - or trash it?

Ant

Guest
A good friend bought a used DA seatpost, and has found that the press fit clamp-tube attachment is
slightly loose, resulting in a loud
click/squeak at certain times.

Thoughts? Is this a common problem? My first thought was to drill a little hole or two and pop a
rivet or two in. It seemed like the beefier part of a seatpost. However, maybe there is a
tried-and-true fix? loctite? incantations?

thanks,

anthony

My , now 4 year old, DA post made those loud "clicks" every so often and just last week I noticed my
saddle was pointing a bit to the right. I figured the post slipped in the frame only to discover the
press in clamp was now slightly loose. Take a look at the posts on roadbikereview
http://www.roadbikereview.com/Seatposts/Shimano,Dura-Ace,SP-7410/PRD_28058_2510crx.aspx and you will
see this is an all too common problem with this seatpost.

Tim

"ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A good friend bought a used DA seatpost, and has found that the press fit clamp-tube attachment is
> slightly loose, resulting in a loud
> click/squeak at certain times.
>
> Thoughts? Is this a common problem? My first thought was to drill a little hole or two and pop a
> rivet or two in. It seemed like the beefier part of a seatpost. However, maybe there is a
> tried-and-true fix? loctite? incantations?
>
> thanks,
>
> anthony

>A good friend bought a used DA seatpost, and has found that the press fit clamp-tube attachment is
>slightly loose, resulting in a loud
>click/squeak at certain times. Thoughts? Is this a common problem? My first thought was to drill a
> little hole or two and pop a rivet or two in. It seemed like the beefier part of a seatpost.
> However, maybe there is a tried-and-true fix? loctite? incantations?

I would try to retun it and get a refund. If that didn't work, I would pull the head out and then
epoxy and press it back into place. Having a seatpost fail could be pretty ugly. I hope Shimano
fixes this problem.
----------------
Alex

"ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A good friend bought a used DA seatpost, and has found that the press fit clamp-tube attachment is
> slightly loose, resulting in a loud
> click/squeak at certain times.
>
> Thoughts? Is this a common problem? My first thought was to drill a little hole or two and pop a
> rivet or two in. It seemed like the beefier part of a seatpost. However, maybe there is a
> tried-and-true fix? loctite? incantations?
>
> thanks,
>
> anthony

Shimano has a longer warranty on the D/A stuff. I sent a D/A seatpost with the same problem back to
Shimano and they sent me a new one.

Check with your LBS. It took a while to get it back, so you may want to put a temporary post in the
bike first.

Mike