DA Triple Front Derailleur - tooth differences

Saltytri

Guest
I recall reading somewhere that the DA triple front der needs a 14 tooth difference between the big
and middle rings to work well. Does anyone know if it will work well with smaller differences, like
a 48/38/26? Or is it a better idea to use an Ultegra triple der? If so, will the Ultega der work OK
with the DA triple shifter?

> I recall reading somewhere that the DA triple front der needs a 14 tooth difference between the
> big and middle rings to work well. Does anyone
know if
> it will work well with smaller differences, like a 48/38/26? Or is it a
better
> idea to use an Ultegra triple der? If so, will the Ultega der work OK
with the
> DA triple shifter?

My guess is that the back plate of a DuraAce triple front derailleur is going to run into the middle
chainring if you're only running a 10-tooth difference. Another issue is that the curvature of the
derailleur is made for a 53t large chainring, so that rear end of the derailleur (the part closest
to the rear hub) is going to be kinda high in the air (above the chainring) which might make for
difficult shifting in some combos.

I haven't yet tried an Ultegra front derailleur with a DuraAce triple lever, but it may not be
compatible, since the DuraAce lever is built with trim capability in all three chainrings, while the
Ultegra performs this for only the two smaller chainrings, thus the derailleur is designed a bit
differently.

saltytri-<< I recall reading somewhere that the DA triple front der needs a 14 tooth difference
between the big and middle rings to work well. Does anyone know if it will work well with smaller
differences, like a 48/38/26?

DA triple fder and shifters very finicky about cranks-Don't know if it will work with a different
crank and not sure the DA left shifter will work with a ultegra triple fder...but try it.

We tried the DA triple shifter/crank with an ultegra and it didn't work(didn't have the DA
in stock).

The entire DA triple kit works 'okay' but doesn't like to have stuff swapped out.

Thanks, Mike and Peter. Looks like I'd better not fool with Shimano's "Grand Plan for the Universe"
this time.

I'm currently using an Ultegra triple front derailer with 50-40-28 with good luck (TA crank). Also
using Ultgera brifters.

Kyle