DA vs Ultegra - which is a better pedal option mechanically?

milliedog

Apr 26, 2004
I've just greased up my Dura Ace SL pedals & noticed that this seems like a much more complex mechanism (lock rings, circlips...) than the spindle used in most of the other Shimano pedals. Forgetting the cost argument; which pedal has the best mechanism in terms of longevity & serviceability; Dura Ace or Ultegra SPD SL?

I've been told that Shimano's SPD-SL (or whatever the letters are) pedals are all basically the same pedal. So the "105", Ultegra, and DA pedals virtually the same pedals as far as I know, except they are made of different materials for weight reasons. So again, from what I've been told by my LBS, those top 3 pedals shimano makes are all the same mechanism.

rudycyclist said:
I've been told that Shimano's SPD-SL (or whatever the letters are) pedals are all basically the same pedal. So the "105", Ultegra, and DA pedals virtually the same pedals as far as I know, except they are made of different materials for weight reasons. So again, from what I've been told by my LBS, those top 3 pedals shimano makes are all the same mechanism.

Hi Rudy,

The DA pedals are definitely different on the inside to the Ultegra ones. DA has an outer lock-ring (needing a 20mm cone spanner) that holds the one-piece spindle meachanism in tight; the Ultegra ones you use the plastic tool to pull out the whole spindle. Some of the bearings remain inside the DA pedal when the axle is removed.

milliedog said:
Hi Rudy,

The DA pedals are definitely different on the inside to the Ultegra ones. DA has an outer lock-ring (needing a 20mm cone spanner) that holds the one-piece spindle meachanism in tight; the Ultegra ones you use the plastic tool to pull out the whole spindle. Some of the bearings remain inside the DA pedal when the axle is removed.
Good to know because chances are I'll be racing them on the road next year! Thank you!

imo they're not worth the extra money. In Australia, Dura-Ace are double the price of Ultegra, so I bought 2 pairs of Ultegra. Ultegra are 22g heavier per pair. Maybe the bearing surfaces of the Dura-Ace will last a bit longer, but still.......

531Aussie said:
In Australia, Dura-Ace are double the price of Ultegra, so I bought 2 pairs of Ultegra... Maybe the bearing surfaces of the Dura-Ace will last a bit longer, but still...
But not likely twice as long. Good on you 531!

I'm a huge fan of my Time RXE pedals for similar reasons. At less than 1/2 the price of the Time RXS (carbon) version, they only weigh a few grams more (280 vs. 235 for the pair - maybe that's a big difference to some ;) ).

They have a great platform, I have no problems clipping in or out, and at about $75 Canadian/pair including shipping (brand new on e-bay - item number 120072030961), I can buy a new pair every season if I want. In fact, I bought 2 additional pair that are sitting unused on the shelf. I'll probably used one pair just for races so I'll know the bearings are fresh.

Huge side benefit... not having to buy additional cafe cleats seperately as they wear out.

Pad

531Aussie said:
imo they're not worth the extra money. In Australia, Dura-Ace are double the price of Ultegra, so I bought 2 pairs of Ultegra. Ultegra are 22g heavier per pair. Maybe the bearing surfaces of the Dura-Ace will last a bit longer, but still.......
I agree 100% . I purchased Ultegra, and after 22,000 k (racing and training, latter in all weather) they have performed well. They are scratched up, and if they clapped out now I would feel I had received value for money.

It seems that weight might be the only reason to go with the more expensive pedals. I just bought a new bike with all ultegra excepting my LBS said that no point in paying for the ultegra pedal.

I wonder if anybody could actually detect a difference between models in the way they work and ride.