DA worth it?

frenchcycling

Jul 19, 2005
I have a litespeed siena with full untegra. I want to upgrade the parts. Should i put on DA? i race and i ride about 300 miles a week. so is it worth it?

frenchcycling said:
I have a litespeed siena with full untegra. I want to upgrade the parts. Should i put on DA? i race and i ride about 300 miles a week. so is it worth it?

Perfomance difference between DA and Ultegra is not signficant. DA is more durable and saves a few grams. I don't think it is worth replacing perfectly functional parts with more expensive to save a few grams and Ultegra is probably durable enough for most of us. The DA won't make you faster. Improving your fitness will.

Unless you need the prestige or feel it is unsightly to have mixed components, it is not worth the money in terms of performance. At 300 miles/wk, you will wear out components. It may be worth it to upgrade to DA as you replace worn parts. If your wheels are stock Ultegra 32H hubs with standard Mavic, Velocity, or similar rims, upgrading to a better wheelset for races is a better use of the money than switching to DA.

Also is it new Ultegra 10 speed or the older 9 speed? If it were 10 speed then I woudl agree and upgrade as they wear out. Wheels and tires make a huge difference. As long as your chain and shifters are working smoothly then DA won't make a big difference.

TKOS said:
Also is it new Ultegra 10 speed or the older 9 speed? If it were 10 speed then I woudl agree and upgrade as they wear out. Wheels and tires make a huge difference. As long as your chain and shifters are working smoothly then DA won't make a big difference.
I would certainly agree with the prior posts. Even if your parts wear out, you don't need to replace them with DA, ultegra will serve you just fine (not to mention the fact that ultegra is much cheaper than DA). In my opinion, unless you're a very serious racer, you don't need DA.

Again, I also agree that in terms of performance or race results, you won't see a difference upgrading from Ultegra to DA. In fact, unless the races are very hilly, you won't even see much difference upgrading Ultegra/OP wheels, unless you go to something really different, i.e. Zipp CF tubulars. (I ride almost all my races on my PowerTap/DT wheel, which is even slightly heavier than an Ultegra/OP, it doesn't slow me down any more than my legs slow me down!) But...the other factor is the "fun factor." Most of us will never own a Ferrari, a Patek Phillipe watch, etc. Owning DA or Campy Record equipment, even though "the bike will be better than us" is one of the few chances we get to own top-of-the-line stuff at a reasonably affordable price. Riding as much as you do, you might simply enjoy the DA more. I do.

TKOS said:
Good point. Is it 10 or 9 speed? You could begin the upgrad to DA 10 and buy a less expensive crank set, such as a FSA or what ever to save some money. The point about investing in some very nice wheels is right on the mark and you will experience more smiles from that investment. Some years back, I made the switch from standard Mavic 32 spoke wheels (where I still have and are very durable) to some Rolf Vector Pros. Wow! I picked up 1 to 2 mph average speed just with this upgrade, not to mention that they really like to spin at high speed better than what I was using.

the ultergra is 9 speed from like 2 years ago. i don;t really kno how i want to invest the money into a bike.