Dadgummit! I'm the weakest link!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Freewheeling, May 12, 2003.

  1. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    I ordered two SRAM PC-69 chains and should've order three. I'm about 8 links short. I guess I
    should've counted them. Rats!

    They should've made this bike an inch or so shorter. Yeah, that's it. It's RANS's fault.

    --Scott --Scott [email protected]

    > I ordered two SRAM PC-69 chains and should've order three. I'm about 8 links short. I guess I
    > should've counted them. Rats!
    >
    > They should've made this bike an inch or so shorter. Yeah, that's it. It's RANS's fault.

    I could have told you if you had asked. I figured with the Rholoff and no rear derailleur and a 38T
    Chainring that two chains might have worked and you knew what you were doing. Two chains are never
    enough for any other 'bent.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I ordered two SRAM PC-69 chains and should've order three. I'm about 8 links short. I guess I
    > should've counted them. Rats!
    >
    > They should've made this bike an inch or so shorter. Yeah, that's it. It's RANS's fault.
    >
    > --Scott --Scott [email protected]

    At least you've invented a new colloquialism: "He's 8 links short of a recumbent chain" or something
    like that.

    happy trails, rorschandt

  4. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Ror:

    Well, for the time being I've just used a piece of PC-59 chain that I had clipped from my old chain
    when I got the Rholoff. It's not new, but not as worn as my old chain. The old chain had stretched
    enough that I needed an extra cog to keep it reasonably taught, so that's an overall stretch of at
    least half an inch, and perhaps more like 3/4ths (since the chain was a little loose). It's funny, I
    had just had it checked at a bike shop two weeks before I noticed it was sloppy and my measurements
    just prior to installing the new chain indicated a stretch of about 3/32nds per foot. I probably
    need to get something measures stretch more accurately. The stretch came on pretty suddenly too. I
    had been using this chain for a *long* time.

    --Scott

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 07:34:35 -0500, rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I ordered two SRAM PC-69 chains and should've order three. I'm about 8 links short. I guess I
    >> should've counted them. Rats!
    >>
    >> They should've made this bike an inch or so shorter. Yeah, that's it. It's RANS's fault.
    >>
    >> --Scott --Scott [email protected]
    >
    >At least you've invented a new colloquialism: "He's 8 links short of a recumbent chain" or
    >something like that.
    >
    >happy trails, rorschandt

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Freewheeling wrote:

    > I ordered two SRAM PC-69 chains and should've order three. I'm about 8 links short. I guess I
    > should've counted them. Rats!
    >
    > They should've made this bike an inch or so shorter....

    Wouldn't the frame need to be 2 inches shorter to account for the shortage of 8 links?

  6. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    I probably need to get something
    > measures stretch more accurately. The stretch came on pretty suddenly too. I had been using this
    > chain for a *long* time.

    I took a bike repair class a couple years ago. The instructor said there is a go/no-go gage for
    change length. He thought it was an unnecessary tool. (One of very few tools of which he did not own
    several copies.) He just used a foot measure, saying an unstretched chain would come out even at a
    foot. I am interested how others do
    it. How much off should a chain be off the foot to replace it?

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

  7. Rick Moll

    Rick Moll Guest

    Gary Mc wrote:

    > Freewheeling wrote:
    >>
    >> I probably need to get something measures stretch more accurately. The stretch came on pretty
    >> suddenly too. I had been using this chain for a *long* time.
    >
    > I took a bike repair class a couple years ago. The instructor said there is a go/no-go gage for
    > change length. He thought it was an unnecessary tool. (One of very few tools of which he did not
    > own several copies.) He just used a foot measure, saying an unstretched chain would come out even
    > at a foot. I am interested how others do
    > it. How much off should a chain be off the foot to replace it?

    As usual, Sheldon Brown's site has lots of pertinent wisdom:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

    I use to use a steel ruler, but recently purchased a Park CC-2 Chain Checker. To me, it's well worth
    the cost of $23.

    http://www.parktool.com/tools/CC_2.shtml

    The tool is quick and easy to use, giving a measure of stretch from 0 to 1 percent, where 1%
    corresponds to about 1/8 inch of stretch in 12 inches:

    12 inch x 1.01 = 12.12 inch = 12 inch + ~1/8 inch

    Given how quickly chains seem to wear towards the end of their life, and the cost of long recumbent
    chains, I find the tool nice to have since I check wear much more often now.

    Rick Moll