Dad's spike in blood pressure, need help

flson

Dec 17, 2014
Hi folks. I'm posting here for my father. He's 62 and has been cycling for about four years now, doing races as far as 75-100 miles. About as year ago, his blood pressure suddenly spiked to around 250 during a non-strenuous section of a ride. He felt dizzy/faint and nauseous and his Garmin recorded the incident. He slowed down and his blood pressure quickly normalized. He was hoping it was a one-time aberration, however, it happen two more times in the past five months, once during a climb, and once during a level section only 20 minutes after the start of the race.

His cardiologist is at a complete loss. He has given my father a barrage of tests that all show a rider in the best physical and cardio shape possible for a 62-year-old. Has anyone here experienced this phenomenon, or do you have any information that might lead us in the right direction of solving this mystery?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Take care.

I'd find another cardiologist or two for a second (and third) opinion, maybe even one who has experience in sports medicine, if possible. My very-fit-at-the-time wife had a heart attack (a S.C.A.D.) 2.5 years ago (at age 37), and the cardiologists really didn't know what to do with her because their realm of expertise is people who are overweight, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and all that, and she didn't fit that mold by a long shot.

What were the atmospheric conditions?
  • Hot? Hot & Humid? Other?
FWIW. I'm going to guess that the [COLOR=FF0000]dehydration[/COLOR] was possibly a factor ... Regardless, you are presuming that the BP which was measured on the Garmin monitor which your father was wearing at the time was accurate ... Maybe it would be good to use it simultaneously with whatever his cardiologist is using during whatever stress test s/he is having him do to ensure that the calibration is-or-isn't accurate.

Well, my father suffers from blood pressure issues. You've got to remember that most males will start developing blood pressure abnormalities, some even in their early 40's. Sometimes, even being in good physical health condition is not surety against a spike in blood pressure or potential heart attack. Your father needs to get a second opinion and see if he needs to be taking pills for his blood pressure.

I'm very sorry to hear what happened to your dad. He is still alive and so we have to give thanks for that. At age is 62 however, he should be taken it easy. Exercising is good for us, and helps to keep us in good shape; However one has to do it in moderation and be mindful of certain personal health conditions that we have that could be triggered.

I am hypertensive and taking a maintenance medication. It was discovered more than 10 years ago when I was in the mall and felt unusually dizzy. My blood pressure shot up to 190/90 and the doctor said it might be fatal to some people hence the medication. Knowing of my problem, I made a researched and something tells me that the blood pressure is directly connected to the physical condition and indirectly to the mental (and emotional) condition. Although I was not disallowed to engage in stenuous physical activity, I always make a personal evaluation of my physical condition when I am riding.