Daft chainring question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    A bit of fettling of bikes today revealed that the outer and,to a
    lesser extent, middle chainrings of my Tiagra triple are a bit worn.

    Looking on the websites of the usual suspects I see that I don't have
    to get Shimano rings to replace them. For example TA do 130 pcd rings.
    Except these are marked as being for double chainsets. Will the world
    end if I use these on a triple?

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tim Hall wrote:
    > A bit of fettling of bikes today revealed that the outer and,to a
    > lesser extent, middle chainrings of my Tiagra triple are a bit worn.

    Does that matter? I don't think so until they're /very/ worn.

    > Looking on the websites of the usual suspects I see that I don't have
    > to get Shimano rings to replace them. For example TA do 130 pcd rings.
    > Except these are marked as being for double chainsets. Will the world
    > end if I use these on a triple?

    Triple middle rings have pins that help pick up the chain when shifting
    (TA make these versions as well), but the double ones work reasonably okay
    as middles with my Campag systems. Some users say they're fine with
    Shimano too (Shimano's indexed front shifting), some say they need a
    proper triple ring.

    ~PB

  3. Alex.Clarke

    Alex.Clarke Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Tim Hall wrote:
    >
    >>A bit of fettling of bikes today revealed that the outer and,to a
    >>lesser extent, middle chainrings of my Tiagra triple are a bit worn.

    > Does that matter? I don't think so until they're /very/ worn.
    >

    >>Looking on the websites of the usual suspects I see that I don't have
    >>to get Shimano rings to replace them. For example TA do 130 pcd rings.
    >>Except these are marked as being for double chainsets. Will the world
    >>end if I use these on a triple?

    > Triple middle rings have pins that help pick up the chain when shifting
    > (TA make these versions as well), but the double ones work reasonably okay
    > as middles with my Campag systems. Some users say they're fine with
    > Shimano too (Shimano's indexed front shifting), some say they need a
    > proper triple ring.
    >
    > ~PB

    I have an "ordinary" middle ring with my Shimano 105 triple. Works fine
    although it doesn't pick up the cahin as well as a chain ring designed
    for a triple.

    Alex

  4. Tim Hall wrote:

    > A bit of fettling of bikes today revealed that the outer and,to a
    > lesser extent, middle chainrings of my Tiagra triple are a bit worn.
    >

    > Looking on the websites of the usual suspects I see that I don't have
    > to get Shimano rings to replace them. For example TA do 130 pcd rings.
    > Except these are marked as being for double chainsets. Will the world
    > end if I use these on a triple?

    TA rings are a lot better for longevity (they're thicker). They do them
    for triples, because the Alize Triple is also 130mm PCD. Have a look at
    the RJ Chicken website.