Dahon Boardwalk D3

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zohar, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. Zohar

    Zohar Guest

    Hi,
    After a several days of touring the net for a folding bicycle which
    gives me quality, low price I found out the "Boardwalk D3" seems like
    the best chosice for me. I prefer foot brake because of the fast wear
    that going in the hand activated brake. The problem is that I didn't
    find reviews, prices or information about the D3, only on the D6.
    I would be very thankfull if one of you tryed those bikes and can tell
    his opinion, where did he buy those and how much did they cost.
    thanks in advance,
    Zohar

    Tags:

  2. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    > Hi,
    > After a several days of touring the net for a folding bicycle which
    > gives me quality, low price I found out the "Boardwalk D3" seems like
    > the best chosice for me. I prefer foot brake because of the fast wear
    > that going in the hand activated brake.
    > Zohar

    Fast wear? Of what, the friction pads, or of the hand muscles?

    --
    Ted Bennett
    Portland OR

  3. meb

    meb Guest

    Ted Bennett wrote:
    > > Hi, After a several days of touring the net for a folding bicycle
    > > which gives me quality, low price I found out the "Boardwalk D3" seems
    > > like the best chosice for me. I prefer foot brake because of the fast
    > > wear that going in the hand activated brake. Zohar

    > Fast wear? Of what, the friction pads, or of the hand muscles?
    > --
    > Ted Bennett Portland OR

    The pads-they do wear out.

    --

  4. meb

    meb Guest

    Zohar wrote:
    > Hi, After a several days of touring the net for a folding bicycle which
    > gives me quality, low price I found out the "Boardwalk D3" seems like
    > the best chosice for me. I prefer foot brake because of the fast wear
    > that going in the hand activated brake. The problem is that I didn't
    > find reviews, prices or information about the D3, only on the D6. I
    > would be very thankfull if one of you tryed those bikes and can tell his
    > opinion, where did he buy those and how much did they cost. thanks in
    > advance, Zohar

    Since the only differrence is a 14/28 freewheel and derailer and rear
    handbrake vs. an SRAM S3 with coaster brake, the only distinctions will
    be those typical of any other manufacturers' bikes with similar options.
    You'll get slightly lower bottom end and slightly higher top end and
    closer ratios with the D-6 (The gear ratio specs are wrong for the D3,
    the S3 hub reduces ratio to a multiple of .73 and overdrive to multiple
    of 1.36 so you can't have a 2:1 ratio range). The D-3 lets you shift
    while standing, and the coaster brake will stop better in the rain but
    will give more rolling resistance when not in use.

    Reviews may be scarce on the D-3 since it isn't sold in the US and many
    other countries.

    --

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    meb wrote:

    > The pads-they do wear out.

    So does the friction material on other types of brakes. Kool Stop
    "salmon" (Scott-Mathauser iron oxide compound) [1] pads wear slowly
    enough that one could expect a few thousand to well over ten thousand
    miles of use before they needed replacing.

    Regrettably, Kool Stop does not offer brake pads using this compound
    that are styled to look like miniature sneakers.

    [1] < http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html >