Dahon Curve folding bike?

the tube is magnesium, a garbage cycle tube material.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:47:27 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>>the tube is magnesium, a garbage cycle tube material.

> thought it was aluminum

According to the Dahon website, you are (except for a missing vowel)
correct.

THE QUALITY MATERIALS AND DESIGN FRAME TUBE IS MAGNESIUM COLORED.

According to the Dahon website, you are (except for a missing vowel)
correct.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dahon evidently doesn't know about the missing "i" either. Do you know the
relative densities and tensile strengths of aluminum vs aluminium? ;-)

On Oct 2, 4:45 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> the tube is magnesium, a garbage cycle tube material.

Tell that to Pinerello - Dogma magnesium frame $$$$

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:47:27 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>>the tube is magnesium, a garbage cycle tube material.

>thought it was aluminum

From what I've heard, the Dahon folders, although not in the
Brompton/Birdy class, represent good value for money.

On Oct 2, 10:32 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Anyone have one and can share some comments abt it?
>
> I'm VERY limited on money right now but want/need a
> folder for commuting to work

I had a friend who had one and liked it. I think his main gripe was
that it didn't fold into a very "friendly" package for a crowded
commuter tram. As I recall, the chain rings stuck out and were easily
bumped by fellow commuters, a propensity which did not endear him to
others on the train. Also, they're not exactly easy to fold... I
suppose that one's definition of "easy" is relative. He had a
zippered shoulder bag made for it and it took him a good five minutes
to get it completely folded and stowed. There are various levels to
which it can be folded, some more time consuming than others.

He also went to a heavier front rim or, perhaps, tire. He said that
the light wheel made it somewhat skittish for city riding. When he
got a tad bit more rotating mass, it handled better in traffic, or so
he said.

All of which is second hand information, so take it with a grain of
salt.

Jones

>On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:47:27 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>>the tube is magnesium, a garbage cycle tube material.

>>thought it was aluminum

>From what I've heard, the Dahon folders, although not in the
>Brompton/Birdy class, represent good value for money.

Well that is what attracts me.... good value

I'm short on cash right now

>> I'm VERY limited on money right now but want/need a
>> folder for commuting to work

>I had a friend who had one and liked it.

what brand and model folder did he have?

Per [email protected]:
>folder for commuting to work

Has anybody used a brand that I *think* is "Zoot" or "Xoot"?

Saw one in a Philly LBS and one of the wrenches there said it was
his favorite handling-wise among folders for commuting.
--
PeteCresswell

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:37:48 -0000, datakoll wrote:

> THE QUALITY MATERIALS AND DESIGN FRAME TUBE IS MAGNESIUM COLORED.

You're missing a vowel.

try a want ad in the local sailor's columns. sailors own folders. try
google search for ports of call like Miamuh, San Diego, and the used
stuff online lists of and newpapers per se.
several people met this afternoon on the beach said they passed over
the Dahon line caws they thought the tubes were magnesium.
Magnesium, reluctant to tak epaint, corrodes, is heavy for its
'strength', 'brittle', and not 'stronger' than Al or Fe++ doesn't weld
well either does it? Why manufactuurer would advert paint in this
shade for an otherwise sophisticated design is in question.
Arthur Clarke always made a point of saying "Al yew min eeeeeeee um."
In fact, I once heard him tell some one to shove it for bringing the
subject up.

Make sure you really need a folder, and not just a bike with small wheels.

I thought I would need a folder for my intermodal commute (bike/city
bus/train), so I bought a Bike Friday with 20" wheels. Daily folding /
unfolding became tedious.

My small-wheeled bike is less obtrusive on the train, and much easier on
stairs and escalators (compared with a full-sized bike).

If you definitely need a folder, I believe Dahon is the cheapest.

- Jay

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] wrote:
>> I rode the REI FlyBy:
>> http://bikehugger.com/2007/09/time_flies_on_the_flyby.htm
>>
>> Which I believe is more-or-less the same bike. It's pretty slick for
>> getting around town. The internal hub makes me want to get one.

> yep that is it!!!
>
> Maybe I will go to REI and look at it in St Louis

You might want to wait until it actually appears in stores, sometime
early next year.

The issue with virtually every folder other than the Brompton is that
they don't really fold small enough to be convenient on a train or bus.
The bike friday Tikit is small, but not as well designed as the Brompton
in terms of folded size.

There was a Brompton clone a while back, the Caribike, that the
manufacturer sent me for evaluation that was the same size, but not
nearly as well designed, i.e. it folded with the chain on the outside
rather than on the inside ("http://tinyurl.com/2hn3jy"). It was
discontinued quite a few years ago.

"SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The issue with virtually every folder other than the Brompton is that they
> don't really fold small enough to be convenient on a train or bus.

Try a birdy - they're pretty close, and make up for it by being very good to
ride.

clive