Dahon D7

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Sep 10, 2005.

  1. Just got a Dahon D7 to use from the car park at work to the office
    which is a 2 mile ride or a 40 minute journey by bus. Yep you read that
    right 2 miles, wait 15 minutes for bus, spend 30 minutes on bus while
    it chokes in traffic around T3 at Heathrow Airport. Not any more.

    Brand new bike came with scratch on frame and on crank, scratch on main
    handle bar post and tiny split in underside of saddle. Is that normal?
    I dont really want to return it as these seem hard to get and I need it
    right now!

    Rode it around the block and it went very well, better than I expected
    have to admit to being pleasantly surprised that a folding bike felt so
    together! Its in the back of my Focus right now... who else has got one
    of these?

    Tight lines!

    http://piscatorialtimes.blogspot.com/

    Tags:

  2. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On 10 Sep 2005 11:15:09 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >Just got a Dahon D7

    >Brand new bike came with scratch on frame and on crank, scratch on main
    >handle bar post and tiny split in underside of saddle. Is that normal?
    >I dont really want to return it as these seem hard to get and I need it
    >right now!

    If you're going to be using it as a commuter, in and out of the car,
    being folded/unfolded and locked up on a daily basis it will soon pick
    up some knocks so I wouldn't be precious about it. In your position
    I'd take some pictures, email them to the retailer and ask for a
    discount because of the damage. It would cost them a fair bit in
    postage to get that one back, send a new one out, and then repair or
    discount the damaged original, they might as well throw some of that
    your way then everyone is happy.

    "Bob"

  3. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Just got a Dahon D7 to use from the car park at work to the office
    > which is a 2 mile ride or a 40 minute journey by bus. Yep you read that
    > right...

    > Rode it around the block and it went very well, better than I expected
    > have to admit to being pleasantly surprised that a folding bike felt so
    > together! Its in the back of my Focus right now... who else has got one
    > of these?

    A friend of mine has one - it is her first bike for many years and she
    is delighted with it.
    She commutes several miles a day on it and has also taken it on some
    off-road trails.

    But for a real folding bike ride you *also* need a Bike Friday ;-)

    John B

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Brand new bike came with scratch on frame and on crank, scratch on main
    > handle bar post and tiny split in underside of saddle. Is that normal?
    > I dont really want to return it as these seem hard to get and I need it
    > right now!

    Its going to get scratched pretty soon in normal use so look on it as
    helping you get over the hurdle of that first scratch ;-)

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  5. D.M. Procida

    D.M. Procida Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Brand new bike came with scratch on frame and on crank, scratch on main
    > handle bar post and tiny split in underside of saddle. Is that normal?
    > I dont really want to return it as these seem hard to get and I need it
    > right now!

    Are you going to enjoy by looking at its pristine paintwork and lacquer,
    or by riding it? It's going to acquire plenty of honourably earned
    scratches and marks in its lifetime, just like a decent piece of
    furniture will, and just like a decent piece of furniture it is more
    than capable of absorbing them into its character. So you may as well
    enjoy them.

    Daniele

  6. Thanks for the replies and yes I agree that over time the bike will
    pick up a few knocks through usage so I guess it does not matter very
    much, however would people accept a brand new car with similar
    scratches?

    Anyway its a great bike more agile and solid than I ever expected and
    with a fair turn of speed too. I certainly will not miss that awful bus
    ride around T3!

    Thanks.

    http://piscatorialtimes.blogspot.com/

  7. D.M. Procida

    D.M. Procida Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks for the replies and yes I agree that over time the bike will
    > pick up a few knocks through usage so I guess it does not matter very
    > much, however would people accept a brand new car with similar
    > scratches?

    Probably not, but then people are particularly idiotic about cars.

    Daniele

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies and yes I agree that over time the bike will
    > pick up a few knocks through usage so I guess it does not matter very
    > much, however would people accept a brand new car with similar
    > scratches?

    I know someone who gets a penknife out and makes the first small scratch
    to get it over with.

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  9. daren

    daren Guest

    Obvious not a carbon fibre frame! I have secured the scotchbrite for
    the new bike already. Of course it has no paint and scratches polish
    out :)

    There is a reason why one has a Black brompton....Travel bikes will get
    scratched. It's called patina.

    Why anyone would use the Oxford Park & Ride is an absolute mystery to
    me. Pay to park the car then fleeced to ride a bus.

    regards,
    daren
    --
    remove outer garment for reply

  10. daren

    daren Guest

    Obvious not a carbon fibre frame! I have secured the scotchbrite for
    the new bike already. Of course it has no paint and scratches polish
    out :)

    There is a reason why one has a Black brompton....Travel bikes will get
    scratched. It's called patina.

    Why anyone would use the Oxford Park & Ride is an absolute mystery to
    me. Pay to park the car then fleeced to ride a bus.

    regards,
    daren
    --
    remove outer garment for reply

  11. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, daren
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Obvious not a carbon fibre frame! I have secured the scotchbrite for
    > the new bike already. Of course it has no paint and scratches polish
    > out :)

    Please do go on...

    My carbon frame has a number of minor scratches and some hazing from
    cable rub. I was wondering if there was anything practical I could do
    about this and wondered if T-Cut would be safe. Are you saying
    scotchbrite works? Do you know this from first hand experience?

    The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
    ;; of me, by a 'friend'

  12. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    daren wrote:

    > Why anyone would use the Oxford Park & Ride is an absolute mystery to
    > me. Pay to park the car then fleeced to ride a bus.

    OK, the last time I used it was over ten years ago, but then you parked
    for free and paid on the bus.

    ...d

  13. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    daren wrote:

    > Why anyone would use the Oxford Park & Ride is an absolute mystery to
    > me. Pay to park the car then fleeced to ride a bus.

    OK, the last time I used it was over ten years ago, but then you parked
    for free and paid on the bus.

    ...d

  14. daren

    daren Guest

    NOOOOOOOO!

    Mine is titanium, and scratches on the frame can be buffed off with
    scotchbrite. Sorry for the confusion.

    Just thought the idea of scratching a new CF frame was too much.

    If it were unpainted CF, I'd probably be looking to use clear nail
    varnish or wax for a scratch. I'm no materials engineer though. I also
    read that clear scotch tape to protect from abrasion can help. This is
    of course cheaper than the CF stickers also available. For a scratched
    seat post (by shop :-() I've used a marker pen.

    regards,
    daren