Dahon speed D7 - any good

Uk_friendly_fire

Guest
I'm looking for 2 cheapish folding bikes to take camping for use by me and
the wife.
My 2 questions are :
Are these bikes anygood and can I ride ride it without it breaking(I'm 16st.
and 5') ?
Is the alu frame better than cromoly? 10"

Uk_friendly_fire wrote:

> My 2 questions are :
> Are these bikes anygood

They're competently built and designed and should do the job.

> and can I ride ride it without it breaking(I'm 16st.
> and 5') ?

I won't unconditionally guarantee it, but I'd be surprised if it was a
problem in normal use (i.e., don't go for Big Air stunt riding).

> Is the alu frame better than cromoly?

Well, there's a can of works... can you precisely define "better" in
this context? Bottom line is it will probably do what you want quite
acceptably.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Uk_friendly_fire wrote:
>
>> My 2 questions are :
>> Are these bikes anygood

> They're competently built and designed and should do the job.
>
>> and can I ride ride it without it breaking(I'm 16st. and 5') ?

> I won't unconditionally guarantee it, but I'd be surprised if it was a
> problem in normal use (i.e., don't go for Big Air stunt riding).
>
>> Is the alu frame better than cromoly?

> Well, there's a can of works... can you precisely define "better" in this
> context? Bottom line is it will probably do what you want quite
> acceptably.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Thanks,
No stunting anticipated unless pump goes through front forks!
As for alu v cro what are the advantages of the more expensive frame.
I've read a review that said the frame hinge corrodes. I assume the alu
frame doesnt.
Chris

Uk_friendly_fire wrote:

> As for alu v cro what are the advantages of the more expensive frame.

Aluminium is not necessarily either cheaper or more expensive than CroMo
tubing. Similarly, what goes for Brand X's aluminium frame doesn't
necessarily go for Brand Y's.

Aluminium is stiffer (this is good in some ways, bad in others) and
lighter. It is also harder to weld so at a given cost of welding it
often won't be done so well. Aluminium frames can't easily be repaired,
but in practice steel ones that break only get repaired in a small range
of circumstances.

Ultimately, both are quite reasonable materials to build a frame out of
if the people concerned know what they're at, and can be dreadful things
if they don't. AFAICT Dahon do.

> I've read a review that said the frame hinge corrodes.

Anything metal will corrode given time, exposure to the elements and a
bit less than maximum care. I've not come across any general complaints
about Dahons falling to bits in the middle from bad frame corrosion.
They are the biggest manufacturer of folding bikes in the world, and
unlike some "biggest" concerns they have a fair reputation amongst
serious users, so there's a good size sample base.

I would trust one.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Uk_friendly_fire wrote:
>
>> As for alu v cro what are the advantages of the more expensive frame.

> Aluminium is not necessarily either cheaper or more expensive than CroMo
> tubing. Similarly, what goes for Brand X's aluminium frame doesn't
> necessarily go for Brand Y's.
>
> Aluminium is stiffer (this is good in some ways, bad in others) and
> lighter. It is also harder to weld so at a given cost of welding it often
> won't be done so well. Aluminium frames can't easily be repaired, but in
> practice steel ones that break only get repaired in a small range of
> circumstances.
>
> Ultimately, both are quite reasonable materials to build a frame out of if
> the people concerned know what they're at, and can be dreadful things if
> they don't. AFAICT Dahon do.
>
>> I've read a review that said the frame hinge corrodes.

> Anything metal will corrode given time, exposure to the elements and a bit
> less than maximum care. I've not come across any general complaints about
> Dahons falling to bits in the middle from bad frame corrosion. They are
> the biggest manufacturer of folding bikes in the world, and unlike some
> "biggest" concerns they have a fair reputation amongst serious users, so
> there's a good size sample base.
>
> I would trust one.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Thanks for your help.
I've ordered 2 Dahon Speed D7
Regards