Dahon's "Biologic Recharge"

NYC XYZ

Guest
VeloVision's winter issue reported from Europe's IFMA that Dahon is
coming out with a hub dynamo that recharges iPods, GPS devices, or
cellphones!

Anyone know anything else?? Can't seem to locate this particular thing
on Dahon's site...as usual!

NYC XYZ wrote:
> VeloVision's winter issue reported from Europe's IFMA that Dahon is
> coming out with a hub dynamo that recharges iPods, GPS devices, or
> cellphones!
>
> Anyone know anything else?

Ben Cooper of Kinetics (http://www.kinetics.org.uk) built a Grasshopper
with a cigarette lighter style recharge socket, though whether that came
off a dynohub or the battery for the Heinzmann electric motor also
fitted I'm not sure. Drop Ben a line to find out... He's the sort of
chap who'll know (plus he's pretty familiar with Dahon).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Ben Cooper of Kinetics (http://www.kinetics.org.uk) built a Grasshopper
> with a cigarette lighter style recharge socket, though whether that came
> off a dynohub or the battery for the Heinzmann electric motor also
> fitted I'm not sure. Drop Ben a line to find out... He's the sort of
> chap who'll know (plus he's pretty familiar with Dahon).
>
> Pete.

Thanks for the ref, but not looking for more batteries! How much does
a hub dynamo typically output, anyway? (Yes I know it also depends on
the "engine.") I'm just curious that such a thing can actually charge
up iPods and GPS devices which typically consume a lot of power, given
their color screens.

NYC XYZ wrote:

> Thanks for the ref, but not looking for more batteries! How much does
> a hub dynamo typically output, anyway?

6 volt/3 watts. I wouldn't think there should be any particular problem
charging up a battery using one given a Clueful design of charging
interface. I think the main issue preventing it is not actually that
much market, at least up until now.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 13 Mar 2006 20:11:01 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> the news follows M-B and Shimano's chip shift devices

>Um...what??

I think he's pointing out that Dahon's announcement may have been
prompted by the observation that there are now electronically
controlled shifting systems on some bikes, with the implication that
there may be some interest in obtaining an on-board method of
recharging the batteries for the shifting system via a dynamo.

Just because someone comes up with an idea and puts into production,
that does not mean that it is a good idea.

Of course, not every bad idea gets the reception that it truly merits.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:

Snip

> Just because someone comes up with an idea and puts into production,
> that does not mean that it is a good idea.
>
> Of course, not every bad idea gets the reception that it truly merits.

Snip

Nor does every good idea. Example: WTB SST saddles & numerous others
that I can't think of at the moment.

John

john wrote:

> Werehatrack wrote:
>
> Snip
>

>>Just because someone comes up with an idea and puts into production,
>>that does not mean that it is a good idea.
>>
>>Of course, not every bad idea gets the reception that it truly merits.

> Snip
>
> Nor does every good idea. Example: WTB SST saddles

I don't get your point. Is there something special that I don't know
about my WTB SST saddle? If there is I'll put it back on one of my bikes.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

ran into a Daf factory manual in world cat yesterday.
well, maybe the electronic tide is indicative of a larger movement -
the unwashed are wired, so the pirates decided to float electronics
the small motor and electro cycles are getting disguises - check out
the new styles for stealth at 35 on public sidewalks sans
registration-insurance and liesense

Huh?

[email protected] wrote:
> ran into a Daf factory manual in world cat yesterday.
> well, maybe the electronic tide is indicative of a larger movement -
> the unwashed are wired, so the pirates decided to float electronics
> the small motor and electro cycles are getting disguises - check out
> the new styles for stealth at 35 on public sidewalks sans
> registration-insurance and liesense

am i huh'ed? see uh uh the bike's name may be 'ez-speed' ?? if law
enforcement does not see a small unregistered uninsured engine only
pedals turned occasionally then "no law is (perceived) broken"
this is a significant turn around from the style of showing the motor
off

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> am i huh'ed? see uh uh the bike's name may be 'ez-speed' ?? if law
> enforcement does not see a small unregistered uninsured engine only
> pedals turned occasionally then "no law is (perceived) broken"
> this is a significant turn around from the style of showing the motor
> off

Huh?

> john wrote:
>>
>> Werehatrack wrote:
>>
>> Snip
>>

>>>Just because someone comes up with an idea and puts into production,
>>>that does not mean that it is a good idea.
>>>
>>>Of course, not every bad idea gets the reception that it truly merits.

>> Snip
>>
>> Nor does every good idea. Example: WTB SST saddles

> I don't get your point. Is there something special that I don't know
> about my WTB SST saddle? If there is I'll put it back on one of my bikes.
>
> Greg
> --
> "All my time I spent in heaven
> Revelries of dance and wine
> Waking to the sound of laughter
> Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

Nothing. So sell it to me for dirt cheap. :)