Dahon's "Biologic Recharge"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by NYC XYZ, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    VeloVision's winter issue reported from Europe's IFMA that Dahon is
    coming out with a hub dynamo that recharges iPods, GPS devices, or
    cellphones!

    Anyone know anything else?? Can't seem to locate this particular thing
    on Dahon's site...as usual!

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > VeloVision's winter issue reported from Europe's IFMA that Dahon is
    > coming out with a hub dynamo that recharges iPods, GPS devices, or
    > cellphones!
    >
    > Anyone know anything else?

    Ben Cooper of Kinetics (http://www.kinetics.org.uk) built a Grasshopper
    with a cigarette lighter style recharge socket, though whether that came
    off a dynohub or the battery for the Heinzmann electric motor also
    fitted I'm not sure. Drop Ben a line to find out... He's the sort of
    chap who'll know (plus he's pretty familiar with Dahon).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > Ben Cooper of Kinetics (http://www.kinetics.org.uk) built a Grasshopper
    > with a cigarette lighter style recharge socket, though whether that came
    > off a dynohub or the battery for the Heinzmann electric motor also
    > fitted I'm not sure. Drop Ben a line to find out... He's the sort of
    > chap who'll know (plus he's pretty familiar with Dahon).
    >
    > Pete.

    Thanks for the ref, but not looking for more batteries! How much does
    a hub dynamo typically output, anyway? (Yes I know it also depends on
    the "engine.") I'm just curious that such a thing can actually charge
    up iPods and GPS devices which typically consume a lot of power, given
    their color screens.

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:

    > Thanks for the ref, but not looking for more batteries! How much does
    > a hub dynamo typically output, anyway?

    6 volt/3 watts. I wouldn't think there should be any particular problem
    charging up a battery using one given a Clueful design of charging
    interface. I think the main issue preventing it is not actually that
    much market, at least up until now.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. the news follows M-B and Shimano's chip shift devices

  6. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > the news follows M-B and Shimano's chip shift devices

    Um...what??

  7. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 13 Mar 2006 20:11:01 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> the news follows M-B and Shimano's chip shift devices

    >Um...what??

    I think he's pointing out that Dahon's announcement may have been
    prompted by the observation that there are now electronically
    controlled shifting systems on some bikes, with the implication that
    there may be some interest in obtaining an on-board method of
    recharging the batteries for the shifting system via a dynamo.

    Just because someone comes up with an idea and puts into production,
    that does not mean that it is a good idea.

    Of course, not every bad idea gets the reception that it truly merits.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  8. john

    john Guest

    Werehatrack wrote:

    Snip

    > Just because someone comes up with an idea and puts into production,
    > that does not mean that it is a good idea.
    >
    > Of course, not every bad idea gets the reception that it truly merits.

    Snip

    Nor does every good idea. Example: WTB SST saddles & numerous others
    that I can't think of at the moment.

    John

  9. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    john wrote:

    > Werehatrack wrote:
    >
    > Snip
    >

    >>Just because someone comes up with an idea and puts into production,
    >>that does not mean that it is a good idea.
    >>
    >>Of course, not every bad idea gets the reception that it truly merits.

    > Snip
    >
    > Nor does every good idea. Example: WTB SST saddles

    I don't get your point. Is there something special that I don't know
    about my WTB SST saddle? If there is I'll put it back on one of my bikes.

    Greg
    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine

  10. ran into a Daf factory manual in world cat yesterday.
    well, maybe the electronic tide is indicative of a larger movement -
    the unwashed are wired, so the pirates decided to float electronics
    the small motor and electro cycles are getting disguises - check out
    the new styles for stealth at 35 on public sidewalks sans
    registration-insurance and liesense

  11. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Huh?

    [email protected] wrote:
    > ran into a Daf factory manual in world cat yesterday.
    > well, maybe the electronic tide is indicative of a larger movement -
    > the unwashed are wired, so the pirates decided to float electronics
    > the small motor and electro cycles are getting disguises - check out
    > the new styles for stealth at 35 on public sidewalks sans
    > registration-insurance and liesense

  12. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Huh?

    [email protected] wrote:
    > ran into a Daf factory manual in world cat yesterday.
    > well, maybe the electronic tide is indicative of a larger movement -
    > the unwashed are wired, so the pirates decided to float electronics
    > the small motor and electro cycles are getting disguises - check out
    > the new styles for stealth at 35 on public sidewalks sans
    > registration-insurance and liesense

  13. am i huh'ed? see uh uh the bike's name may be 'ez-speed' ?? if law
    enforcement does not see a small unregistered uninsured engine only
    pedals turned occasionally then "no law is (perceived) broken"
    this is a significant turn around from the style of showing the motor
    off

  14. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > am i huh'ed? see uh uh the bike's name may be 'ez-speed' ?? if law
    > enforcement does not see a small unregistered uninsured engine only
    > pedals turned occasionally then "no law is (perceived) broken"
    > this is a significant turn around from the style of showing the motor
    > off

    Huh?

  15. B.A.

    B.A. Guest

    > john wrote:
    >>
    >> Werehatrack wrote:
    >>
    >> Snip
    >>

    >>>Just because someone comes up with an idea and puts into production,
    >>>that does not mean that it is a good idea.
    >>>
    >>>Of course, not every bad idea gets the reception that it truly merits.

    >> Snip
    >>
    >> Nor does every good idea. Example: WTB SST saddles

    > I don't get your point. Is there something special that I don't know
    > about my WTB SST saddle? If there is I'll put it back on one of my bikes.
    >
    > Greg
    > --
    > "All my time I spent in heaven
    > Revelries of dance and wine
    > Waking to the sound of laughter
    > Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

    Nothing. So sell it to me for dirt cheap. :)