Daily BIKE! Actions Against War

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Jym Dyer, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= A new "BIKE! Against War" flier is now up on Screed:

    http://www.scorcher.org/screed/changing.html#againstwar

    Full text is below. Feel free to adapt the fliers (and ideas) to your own location.

    =v= Also, check out the photos of Bikes Not Bombs! in the streets thus far:

    http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1587194.php

    http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1587229.php

    <_Jym_>

    =============8<=============Cut-Here=============8<=============

    BIKE! AGAINST WAR

    Every day that war continues, bring your bike downtown to join mobile direct actions! Hundreds of
    bicyclists will occupy streets in the downtown area -- we will provide a powerful presence that says
    NO TO WAR! NO TO OIL DEPENDENCY! NO BUSINESS AS USUAL!

    BIKES NOT BOMBS

    Every Business Day!
    5:00pm Meet at Justin Herman Plaza Embarcadero BART

    Bring Your Bike!!! Bring the SHOCK Of Smiles and the AWE Of Democracy!!!

    We will be temporarily occupying intersections to block traffic, but we are NOT out to pick a fight.
    Angry motorists should be dealt with respectfully and diplomatically.

    http://www.ActAgainstWar.org/

    =============>8=============Cut-Here=============>8=============

    Tags:

  2. Scott Mace

    Scott Mace Guest

    Jym Dyer wrote:

    > BIKE! AGAINST WAR
    >
    > Every day that war continues, bring your bike downtown to join mobile direct actions! Hundreds of
    > bicyclists will occupy streets in the downtown area -- we will provide a powerful presence that
    > says NO TO WAR! NO TO OIL DEPENDENCY! NO BUSINESS AS USUAL!
    >
    > BIKES NOT BOMBS
    >
    > Every Business Day!
    > 5:00pm Meet at Justin Herman Plaza Embarcadero BART

    Since the U.S. preference for a suburban Drive Everywhere lifestyle is the main reason we're in
    Iraq, how about moving the protests to some more appropriate place like Livermore and sticking them
    with the $450,000 daily police bill?

    (Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/03/21/nationa
    l1606EST0783.DTL)

    Scott Mace

    --
    Please sign a petition to charge for parking at all BART stations:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/bart1/petition.html

    "You want to build a school, it's bad. A new bus facility is bad. A bike path is a 'bike freeway,'
    and a four-story affordable housing project is a 'skyscraper.' . . . The future could look like
    Carmel, a nice place with no services that nobody can afford to live in." -- Mike Rotkin, UC Santa
    Cruz lecturer, SF Chronicle, Aug. 22, 2001

    "In the past decade, highway construction in major American cities outpaced population growth, and
    still congestion worsened-and worsened most precisely where the most new roads and highways were
    built." - U.S. News & World Report, May 28, 2001

    "If environmentalists were leading the way, they would be doing more advocacy work in our urban
    centers, marching for new buildings. Instead, they have been leading the NIMBY wars." - James Howard
    Kunzler, http://www.oriononline.org/pages/oo/curmudgeon/index_Kunstler.html

    Blog: http://urbification.blogspot.com/

  3. Raoul Duke

    Raoul Duke Guest

    "Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > We will be temporarily occupying intersections to block traffic, but we are NOT out to pick a
    > fight. Angry motorists should be dealt with respectfully and diplomatically.

    How in the hell is blocking traffic and irritating people - who may actually agree with you - going
    to bring an end to this war any sooner? What a stupid idea.

    Dave

  4. "Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    | BIKE! AGAINST WAR
    |
    | Every day that war continues, bring your bike downtown to join mobile direct actions! Hundreds of
    | bicyclists will occupy streets in the downtown area -- we will provide a powerful presence that
    | says NO TO WAR! NO TO OIL DEPENDENCY! NO BUSINESS AS USUAL!
    |
    | BIKES NOT BOMBS

    Here's to hoping you and the other lameasses that are giving cyclists a bad name are arrested, like
    you deserve to be.

    You and your ilk are truly pathetic.

  5. On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:54:27 -0800 in rec.bicycles.soc, "P e t e F a g e r l i n"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You and your ilk are truly pathetic.

    no, people like you who won't take action against this ILLEGAL WAR waged by an UNELECTED CHIEF
    EXECUTIVE are the ones that are pathetic.

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty
    nor safety."
    -- - Benjamin Franklin

    [email protected]
    http://www.ejuneau.net

  6. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > Since the U.S. preference for a suburban Drive Everywhere lifestyle is the main reason we're in
    > Iraq, how about moving the protests to some more appropriate place like Livermore ...

    =v= I think this is a good idea. Feel free to organize your own affinity group and make it happen.
    Blue-skying on Usenet only goes so far; what counts is action. <_Jym_