Daily commuting faces

GPLama

Guest
I've been commuting (er.. I mean 'training') to and from work along the same
route(s) for a while now and have become quite familiar with the same
similar faces along the way.. maybe you are one of these people!?

Route: Kew/Doncaster East/Kew - path/road/etc depending on the day

Riders I see:

Fitzroy:- Always in a Fitzroy jersey, riding a hybrid or slicked up
MTB.._always_ gives the nod. See him both directions. Limar 909 helmet like
mine..

'Bent Man:- Old dude, default beard, no flag, screams around corners like a
greyhound. He rides a bent, so it took me a while to work up to nodding...
he never nods back (maybe hard while riding in that position?), I'll never
nod him again! Seen him a few times on the return trip.

Big Boi:- Short solid dude rides a MTB all kitted up and a camel back.
Gave him a few nods, nothing in return.

Panniers Woman:- <male> not bad </male> going in the same direction,
see/pass her a few times a week.

The Gunning Vet:- Older dude on a roadie. I know where he LIVES (seen him
come out the driveway).. turns off at Box Hill north.. Likes to race. Wheel
sucker from hell, never works. Always make the effort to drop him, even on
a recovery day.

Sleeper MTBer:- Riding home, see this guy once every few weeks. Big tall
guy. Always rolling slowly until I pass him.. He'll jump on my wheel, but
he'll also do some work on the front! The first few months I just managed
to hang on to him... Now I make sure he cant hang onto me. Great training!
He turns off over the freeway around Mt Albert North(?)

FlyingDutch: Only when I take the main roads and am running late, sometimes
on the way home, again, when I take the shortest way home.

I'm sure there are a few more that I cant think of atm...

cheers,
GPL

I do part of this commute daily but am not one of these. Nearly thought
you had me described with the big guy description but I ride a roadie
(either a Giant TCR or a funky Repco Tri 700). I usually look like I am
about to drop dead. I do a commute from Blackburn to CBD via Whitehorse
Road - Studley Park Road - Bruswick/Napier St.

I will try to nod if nodded to!

AC

AC said:
I do part of this commute daily but am not one of these. Nearly thought
you had me described with the big guy description but I ride a roadie
(either a Giant TCR or a funky Repco Tri 700). I usually look like I am
about to drop dead. I do a commute from Blackburn to CBD via Whitehorse
Road - Studley Park Road - Bruswick/Napier St.

I will try to nod if nodded to!

AC

ooooh. the dreaded straight/right turn from High/Junction into SPRd!!!!

I hate that. used to do it but got 3 flats in a row a few years back and decided the gods were trying to tell me something.
<route-debate-blah-blah> Like go DOWN into Church </route-debate-blah-blah>

GPLama said:
[...]

Don't think I fit into any of these either... almost fit the description of sleeper MTBer but my bizarre bike-setup and lack of form write me out of that one.

The other 'very regular' person I see (both when riding and driving):

Fully clothed grinder girl:- This girl starts in North Balwyn and takes the main roads right through Kew (Belmore, High St,etc.) and I'm always amazed by. She rides in all weather, has done so for years, but still continues to ride in her full work outfit (skirt, stockings, etc.), with her helmet on a bit too far back and almost always grinding a big gear up the hills.. Passed her once or twice - fairly slow, but consistent!

There's another guy who's a regular on the capital city trail through Kew East who i've chatted to once or twice, but for the life of me can't remember his kit!

> Panniers Woman:- <male> not bad </male> going in the same direction,
> see/pass her a few times a week.

There's a chick i see now and then, riding along either johnston/studley
park plus ive seen her along swanston st.. (no i'm not stalking)
rides a roady on one SS and an mtb on one SS
might i say, damn hottt! (with 3 t's)

I’ll have to pay attention & report back. Footscray Rd/Maribynong River/ Moonee Ponds crk/City bike path travelers be on the look out.

Marx SS said:
I’ll have to pay attention & report back. Footscray Rd/Maribynong River/ Moonee Ponds crk/City bike path travelers be on the look out.
I can report on some of the Footscray path regulars I used to see going the other way:

1. Bloke with muttonchops always wearing a waterproof poncho and. Rain/hail/shine, poncho protects him in all weather.

2. Big sprinter looking bloke from SKCC who thinks he knows me. Always says hi, and asks why I haven't been racing (must have been talking **** to him in a crit or something).

3. MTB dude who races everyone and still looks surprised when you go over the same gutters and islands as him. Gee it's fun when you pretend your just commuting, but your heart rate is sitting on 180. (Yes, very immature of me, but still funny).

4. Man in Black. Not Will Smith, just some courier that has a black bike, black knicks, black jersey, black crumpler. Too tough for bike path, takes on the trucks on Footscray Rd.

There's probably heaps more, these are the ones that come to mind...

Marx SS said:
I’ll have to pay attention & report back. Footscray Rd/Maribynong River/ Moonee Ponds crk/City bike path travelers be on the look out.
:) so... which one are you?

Ali

On 2005-12-02, GPLama (aka Bruce)
> I've been commuting (er.. I mean 'training') to and from work along the same
> route(s) for a while now and have become quite familiar with the same
> similar faces along the way.. maybe you are one of these people!?

> FlyingDutch: Only when I take the main roads and am running late, sometimes
> on the way home, again, when I take the shortest way home.

I've never met him, but I bet he's a wheel sucker. The dutch all are.

Hey, someone should invent the FlyingScotsman.

--
TimC
If it weren't for C, we'd be writing programs in BASI, PASAL, and OBOL.

On 2005-12-02, Shabby (aka Bruce)

> Marx SS Wrote:
>> I’ll have to pay attention & report back. Footscray Rd/Maribynong River/
>> Moonee Ponds crk/City bike path travelers be on the look out.

> I can report on some of the Footscray path regulars I used to see going
> the other way:
>
> 1. Bloke with muttonchops always wearing a waterproof poncho and.
> Rain/hail/shine, poncho protects him in all weather.

Only one regular (no-one cycles out in bogan land). And old guy,
looks almost homeless - dressed in very old op-shop stuff. Plods
along in a low gear. Never looked at his bike. He has an old rag for
a bandana. See him go up and down a street I no longer use, at any
time of the day -- he seemed to have hours as irregular as mine.

> 2. Big sprinter looking bloke from SKCC who thinks he knows me. Always
> says hi, and asks why I haven't been racing (must have been talking
> **** to him in a crit or something).

There are all these people that keep saying "Hi Tim", and I have no
idea who they are. Heh.

> 3. MTB dude who races everyone and still looks surprised when you go
> over the same gutters and islands as him. Gee it's fun when you pretend
> your just commuting, but your heart rate is sitting on 180. (Yes, very
> immature of me, but still funny).

180. Hmmm. I tried out my new HRM lastnight (thanks, dej). Wrong
day, totally (30 degrees, and dripping by the time I got to the MBTC
meeting). Maxed out at 180 or so (178, or 181, I can't remember),
dragging off an ambulance (not attending to a patient, obviously). I
found, that if my max HR is 220-24=196, then I am doing almost my
entire commute in BLEVE's no-mans-land=E2. Only doing that for 50
mins a day, in two sessions, is that enough to be classed as
"over-training", if I don't give myself recovery days? Unlikely, I
would have thought.

And how the heck do you sit in E3 for any length of time? I probably
barely made E3 for a few seconds. Well, maybe I was in E9 under the
train lines, but the HRM wisely decided to discard that data. :)

--
TimC
"Indicators: There are controls in each vehicle that cause little bits

TimC said:
I've never met him, but I bet he's a wheel sucker. The dutch all are.

Wheelsucker is as Wheelsucker does :D
'Life is like a box o chocolates.
Now get up the friggin front and tow me. *****!' :D:D:D

TimC said:
180. Hmmm. I tried out my new HRM lastnight (thanks, dej). Wrong
day, totally (30 degrees, and dripping by the time I got to the MBTC
meeting). Maxed out at 180 or so (178, or 181, I can't remember),
dragging off an ambulance (not attending to a patient, obviously). I
found, that if my max HR is 220-24=196, then I am doing almost my
entire commute in BLEVE's no-mans-land=E2. Only doing that for 50
mins a day, in two sessions, is that enough to be classed as
"over-training", if I don't give myself recovery days? Unlikely, I
would have thought.

And how the heck do you sit in E3 for any length of time? I probably
barely made E3 for a few seconds. Well, maybe I was in E9 under the
train lines, but the HRM wisely decided to discard that data. :)
That formula is shite, it makes me a 9 year old. (My max is 211, AT is 175). You should be able to sit in E3 for 30 min or so once you get fitter.

E2 is useful training, but you need some easy miles as well, and commuting is a good time to get some of those in, as it's not always easy to hammer through traffic (ie. save your hard stuff for a time when you can get some quality training in).

You need to find your max by doing some maximal efforts, then do some races with the HRM to figure out roughly where your AT is. Then you can effectively set your heart rate zones, as they're not going to fit the formulas accurately.

dej said:
<snip>
There's a chick i see now and then, riding along either johnston/studley
park plus ive seen her along swanston st.. (no i'm not stalking)
rides a roady on one SS and an mtb on one SS
might i say, damn hottt! (with 3 t's)

If she's blonde & skinny, I can guess who. Rides an On-One SS cross bike or MTB but just got a Spot MTB in a colour I can't now remember.
She's in the same MTB club as me. Placed in top 3 females at last weeks SS nationals.

"Shabby" wrote in message ...

> Bikesoiler Wrote:
>> If she's blonde & skinny, I can guess who. Rides an On-One SS cross bike
>> or MTB but just got a Spot MTB in a colour I can't now remember.
>> She's in the same MTB club as me. Placed in top 3 females at last weeks
>> SS nationals.

> Is this her?
>
> http://www.bikenow.com.au/downloads/bikes/pink t--.jpg

Crikey, I likey!

cheers,
GPL

GPLama said:
[...]

I catch a few people going along scothmans creek every day between Laurance road burwood and Oakleigh pool between 7.15 and 8.00 depending on the day, some nod others just ignore but that fine.

Went past this wiry/skinny bloke with ABOC jersey and nicks yesterday morning on Lawerence road, I see him at Blackburns Veldrome on some thursday nights.

alison_b said:
:) so... which one are you?

Ali

Green Apollo MTB with hummie [they hum a lot] semi-slicks. Blk/red backpack, white Specialized helmutt. :D

"Bikesoiler" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> dej Wrote:
>> <snip>
>> There's a chick i see now and then, riding along either
>> johnston/studley
>> park plus ive seen her along swanston st.. (no i'm not stalking)
>> rides a roady on one SS and an mtb on one SS
>> might i say, damn hottt! (with 3 t's)

> If she's blonde & skinny, I can guess who. Rides an On-One SS cross
> bike or MTB but just got a Spot MTB in a colour I can't now remember.
> She's in the same MTB club as me. Placed in top 3 females at last weeks
> SS nationals.
>

> --
> Bikesoiler

yep, blonde and skinny
light blue on-one?

Marx SS said:
Green Apollo MTB with hummie [they hum a lot] semi-slicks. Blk/red backpack, white Specialized helmutt. :D
you're not one of the fellows riding down *and* up the steps near Flemington Bridge are you? :eek:

I would love to be able to do that... *sighs wistfully*

I'm on a silver and pink OCR1, usually a blue backpack, silver and yellow helmet.

cheers,
Ali

dej said:
"Bikesoiler" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> dej Wrote:
>> <snip>
>> There's a chick i see now and then, riding along either
>> johnston/studley
>> park plus ive seen her along swanston st.. (no i'm not stalking)
>> rides a roady on one SS and an mtb on one SS
>> might i say, damn hottt! (with 3 t's)

> If she's blonde & skinny, I can guess who. Rides an On-One SS cross
> bike or MTB but just got a Spot MTB in a colour I can't now remember.
> She's in the same MTB club as me. Placed in top 3 females at last weeks
> SS nationals.
>

> --
> Bikesoiler

yep, blonde and skinny
light blue on-one?

Yep.
She actually placed 1st at the SS nats.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11016430@N00/67701587/

BTW I know she's 'attached'.

OT: Are you still looking for an SS road frame/bike?