Damage to QR Carbon Fiber Frame- How Bad?

Hey,

A buddy of mine got a Quintana Roo carbon fiber frame shipped to him.
It was damaged in transit. He was wondering if it makes sense to get
the frame replaced or repaired professionally, or if he should just
live with it. The bike shop has offered to do the right thing and
repair or replace it. There are two defects. The downtube cable
stop is chipped. The seattube has a minor gash.

See 4 pics at: http://www.angelfire.com/de2/zooks/

Has anyone seen a CF frame fail because of a minor gash? I wouldn't
think so, especially on the seat tube.

Thanks, Rob

[email protected] wrote:
> Hey,
>
> A buddy of mine got a Quintana Roo carbon fiber frame shipped to him.
> It was damaged in transit. He was wondering if it makes sense to get
> the frame replaced or repaired professionally, or if he should just
> live with it. The bike shop has offered to do the right thing and
> repair or replace it. There are two defects. The downtube cable
> stop is chipped. The seattube has a minor gash.
>
> See 4 pics at: http://www.angelfire.com/de2/zooks/
>
> Has anyone seen a CF frame fail because of a minor gash? I wouldn't
> think so, especially on the seat tube.
>
> Thanks, Rob

highly unlikely there's any structural integrity problems - merely
cosmetic. but i'd still reject it and make a claim regarding shipping
though - i wouldn't want to pay that kind of money and have it arrive
damaged, however slightly.

> A buddy of mine got a Quintana Roo carbon fiber frame shipped to him.
> It was damaged in transit. He was wondering if it makes sense to get
> the frame replaced or repaired professionally, or if he should just
> live with it. The bike shop has offered to do the right thing and
> repair or replace it. There are two defects. The downtube cable
> stop is chipped. The seattube has a minor gash.
>
> See 4 pics at: http://www.angelfire.com/de2/zooks/
>
> Has anyone seen a CF frame fail because of a minor gash? I wouldn't
> think so, especially on the seat tube.

The problem isn't with the damage you actually see; the problem is that
there may be damage you don't see. You have no idea how the damage happened,
and thus have no idea how much force came into play against the frame.

I wouldn't be looking for advice on this newsgroup; I'd send the photos to
QR and see what they have to say about it, and make sure they still consider
it something that wouldn't invalidate their warranty. But even they can't
guarantee it against failure per se, since they also don't know how much
impact the frame took.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Feb 5, 6:58 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > A buddy of mine got a Quintana Roo carbon fiber frame shipped to him.
> > It was damaged in transit. He was wondering if it makes sense to get
> > the frame replaced or repaired professionally, or if he should just
> > live with it. The bike shop has offered to do the right thing and
> > repair or replace it. There are two defects. The downtube cable
> > stop is chipped. The seattube has a minor gash.

> > See 4 pics at: http://www.angelfire.com/de2/zooks/

> > Has anyone seen a CF frame fail because of a minor gash? I wouldn't
> > think so, especially on the seat tube.

> The problem isn't with the damage you actually see; the problem is that
> there may be damage you don't see. You have no idea how the damage happened,
> and thus have no idea how much force came into play against the frame.
>
> I wouldn't be looking for advice on this newsgroup; I'd send the photos to
> QR and see what they have to say about it, and make sure they still consider
> it something that wouldn't invalidate their warranty. But even they can't
> guarantee it against failure per se, since they also don't know how much
> impact the frame took.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I agree. If I damaged it myself, I'd probably just ignore it and
figure it probably is fine, but since it is new and a transport issue,
I'd do something about it. At the least get QR to confirm that the
warranty is still good as Mike suggests.

Joseph