Damaged thread: anything to do about it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per Löwdin, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Per Löwdin

Per Löwdin Guest

I got a small damage on my hub´s thread, on an interior axle, it is very slight, most of the thread
    is OK. Is it possible to fix or do I have to buy a new part? It is made in aluminium.

Per

Tags:

2. Cipher

Cipher New Member

If you have access to a Tap and Die set you can re-cut/clean-up the bad thread, or better yet take it to a tooling/machinist shop and see if they can do the job for you.

3. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:33:30 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]>
    may have said:

>I got a small damage on my hub´s thread, on an interior axle,

Err, where? This isn't making a lot of sense; maybe the caffiene level is still too low.

>it is very slight, most of the thread is OK. Is it possible to fix or do I have to buy a new part?
    >It is made in aluminium.

Chase the threads carefully with an appropriate tap and don't worry about it. If the thread is one
    for which no tap is available, you may have a bit of a challenge ahead of you.

--
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

4. Per Löwdin

Per Löwdin Guest

> >I got a small damage on my hub´s thread, on an interior axle,
    >
    > Err, where? This isn't making a lot of sense; maybe the caffiene level is still too low.

On the axle that holds the body.

> >it is very slight, most of the thread is OK. Is it possible to fix or do I have to
    buy
    > >a new part? It is made in aluminium.
    >
    > Chase the threads carefully with an appropriate tap and don't worry about it. If the thread is one
    > for which no tap is available, you may have a bit of a challenge ahead of you..

The problem is I can´t join the hub with the damage. Will try som experienced shop mechanic
    tomorrow, if it does not work I have not choice but to buy a new piece.

Per http://lowdin.nu

5. Per Löwdin

Per Löwdin Guest

> Chase the threads carefully with an appropriate tap and don't worry about it. If the thread is one
    > for which no tap is available, you may have a bit of a challenge ahead of you.

My LBS did it for a charge of 14 USD well worth the money considering that it is a pretty good hub.

Per http://lowdin.nu