Damiano Cunego Youngest UCI Number 1 Rank

Powerful Pete said:
Also depends on how badly Basso wants to ride the Giro, and whether Riis is willing to risk his relationship with a hot rider (at least in his current ability to go to any time he wants). Remember that with his performance in the second half of the 2004 seaon, Basso probably has a lot more say in his 2005 programme!

If all the CSC sponsorship troubles are true, it could also be the case that an Italian sponsor moves in as co-sponsor (remember, not so long ago it was CSC Tiscali, the latter being a major Italian ISP with European ambitions).
Also, given that the pro tour stands as is, CSC has to ride the Giro. That all depends if the Grand Tours and the UCI come to some agreement.
Being Italian, it would be safe to assume that Basso would want to win the Giro someday.

donhix1 said:
Also, given that the pro tour stands as is, CSC has to ride the Giro. That all depends if the Grand Tours and the UCI come to some agreement.
Being Italian, it would be safe to assume that Basso would want to win the Giro someday.

Touche'. Sometimes we seem to miss the obvious and try to come up with other possibilities, no matter how strange. Thanks donhix1, for bringing me back (or at least closer) to reality! :D

I just read this in eurosport.com

IVAN BASSO (ITA) - 3rd at the 2004 Tour

"This Tour looks tough -- as always. But my main goal for 2005 will be the Giro d'Italia. Once that's over, we'll see about the Tour de France. I'll lose time in the Tour's time-trials and it's not easy to recuperate in the mountain stages. I need to have another boost in my capabilities as a rider, like I had this year. These are the most important years of my cycling career."

Cunego vs Basso, I am just praying that OLN is going to cover it.

donhix1 said:
I just read this in eurosport.com

IVAN BASSO (ITA) - 3rd at the 2004 Tour

"This Tour looks tough -- as always. But my main goal for 2005 will be the Giro d'Italia. Once that's over, we'll see about the Tour de France. I'll lose time in the Tour's time-trials and it's not easy to recuperate in the mountain stages. I need to have another boost in my capabilities as a rider, like I had this year. These are the most important years of my cycling career."

Cunego vs Basso, I am just praying that OLN is going to cover it.

Do you know that Cunego will be team Giro leader instead of Simoni?

gntlmn said:
Do you know that Cunego will be team Giro leader instead of Simoni?
He is defending champ and the #1 ranked rider in the world, I think it is safe to say that Cunego is the team leader.

donhix1 said:
He is defending champ and the #1 ranked rider in the world, I think it is safe to say that Cunego is the team leader.

Yes, I am surprised that they did not sell off Simoni... :confused:

Powerful Pete said:
Yes, I am surprised that they did not sell off Simoni... :confused:
I just read this month's issue of Cyclesport. It was dedicated to Miguel Indurain. The Cunego/Simoni situation reminds me of Delgado/Indurain. Once Indurain asserted himself, Delgado had no choice but to play a supporting role.
Cunego's main weakness is his time trialing ability. But if Heras can be an adequate time trialer, I think they can do the same for Cunego.

donhix1 said:
Cunego's main weakness is his time trialing ability. But if Heras can be an adequate time trialer, I think they can do the same for Cunego.

Yes, his time trialling is weak, but remember that he is very young and can progress quite a bit...

Most of the riders can improve in TT`s at least to the level when they don`t have problems with them, so I`m sure Cunego will improve it soon, because just one TT in grand tour is big exception! He must be very happy to win this year!:)

Virenque said:
Simoni will be the leader in Giro! Check more here..
Wow, I find this surprising. Cunego is an up and coming star that seems to be more talented than Simoni. The Giro should be interesting.

Opposite situation would be very interesting! I can`t see Simoni helping younger team mates! Champion like he is can`t bear that! I think he`d leave the team and they considered that! If Cunego will go better like this year they can still change the leader during tour!

Virenque said:
Opposite situation would be very interesting! I can`t see Simoni helping younger team mates! Champion like he is can`t bear that! I think he`d leave the team and they considered that! If Cunego will go better like this year they can still change the leader during tour!
I think they will change leaders during the Giro. I just think that Cunego is a very talented rider and if he keeps improving he will be heads and tails above Simoni.