Damn mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Micheal Artindale, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    reason they like my blood.

    I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat nylon,
    which is what lycra is made of?

    so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?

    Micheal

    Tags:

  2. "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    > reason they like my blood.
    >
    > I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat
    > nylon,
    > which is what lycra is made of?
    >
    > so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    >
    > Micheal

    Don't stop pedaling..out run them.

  3. Firewalker

    Firewalker Guest

    "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    > reason they like my blood.
    >
    > I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat
    > nylon,
    > which is what lycra is made of?
    >
    > so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    >
    > Micheal

    Garlic has a natural sulfur which repels insects, including mosquitoes,
    ticks and fleas. Spraying garlic to keep insects away is not something new,
    farmers and master gardeners have been doing it for many generations.

    The juice does not harm humans or pets or plants, but to mosquitoes it can
    be deadly. The odor of it chases them out of the area and they stay away -
    for as long as they can detect the odor. While the odor of sprayed garlic
    juice becomes undetectable to humans within minutes, the mosquitoes will
    still detect it. Mosquitoes have a very heightened olfactory sense - as high
    as 10,000 times better than humans. They can detect the garlic extract for
    much longer periods of time and will stay away from the sprayed area for up
    to a month and more.

    or

    Homemade Bug Repellant
    Homemade Mosquito Repellant

    Materials:

    1/2 cup eucalyptus leaves
    1-1/2 cup cedar shavings
    6 cups rubbing alcohol

    Steps:

    1.Mix all materials and allow to sit for six days.

    2.Strain through cheesecloth into a spray bottle.

    3.There is enough mosquito repellant to last for a year and only
    costs about $1.

  4. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Micheal Artindale wrote:
    > Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For
    > some reason they like my blood.
    >
    > I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat
    > nylon, which is what lycra is made of?
    >
    > so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?

    Put the repellent on your exposed skin and not on the lycra.

    Bill "sky-high IQ" S.

  5. bomba

    bomba Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:54:37 -0400, Micheal Artindale wrote:

    > so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?

    I only have problems with mossies when I stop. Therefore, don't stop.

  6. Learn a new word Deet, use it.

    I MTB 2004

  7. Jason

    Jason Guest

    * Micheal Artindale <[email protected]>:
    > Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    > reason they like my blood.
    >
    > I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat nylon,
    > which is what lycra is made of?
    >
    > so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    >
    > Micheal

    Deet, learn it love it use it. I've sprayed Off directly on my riding
    shorts and jersey and nothing melted. If your concerned use an old pair
    of shorts as a test subject and see what happens.

    I also take a riding buddy along and use them as bait. ;)

    Jason

  8. "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > * Micheal Artindale <[email protected]>:
    > > Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    > > reason they like my blood.
    > >
    > > I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat

    nylon,
    > > which is what lycra is made of?
    > >
    > > so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    > >
    > > Micheal
    > >

    > Deet, learn it love it use it. I've sprayed Off directly on my riding
    > shorts and jersey and nothing melted. If your concerned use an old pair
    > of shorts as a test subject and see what happens.
    >
    > I also take a riding buddy along and use them as bait. ;)
    >
    > Jason

    Ive got "muskol"... it says to avoid synthetic fibres... which my shorts r
    made off...

    Micheal

  9. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:54:37 -0400, Micheal Artindale wrote:
    >
    > > so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?

    > I only have problems with mossies when I stop. Therefore, don't stop.

    Some places here that is impossible....and that is where they r the worst. I
    thinkm they know where they can get a free lunch

    Micheal

  10. "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Micheal Artindale wrote:
    > > Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For
    > > some reason they like my blood.
    > >
    > > I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat
    > > nylon, which is what lycra is made of?
    > >
    > > so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?

    > Put the repellent on your exposed skin and not on the lycra.
    >
    > Bill "sky-high IQ" S.

    They like to bite my covered skin..... lycra isnt thick enough to block
    them.

    Micheal

  11. "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >* Micheal Artindale <[email protected]>:
    >> Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    >> reason they like my blood.
    >>
    >> I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat
    >> nylon,
    >> which is what lycra is made of?
    >>
    >> so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    >>
    >> Micheal
    >>

    > Deet, learn it love it use it. I've sprayed Off directly on my riding
    > shorts and jersey and nothing melted. If your concerned use an old pair
    > of shorts as a test subject and see what happens.
    >
    > I also take a riding buddy along and use them as bait. ;)
    >
    > Jason

    This May when I went to Belize, I bought some Jungle Juice from REI. That
    stuff is nasty...it was a toss up what was worse the Deet or mosquitoes.

  12. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:54:37 -0400, "Micheal Artindale"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    ..reason they like my blood.
    ..
    ..I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat nylon,
    ..which is what lycra is made of?
    ..
    ..so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?

    Stay on paved roads. DUH!

    ..Micheal
    ..

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  13. On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:53:25 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:54:37 -0400, Micheal Artindale wrote:
    ..
    ..> so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    ..
    ..I only have problems with mossies when I stop. Therefore, don't stop.

    Better yet, don't START!
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  14. "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:54:37 -0400, "Micheal Artindale"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > .Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    > .reason they like my blood.
    > .
    > .I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat

    nylon,
    > .which is what lycra is made of?
    > .
    > .so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    >
    > Stay on paved roads. DUH!
    >
    > .Micheal
    > .
    >
    > ===
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    I dont know about where you are, but even on paved roads... that went
    through forests when you were a kid.... there are still lots of mosquitoes.
    In my backyard there are lots of mosquitoes.

    Micheal

    I am enjoying the outdoors... but if mosquitoes get on the endangered
    species list... i will do my part to make them extinct

  15. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Mike Vandeman wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:54:37 -0400, "Micheal Artindale"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > .Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For
    > some .reason they like my blood.
    > .
    > .I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat
    > nylon, .which is what lycra is made of?
    > .
    > .so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    >
    > Stay on paved roads. DUH!

    Post of the year.

    Bill "skeeters 'skayrt of asphalt?!???!??!?!??!?!?!????!??" S.

  16. "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:54:37 -0400, "Micheal Artindale"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > .Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For some
    > .reason they like my blood.
    > .
    > .I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat

    nylon,
    > .which is what lycra is made of?
    > .
    > .so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    >
    > Stay on paved roads. DUH!
    >
    > .Micheal
    > .

    There's a good idea because EVERYBODY knows mosquitos don't fly around
    pavement. Sheesh! What a moron ...

  17. "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:54:37 -0400, "Micheal Artindale"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > .Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For

    some
    > > .reason they like my blood.
    > > .
    > > .I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat

    > nylon,
    > > .which is what lycra is made of?
    > > .
    > > .so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?
    > >
    > > Stay on paved roads. DUH!
    > >
    > > .Micheal
    > > .

    > There's a good idea because EVERYBODY knows mosquitos don't fly around
    > pavement. Sheesh! What a moron ...

    Having a PHD doesnt mean you are smart...... and he just proved it.

    Micheal

  18. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Micheal Artindale wrote:
    > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Micheal Artindale wrote:
    >>> Around where I bike, the mosquitoes are still out in full fury. For
    >>> some reason they like my blood.
    >>>
    >>> I was going to spray bug repellent on me, but ive heard it would eat
    >>> nylon, which is what lycra is made of?
    >>>
    >>> so, what should i do to fend off these mosquitoes?

    >> Put the repellent on your exposed skin and not on the lycra.
    >>
    >> Bill "sky-high IQ" S.
    >>

    > They like to bite my covered skin..... lycra isnt thick enough to
    > block them.
    >
    > Micheal

    I put DEET over lycra all the time. I keep it to a light mist and it hasn't
    eaten holes in my shorts or anything. Even if it shortens the life of the
    shorts (which I haven't noticed) I figure it worth it not to have bites on
    my ass.

    Matt (also popular with parasites despite my high garlic diet)

  19. Gwood

    Gwood Guest

    Yeah, I recall a snapped chain incident several years ago when I was riding
    in a damp forest with a light shirt and shorts. By the time I extricated
    myself from the bushes and made sure they weren't three-leaved, the little
    vampires were all over me.

    It was either stick it out for the repair or jog my bike out several miles.
    Doubtful if the jogging would have been fast enough.

    What I *did* do was backtrack to a little creek crossing and slather some
    mud on my exposed legs. That way I only needed to fend them off from my
    upper body during the repair. Should have done the entire pig roll, since I
    probably had a hundred bites from the waist up.

    In 6 years biking here in Oregon, I've gotten maybe two dozen mosquitoe
    bites. You'd think they'd thrive in the damp coastal forests here, but they
    are surprisingly rare. Guess I just avoid the nasty spots when it's really
    rainy and warm.