Damn motorcycles using bicyole lanes on St. KIlda Road!!!

Paulus

Guest
I got held up by a motoryclist using the bike lane on St.Kilda road on my
way home today. Fair enough if he had been turning left within 50m. Fair
enough if he had been doing a decent speed, but he was dawdling along
hogging the laneat 25kph. Also, his mirrors were adjusted to look at the
sky (figure that one out, maybe he is scared of planes hitting him???) so he
did not see me looking annoyed (and I think he did not hear my horn going
blert belrt blert either!)

What's wrong with good old fashin lane splitting like everyone else soes on
their motorcikes (myself included).

Grrrrr.

Suprisingly the peds were well behaved in general on the trail next to the
Yarra this evening. Yay for small mercies.

the bike lane next to Treasury house, along macarthur (entering collins) gets a cop, sititng on a chair occasionally (seen him/her 4/5 times in last month...) booking M'bikes in bikelane. due apparently to MCC getting a incident report re a bike getting hit by m'bike in their lane.
report it. maybe you can earn an officer down your way too :D

PS lookiing at MCC blackspot data (for bikes) what is it about the corner 2 sidestreets north of Albert St Oval along St K Rd that makes it so bad?

The usual suspects i undersyand, but not this one???
1 taxi rank at Flinder St Station
2 Haymarket roundabout
3 St K Rd at Toorak Rd (northbound)
4 the above-mentioned intersection?????

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:08:27 +1100, "Paulus" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I got held up by a motoryclist using the bike lane on St.Kilda road on my
>way home today. Fair enough if he had been turning left within 50m. Fair
>enough if he had been doing a decent speed, but he was dawdling along
>hogging the laneat 25kph. Also, his mirrors were adjusted to look at the
>sky (figure that one out, maybe he is scared of planes hitting him???) so he
>did not see me looking annoyed (and I think he did not hear my horn going
>blert belrt blert either!)
>
>What's wrong with good old fashin lane splitting like everyone else soes on
>their motorcikes (myself included).
>
>Grrrrr.
>
>Suprisingly the peds were well behaved in general on the trail next to the
>Yarra this evening. Yay for small mercies.

I used to head up the bicycle lane till i got pulled over by a
motorbike cop threatening to book me cause i was being a danger to
myself or someshit. Now I lanesplit.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:51:39 +1100, flyingdutch wrote:

> PS lookiing at MCC blackspot data (for bikes) what is it about the
> corner 2 sidestreets north of Albert St Oval along St K Rd that makes
> it so bad?

If you are talking about intersections of hanna & louise sts, and St Kilda
road, its because they are uncontrolled, and when you get a lot of traffic
inbound, they stop and leave a gap for cars turning right out of St kilda
road into those streets, and the cars just drive through without thinking
about the bike lane

--

phillip brown

"**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:08:27 +1100, Paulus wrote:

> I got held up by a motoryclist using the bike lane on St.Kilda road on
> my way home today. Fair enough if he had been turning left within 50m.
> Fair enough if he had been doing a decent speed, but he was dawdling
> along hogging the laneat 25kph. Also, his mirrors were adjusted to look
> at the sky (figure that one out, maybe he is scared of planes hitting
> him???) so he did not see me looking annoyed (and I think he did not
> hear my horn going blert belrt blert either!)
>
> What's wrong with good old fashin lane splitting like everyone else soes
> on their motorcikes (myself included).
>
> Grrrrr.
>
> Suprisingly the peds were well behaved in general on the trail next to
> the Yarra this evening. Yay for small mercies.

Don't know how many of you know the section of Malvern Road between
Wattletree Road and High Street. There is a bike lane, but in the mornings
when traffic builds up due to traffic turning right into High Street to
get onto the Monash carpark, you get drivers trying to use the bike lane
to get past the line of traffic. Except there is usually cars parked so
there isn't actually enough room so they end up blocking the bike lane.
Had some silly ***** in a Mercedes do that this morning, so I gave the
boot a thump as I went past. She had the cheek to pull up next to me at
the lights and have a go at me. I pointed out she was breaking the law
but she still kept at me. I just ignored her. I think next time I'll
tell them that I will pass their rego onto the police so the police can
explain rules 153 and 158 of the Victorian Road Rules to them. That might
shut them up.

--

Phillip Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:08:27 +1100, Paulus wrote:
>
>> I got held up by a motoryclist using the bike lane on St.Kilda road on
>> my way home today. Fair enough if he had been turning left within 50m.
>> Fair enough if he had been doing a decent speed, but he was dawdling
>> along hogging the laneat 25kph. Also, his mirrors were adjusted to look
>> at the sky (figure that one out, maybe he is scared of planes hitting
>> him???) so he did not see me looking annoyed (and I think he did not
>> hear my horn going blert belrt blert either!)
>>
>> What's wrong with good old fashin lane splitting like everyone else soes
>> on their motorcikes (myself included).
>>
>> Grrrrr.
>>
>> Suprisingly the peds were well behaved in general on the trail next to
>> the Yarra this evening. Yay for small mercies.

> Don't know how many of you know the section of Malvern Road between
> Wattletree Road and High Street. There is a bike lane, but in the mornings
> when traffic builds up due to traffic turning right into High Street to
> get onto the Monash carpark, you get drivers trying to use the bike lane
> to get past the line of traffic. Except there is usually cars parked so
> there isn't actually enough room so they end up blocking the bike lane.
> Had some silly ***** in a Mercedes do that this morning, so I gave the
> boot a thump as I went past. She had the cheek to pull up next to me at
> the lights and have a go at me. I pointed out she was breaking the law
> but she still kept at me. I just ignored her. I think next time I'll
> tell them that I will pass their rego onto the police so the police can
> explain rules 153 and 158 of the Victorian Road Rules to them. That might
> shut them up.

Or invite them to go to the police station with you to let the police
decide who is right.

--
Ben
Car related lyric of the week: "Rollin', in my 5.0, with my ragtop down

"PHATRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Phillip Brown wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:08:27 +1100, Paulus wrote:
>>
>>> I got held up by a motoryclist using the bike lane on St.Kilda road on
>>> my way home today. Fair enough if he had been turning left within 50m.
>>> Fair enough if he had been doing a decent speed, but he was dawdling
>>> along hogging the laneat 25kph. Also, his mirrors were adjusted to look
>>> at the sky (figure that one out, maybe he is scared of planes hitting
>>> him???) so he did not see me looking annoyed (and I think he did not
>>> hear my horn going blert belrt blert either!)
>>>
>>> What's wrong with good old fashin lane splitting like everyone else soes
>>> on their motorcikes (myself included).
>>>
>>> Grrrrr.
>>>
>>> Suprisingly the peds were well behaved in general on the trail next to
>>> the Yarra this evening. Yay for small mercies.

>> Don't know how many of you know the section of Malvern Road between
>> Wattletree Road and High Street. There is a bike lane, but in the
>> mornings
>> when traffic builds up due to traffic turning right into High Street to
>> get onto the Monash carpark, you get drivers trying to use the bike lane
>> to get past the line of traffic. Except there is usually cars parked so
>> there isn't actually enough room so they end up blocking the bike lane.
>> Had some silly ***** in a Mercedes do that this morning, so I gave the
>> boot a thump as I went past. She had the cheek to pull up next to me at
>> the lights and have a go at me. I pointed out she was breaking the law
>> but she still kept at me. I just ignored her. I think next time I'll
>> tell them that I will pass their rego onto the police so the police can
>> explain rules 153 and 158 of the Victorian Road Rules to them. That
>> might
>> shut them up.
>>

> Or invite them to go to the police station with you to let the police
> decide who is right.
>
> --
> Ben
> Car related lyric of the week: "Rollin', in my 5.0, with my ragtop down so
> my hair can blow"

I had an RACV emergency vehicle driver, after almost knocking me off my bike
in St Kilda Rd, tell me that I shouldn't have been overtaking his car in the
bicycle lane.................

Henry

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 07:57:56 +1100, "hemyd"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I had an RACV emergency vehicle driver, after almost knocking me off my bike
>in St Kilda Rd, tell me that I shouldn't have been overtaking his car in the
>bicycle lane.................

Approaching an intersection with left turning trafic to your right is
a good time to be cautious. Was that the sitch?

Years ago, I had an NRMA van come screaming out of a side street
turning left and nearly smear me across his drivers door. I had no
time to think so was able to lift myself and bike sideways out of the
way. Can't do anything like that if I try.