Damn Pedestrians

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote

> A pedestrian walked out in front of me without looking. I'm going quite fast so shout at him,
> shout again,

Since you had time to shout (twice) the ped was obviously some distance in front of you. Do you have
brakes? What do you do when a car gets in your way?

> and eventually just about scoot by him, only getting a touch from his rucksack.

You sound like "motorists" on other newsgroups trying to "blame" pedestrians. I do agree that peds
seem to be more oblivious of bikes than cars but is something you have to deal with.

David Roberts

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:52:53 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

>when a pedestrian steps out into the road he/she is putting themselves at risk - going where
>pedestrians shouldn't really be - on the open road, off the pavement.

Another bit of cager victim-blaming, I'm afraid. Pedestrians are not restricted to the footway,
although they are advised to keep to it where one exists (http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/01.shtml)
- motor vehicles, and vehicles generally, do not "own" the carriageway, whatever their drivers
might think.

See also <http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/20.shtml#180>

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

"DR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote
>
> > A pedestrian walked out in front of me without looking. I'm going quite fast so shout at him,
> > shout again,
>
> Since you had time to shout (twice) the ped was obviously some distance in front of you. Do you
> have brakes? What do you do when a car gets in your way?

I didn't stop, granted, and that was a mistake on my part. However, it was a matter of seconds
between him stepping out and me passing him. I suppose I'm just irritated that someone would be so
reckless as to step out into a busy street without looking even once.

> > and eventually just about scoot by him, only getting a touch from his rucksack.
>
> You sound like "motorists" on other newsgroups trying to "blame" pedestrians.

I can see how that would come across from my post. However, I like to think that I'm willing to
learn from my mistakes. But I think my original point still stands - that cyclists have to deal with
a lot more danger from peds than we do from cars, whether or not blame is apportioned.

>I do agree that peds seem to be more oblivious of bikes than cars but is something you have to
>deal with.

As I'm rapidly finding out :)

Thomas.

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:50:46 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:52:53 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>when a pedestrian steps out into the road he/she is putting themselves at risk - going where
>>pedestrians shouldn't really be - on the open road, off the pavement.
>
>Another bit of cager victim-blaming, I'm afraid.

eh????? fraid not. I wasn't aware that er...*cagers* were being discussed here....<sigh>....but I
guess they're never far away.

>Pedestrians are not restricted to the footway,

This would be correct.

>although they are advised to keep to it where one exists (http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/01.shtml)
>- motor vehicles, and vehicles generally, do not "own" the carriageway, whatever their drivers
>might think.

See also this, same page:

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/01.shtml#1

b. Stop just before you get to the kerb, where you can see if anything is coming. Do not get too
close to the traffic. If there is no pavement, keep back from the edge of the road but make sure
you can still see approaching traffic.

c. Look all around for traffic and listen. Traffic could come from any direction. Listen as well,
because you can sometimes hear traffic before you see it.

d. If traffic is coming, let it pass. Look all around again and listen. Do not cross until there
is a safe gap in the traffic and you are certain that there is plenty of time. Remember, even
if traffic is a long way off, it may be approaching very quickly.

e. When it is safe, go straight across the road - do not run. Keep looking and listening for
traffic while you cross, in case there is any traffic you did not see, or in case other traffic
appears suddenly.

Just alluding to the basics.....that's all....eyes and ears....are useful.

Garry

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:48:15 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>when a pedestrian steps out into the road he/she is putting themselves at risk - going where
>>>pedestrians shouldn't really be - on the open road, off the pavement.

>>Another bit of cager victim-blaming, I'm afraid.

>eh????? fraid not. I wasn't aware that er...*cagers* were being discussed here....<sigh>....but I
>guess they're never far away.

True enough. The point I was making is that the idea that the pedestrian doesn't belong on the road,
and is therefore somehow to blame for his own downfall should he stray onto the carriageway, is a
cager victim-blaming tactic, that's all. Pedestrians have the right to cross the road, and the right
not to be killed if they choose to walk down the middle fo the road. It may be stupid but it's
implied by driving within the distance which wecans ee to be clear, which also applies to bikes.

>See also this, same page:

Seen it. I've also seen materials aimed at primary school children teaching them to defer to cars
and getting the idea that cars rule supreme on the roads and all other sources of danger (including
bikes and roller skaters, for example) are therefore negligible. Which, statistically, they are. But
what happens when those children have bikes and roller skates and haven't been told that they
present a danger to others? And when they start driving, surely they will think "aha, all those
pedestrians have been told to get out of my way - I am now a Road Owner!"

ISTM that spending vast resources on educating the victims to get out of the way while letting the
cause of the problem continue unchecked may not be the best way forward.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on

>>
>>> A pedestrian walked out in front of me without looking.

I think you will find that they spend their time looking down mesmerised by the pleasing contrast of
the red surface next to their latest generation "Nike" trainers. I Medway the shared lanes are
largely occupied by 14 year old single mothers pushing the next generation of drug dealer in their
battered Mothercare pushchair, there is no point trying to get them to move as they only react to
rustling of a bag of cocain.

Ian

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:17:05 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:48:15 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>>>when a pedestrian steps out into the road he/she is putting themselves at risk - going where
>>>>pedestrians shouldn't really be - on the open road, off the pavement.
>
>>>Another bit of cager victim-blaming, I'm afraid.
>
>>eh????? fraid not. I wasn't aware that er...*cagers* were being discussed here....<sigh>....but I
>>guess they're never far away.
>
>True enough. The point I was making is that the idea that the pedestrian doesn't belong on the
>road, and is therefore somehow to blame for his own downfall should he stray onto the
>carriageway, is a cager victim-blaming tactic, that's all. Pedestrians have the right to cross
>the road, and the right not to be killed if they choose to walk down the middle fo the road. It
>may be stupid but it's implied by driving within the distance which wecans ee to be clear, which
>also applies to bikes.

Sure. It may have been my ambiguous choice of words ("going where pedestrians shouldn't really be")
that led you to think I was of a mind that pedestrians didn't have the right to be on the road. This
was not my intention of meaning. What I was trying to say was when pedestrians do venture out onto
the road they are putting themselves at a certain risk, a certain awareness needs to be in evidence.

Remember 'stopping distances' for the driving test - at a certain speed a vehicle should (ideally)
be a *certain* distance behind the traffic object in front, in order to stop safely. And I'm
assuming that these figures are the result of experiments done over a period of time. How many car
drivers leave a safe distance between them and the car in front? - but that's a whole different
kettle of fish). So if a pedestrian wanders out into the road, giving the car driver/cyclist no
chance whatsoever to coordinate his/her reactions, what chance have they?

We're getting away from the original post a bit here. But my own cycling experiences of pedestrians
stepping out into the road in this way is that I'm seldom going fast enough not to stop. But how
many times I've muttered or cursed? I've lost count.

>>See also this, same page:
>
>Seen it. I've also seen materials aimed at primary school children teaching them to defer to cars
>and getting the idea that cars rule supreme on the roads and all other sources of danger (including
>bikes and roller skaters, for example) are therefore negligible. Which, statistically, they are.
>But what happens when those children have bikes and roller skates and haven't been told that they
>present a danger to others? And when they start driving, surely they will think "aha, all those
>pedestrians have been told to get out of my way - I am now a Road Owner!"

Children. Reminds me of yesterday. Cycling up to the market, I came across what looked like a
properly coordinated young persons highway code/cycling proficiency class. All these youngsters on
their bikes, with helmets, with luminous yellow tops, cycling along the side of the road doing hand
signals, stopping, left turns, slowing down etc... Stopped to have a quick chat to one of the guys
organizing it, who told me about the general abuse from car drivers that can happen from time to
time, and the story about a woman who actually 'drove' her car at the kids, stopping and 'revving'
in high defiance!!!!!! Depressing ****.

>ISTM that spending vast resources on educating the victims to get out of the way while letting the
>cause of the problem continue unchecked may not be the best way forward.

No sure, not disagreeing with you.

Garry

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:22:59 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

>the story about a woman who actually 'drove' her car at the kids, stopping and 'revving' in high
>defiance!!!!!!

I would report her to the plod, and write to the local press. With the registration number, and an
accurate description of the mad cow. Hopefully a Mob would be constituted[1].

[1] see http://www.thinkofthechildren.co.uk

Guy
===

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:22:59 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

Oops, missed the rest of the post in t'other reply.

>It may have been my ambiguous choice of words ("going where pedestrians shouldn't really be") that
>led you to think I was of a mind that pedestrians didn't have the right to be on the road. This was
>not my intention of meaning. What I was trying to say was when pedestrians do venture out onto the
>road they are putting themselves at a certain risk, a certain awareness needs to be in evidence.

Not disputed. As you suggest it was the choice of words which raised the red flag for me - put it
down to posting under the influence of Robert Davies.

>We're getting away from the original post a bit here. But my own cycling experiences of pedestrians
>stepping out into the road in this way is that I'm seldom going fast enough not to stop. But how
>many times I've muttered or cursed? I've lost count.

Indeed - see also my point about education. We've persuaded peds that the only thing they need to
look out for is cars, and we've taught drivers that everybody should be looking out for them. Not a
healthy position.

Guy
===

"Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk>
> "DR" <[email protected]> wrote
> > "Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote
> >
> > > A pedestrian walked out in front of me without looking. I'm going quite fast so shout at him,
> > > shout again,
> >
> > Since you had time to shout (twice) the ped was obviously some distance in front of you. Do you
> > have brakes? What do you do when a car gets in your way?

> I didn't stop, granted, and that was a mistake on my part.

> However, it was a matter of seconds between him stepping out and me passing him. I suppose I'm
> just irritated <snip>.

Granted.

David Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.