DAMN that was good, thanks to all! ("that" oriental flavor)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by OmManiPadmeOmelet, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.

    Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
    getting back to My Thanh and buying some.

    Today's stir fry:

    1 large yellow onion, chopped
    1 whole head of fresh garlic, peeled and pressed
    1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger root (approx. 3 tbs.)
    1 lb. fresh shitake mushrooms de-stemmed and cut in 1/2
    1/2 lb. of asparagus string beans broken into 2" sections
    A 4" section of smoked sausage sliced fine (it needed to be used up!)

    1 generous sprinkling of salt free lemon pepper
    same as above, dried dill weed
    some mushroom soy sauce
    approx. 1 cup of very dry merlot wine
    2 generous "glops" of oyster sauce
    a smidgin of sesame oil
    approx. 2 to 3 tbs. toasted sesame seeds

    Once the onions were nice and limp, I added to that:

    1 lb. peeled and deveined fresh shrimp
    3 (leftover) grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced thin.

    Cooked until the shrimp just turned pink and the chicken was re-warmed.

    I wanted to lick the bowl........ ;-d

    The addition of the wine was accidental.
    By the time the beans, mushrooms and onions were pretty much done, I was
    not done peeling the shrimp yet and I needed to add some liquid to the
    pan to prevent burning. I did NOT want to add water. This wine was so
    dry, it was pretty much only useful for cooking so I added enough to wet
    the pan while I was finishing up the shrimp.

    It worked. ;-D

    Sorry, no jpegs. I was hungry and so was dad...
    --
    Peace, Om.

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
    >
    > Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
    > getting back to My Thanh and buying some.
    >
    > Today's stir fry:
    >
    > 1 large yellow onion, chopped
    > 1 whole head of fresh garlic, peeled and pressed
    > 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger root (approx. 3 tbs.)
    > 1 lb. fresh shitake mushrooms de-stemmed and cut in 1/2
    > 1/2 lb. of asparagus string beans broken into 2" sections
    > A 4" section of smoked sausage sliced fine (it needed to be used up!)
    >

    > 1 generous sprinkling of salt free lemon pepper
    > same as above, dried dill weed
    > some mushroom soy sauce
    > approx. 1 cup of very dry merlot wine
    > 2 generous "glops" of oyster sauce
    > a smidgin of sesame oil
    > approx. 2 to 3 tbs. toasted sesame seeds
    >
    > Once the onions were nice and limp, I added to that:
    >
    > 1 lb. peeled and deveined fresh shrimp
    > 3 (leftover) grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced thin.
    >
    > Cooked until the shrimp just turned pink and the chicken was re-warmed.
    >
    > I wanted to lick the bowl........ ;-d
    >
    > The addition of the wine was accidental.
    > By the time the beans, mushrooms and onions were pretty much done, I was
    > not done peeling the shrimp yet and I needed to add some liquid to the
    > pan to prevent burning. I did NOT want to add water. This wine was so
    > dry, it was pretty much only useful for cooking so I added enough to wet
    > the pan while I was finishing up the shrimp.
    >
    > It worked. ;-D
    >
    > Sorry, no jpegs. I was hungry and so was dad...

    Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
    not have that dryness problem (coulda squirted in a glop of KY). And
    it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
    > >
    > > Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
    > > getting back to My Thanh and buying some.
    > >
    > > Today's stir fry:
    > >
    > > 1 large yellow onion, chopped
    > > 1 whole head of fresh garlic, peeled and pressed
    > > 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger root (approx. 3 tbs.)
    > > 1 lb. fresh shitake mushrooms de-stemmed and cut in 1/2
    > > 1/2 lb. of asparagus string beans broken into 2" sections
    > > A 4" section of smoked sausage sliced fine (it needed to be used up!)
    > >

    > > 1 generous sprinkling of salt free lemon pepper
    > > same as above, dried dill weed
    > > some mushroom soy sauce
    > > approx. 1 cup of very dry merlot wine
    > > 2 generous "glops" of oyster sauce
    > > a smidgin of sesame oil
    > > approx. 2 to 3 tbs. toasted sesame seeds
    > >
    > > Once the onions were nice and limp, I added to that:
    > >
    > > 1 lb. peeled and deveined fresh shrimp
    > > 3 (leftover) grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced thin.
    > >
    > > Cooked until the shrimp just turned pink and the chicken was re-warmed.
    > >
    > > I wanted to lick the bowl........ ;-d
    > >
    > > The addition of the wine was accidental.
    > > By the time the beans, mushrooms and onions were pretty much done, I was
    > > not done peeling the shrimp yet and I needed to add some liquid to the
    > > pan to prevent burning. I did NOT want to add water. This wine was so
    > > dry, it was pretty much only useful for cooking so I added enough to wet
    > > the pan while I was finishing up the shrimp.
    > >
    > > It worked. ;-D
    > >
    > > Sorry, no jpegs. I was hungry and so was dad...

    > Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
    > not have that dryness problem.

    I thought about that, but I generally use Arrowroot as it's less likely
    to "break" under refrigeration. I'm nearly out at the moment. :)

    Would not hurt to use it even now if I made the sauce seperately. I'd
    not want to ruin the shrimp by over-cooking on reheating. I have stock
    on hand and there is some very flavorful juice in the bowl with the
    leftovers.

    > And
    > it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.

    I'm low carbing... ;-)

    But I do have some Shitake on hand. It would need to be pre-cooked first
    in some plain stock and soy sauce.

    Thanks Shel'!

    <smooch>
    --
    Peace, Om.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
    > not have that dryness problem (coulda squirted in a glop of KY). And
    > it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.

    Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>

    One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......
    --
    Peace, Om.

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > "Sheldon" wrote:
    > >
    > > Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
    > > not have that dryness problem (coulda squirted in a glop of KY). And
    > > it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.
    > >

    > Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>
    >
    > One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......

    Jullienne a chunk of tofu.

    Sheldon

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > "Sheldon" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
    > > > not have that dryness problem (coulda squirted in a glop of KY). And
    > > > it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.
    > > >

    > > Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>
    > >
    > > One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......

    > Jullienne a chunk of tofu.
    >
    > Sheldon

    Ew. :p

    Still too high in carbs...

    Scrambled eggs maybe.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:50:41 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
    >
    >Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
    >getting back to My Thanh and buying some.

    That was me, I'm sure ;-) Which brand did you end up getting?
    I've been shopping around for a new brand since the LKK Premium
    sauce (with the gondola on the front) is just too sweet for me
    nowdays.

    Tonight I picked up some Thai Makrea brand, and Dynasty. Dynasty
    is OK, but still sweet. The Thai brand isn't sweet, but it lacks
    flavor.

    I really want to find Amoy brand again. My Thanh used to carry
    it, but not the last time I was there.

    -sw

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:50:41 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
    > >
    > >Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
    > >getting back to My Thanh and buying some.

    > That was me, I'm sure ;-)

    You were one of a few, and I appreciated it, thanks!

    > Which brand did you end up getting?

    Amoy. It was lower in Sodium than some, and a reasonable price so I
    decided to give it a shot. I also picked up a large bottle of mushroom
    soy sauce.

    > I've been shopping around for a new brand since the LKK Premium
    > sauce (with the gondola on the front) is just too sweet for me
    > nowdays.

    If I want sweet, I'll use Hoisin.

    > Tonight I picked up some Thai Makrea brand, and Dynasty. Dynasty
    > is OK, but still sweet. The Thai brand isn't sweet, but it lacks
    > flavor.
    >
    > I really want to find Amoy brand again. My Thanh used to carry
    > it, but not the last time I was there.

    I bought this Amoy at My Thanh. :)
    It's excellent.

    > -sw

    Cheers!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  9. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
    >
    > Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
    > getting back to My Thanh and buying some.

    Another good condiment is Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce if you like
    slightly hot, spicy and sweet with a hint of garlic. It's available in
    the asian section of many grocery stores. A 32-oz bottle is about $
    2.50. For a fusion meal, use it as a dipping sauce for taquitos.

    http://americangourmetfoods.com/viewitem.php?item=2011&category=4&subcategory=0

    Rusty

  10. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>
    >
    > One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......

    "This is my rifle, this is my gun..."

    :)

    Bob M.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
    > >
    > > Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
    > > getting back to My Thanh and buying some.
    > >

    > Another good condiment is Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce if you like
    > slightly hot, spicy and sweet with a hint of garlic. It's available in
    > the asian section of many grocery stores. A 32-oz bottle is about $
    > 2.50. For a fusion meal, use it as a dipping sauce for taquitos.
    >
    > http://americangourmetfoods.com/viewitem.php?item=2011&category=4&subcategory=
    > 0
    >
    > Rusty

    Thanks!
    I've never tried out any chili sauces... If I want hot/garlicy, I
    generally start from scratch but since I don't always have the time, a
    decent short cut is appreciated.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>
    > >
    > > One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......

    > "This is my rifle, this is my gun..."
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Bob M.

    One is for work and one is for fun....... ;-D

    "Full Metal Jacket" quote.
    --
    Peace, Om.