Damn thee, mysterious click!

landotter

Guest
The problem is solved, so stop here if you're reading to be simply
helpful. (thanks for looking, though!)

With each revolution of the pedals--after tossing the fixie through
some fire roads, I developed mystery click! I thought it was some sort
of damnation for abusing the bike. Must have cracked something.

Checked the frame. No cracks. Wheels were true as always. Rebuilt
pedals, torqued down. Lubed spd interface, pulled cranks and greased
spindles, oiled the front of chainring bolts and torqued, greased
saddle/post clamp area. Nothing. Still Tick tck Tick tck on the right
side with moderate pressure. Even circles made it go away. Cursing.
Several more moderately long rides on this 'un and it's getting to be
like a tap that you want to destroy. Drip drip drip drip. Then I
stared at the thing and saw the difference between this bike and
virtually all of my others past and present. A seat post collar! I
prayed over a bowl of matzo ball soup (lie) and removed the collar,
greased it and the post for good measure. Replaced and torqued up.
Sweet silence!

To that dumb list of **** to check when you've got a tick or click,
add the seat post collar. Or is it already there?

In article
<[email protected]>,
landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> The problem is solved, so stop here if you're reading to be simply
> helpful. (thanks for looking, though!)
>

> With each revolution of the pedals--after tossing the fixie through
> some fire roads, I developed mystery click! I thought it was some sort
> of damnation for abusing the bike. Must have cracked something.
>
> Checked the frame. No cracks. Wheels were true as always. Rebuilt
> pedals, torqued down. Lubed spd interface, pulled cranks and greased
> spindles, oiled the front of chainring bolts and torqued, greased
> saddle/post clamp area. Nothing. Still Tick tck Tick tck on the right
> side with moderate pressure. Even circles made it go away. Cursing.
> Several more moderately long rides on this 'un and it's getting to be
> like a tap that you want to destroy. Drip drip drip drip. Then I
> stared at the thing and saw the difference between this bike and
> virtually all of my others past and present. A seat post collar! I
> prayed over a bowl of matzo ball soup (lie) and removed the collar,
> greased it and the post for good measure. Replaced and torqued up.
> Sweet silence!
>
> To that dumb list of **** to check when you've got a tick or click,
> add the seat post collar. Or is it already there?

When diagnosing a mystery noise, resist the impulse to
start tinkering. Usually quicker to vary riding
technique in every way you can dream up. In the saddle,
out of the saddle, one foot pedaling, no hands, one
hand, extreme weight shifts, ...

--
Michael Press