Damned it is cold

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. The temps have finally dropped. I beez a happy camper. I can actually
    breathe. I'm going to fire up the Jeep and find me a decent grater at
    Target to make my Spaetzle (sp). I'll make it on Sunday. Steven is way
    busy this weekend and I want him to try it. He's got 2 bad cases to deal
    with. If he can't get home, I'll take it to him. In the meantime, Gawd
    only knows what will come outta the kitchen ;)

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

    Tags:

  2. Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > The temps have finally dropped. I beez a happy camper. I can actually
    > breathe. I'm going to fire up the Jeep and find me a decent grater at
    > Target to make my Spaetzle (sp). I'll make it on Sunday. Steven is way
    > busy this weekend and I want him to try it. He's got 2 bad cases to deal
    > with. If he can't get home, I'll take it to him. In the meantime, Gawd
    > only knows what will come outta the kitchen ;)
    >
    > Michael

    It's c-c-c-c-old here, too. Snow and ice, with a temperature of 27 and
    expected to be down to 14 tonight and more snow on the way. It was 67
    degrees on Thursday. Dang, what a change.

  3. "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The temps have finally dropped. I beez a happy camper. I can actually
    > breathe. I'm going to fire up the Jeep and find me a decent grater at
    > Target to make my Spaetzle (sp). I'll make it on Sunday. Steven is way
    > busy this weekend and I want him to try it. He's got 2 bad cases to deal
    > with. If he can't get home, I'll take it to him. In the meantime, Gawd
    > only knows what will come outta the kitchen ;)
    >
    > Michael

    Here in the 'Banana Belt' of the Intermountain West it is currently 12F. It
    seems like the furnace is running constantly. I'm thinking lentil soup
    today. Or maybe split pea, we haven't had that in awhile. I really should
    do hash with the leftover beef pot roast but I'm not in the mood for that.
    Janet

  4. "itsjoannotjoann" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > It's c-c-c-c-old here, too. Snow and ice, with a temperature of
    > 27 and expected to be down to 14 tonight and more snow on the way.
    > It was 67 degrees on Thursday. Dang, what a change.

    Currently -21C (I believe that converts to -5F) with wind chill making
    it -27C. Yesterday the car was covered with a thick sheet of ice from
    the previous night's freezing rain and it took over an hour of running
    the heater on the car to get the ice to thaw sufficiently to be able to
    break it.

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  5. On Sat 18 Feb 2006 08:17:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michel
    Boucher?

    > "itsjoannotjoann" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> It's c-c-c-c-old here, too. Snow and ice, with a temperature of
    >> 27 and expected to be down to 14 tonight and more snow on the way.
    >> It was 67 degrees on Thursday. Dang, what a change.

    > Currently -21C (I believe that converts to -5F) with wind chill making
    > it -27C. Yesterday the car was covered with a thick sheet of ice from
    > the previous night's freezing rain and it took over an hour of running
    > the heater on the car to get the ice to thaw sufficiently to be able to
    > break it.

    It's cold here too, 39° F. I might have to put on a jacket when I go out.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  6. Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > It's cold here too, 39° F. I might have to put on a jacket when I
    > go out.

    Typically, Canadians go out without a jacket in that kind of warm
    weather.

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  7. On Sat 18 Feb 2006 09:10:47a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michel
    Boucher?

    > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> It's cold here too, 39° F. I might have to put on a jacket when I go
    >> out.

    > Typically, Canadians go out without a jacket in that kind of warm
    > weather.

    I did, too, when I lived in NE Ohio. When you get used to a temperature
    range of 70-115° F, 39° feels like zero!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  8. pamjd

    pamjd Guest

    10L45 AM and the sun is hining and it is -7! Going to get coler,
    really colder tonight.
    Ya gotta love Wisconsin or you would move!

  9. "pamjd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > 10L45 AM and the sun is hining and it is -7! Going to get coler,
    > really colder tonight.
    > Ya gotta love Wisconsin or you would move!

    I grew up there and would go back in a minute if I could :{
    Janet

  10. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat 18 Feb 2006 09:10:47a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michel
    > Boucher?
    >
    >> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> It's cold here too, 39° F. I might have to put on a jacket when I go
    >>> out.

    >> Typically, Canadians go out without a jacket in that kind of warm
    >> weather.
    >>

    > I did, too, when I lived in NE Ohio. When you get used to a temperature
    > range of 70-115° F, 39° feels like zero!
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    And for some reason, I know not what, when you return to a colder climate
    again (in the east or northeast), it will take 1-2 years to acclimate (sp?)
    your body to not feeling that way. As well as being susceptible to all
    kinds of colds and flues. IME.
    Dee Dee

  11. Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sat 18 Feb 2006 09:10:47a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > Michel Boucher?
    >
    >> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> It's cold here too, 39° F. I might have to put on a jacket when
    >>> I go out.

    >> Typically, Canadians go out without a jacket in that kind of warm
    >> weather.
    >>

    > I did, too, when I lived in NE Ohio. When you get used to a
    > temperature range of 70-115° F, 39° feels like zero!

    In Celsius, it's only 3,8 degrees. Still, compared to the weather of
    the last two days, we'd consider that mild and wear a light jacket if
    there was a breeze.

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  12. Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> hitched up their panties
    and posted news:[email protected]:

    > On Sat 18 Feb 2006 08:17:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michel
    > Boucher?
    >
    >> "itsjoannotjoann" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> It's c-c-c-c-old here, too. Snow and ice, with a temperature of
    >>> 27 and expected to be down to 14 tonight and more snow on the way.
    >>> It was 67 degrees on Thursday. Dang, what a change.

    >> Currently -21C (I believe that converts to -5F) with wind chill
    >> making it -27C. Yesterday the car was covered with a thick sheet of
    >> ice from the previous night's freezing rain and it took over an hour
    >> of running the heater on the car to get the ice to thaw sufficiently
    >> to be able to break it.

    > It's cold here too, 39° F. I might have to put on a jacket when I go
    > out.

    39 is nothing. I want some bona fide winter weather. I'll never be able to
    breathe unless it gets cold. I think it's in the mid 30s now. At work on
    Friday it went from 65 to 30 in a matter of a couple of hours. I mean it
    changed rapidly. I'm praying my chant to the weather Gods "Please just
    give me a week of frigid weather"... ;)

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  13. "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> The temps have finally dropped. I beez a happy camper. I can actually
    >> breathe. I'm going to fire up the Jeep and find me a decent grater
    >> at Target to make my Spaetzle (sp). I'll make it on Sunday. Steven
    >> is way busy this weekend and I want him to try it. He's got 2 bad
    >> cases to deal with. If he can't get home, I'll take it to him. In
    >> the meantime, Gawd only knows what will come outta the kitchen ;)
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Here in the 'Banana Belt' of the Intermountain West it is currently
    > 12F. It seems like the furnace is running constantly. I'm thinking
    > lentil soup today. Or maybe split pea, we haven't had that in awhile.
    > I really should do hash with the leftover beef pot roast but I'm not
    > in the mood for that. Janet

    I'm doing Spaetzle (sp). I'm not in the mood for pot roast. Done had it
    too many times already.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  14. "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > "pamjd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> 10L45 AM and the sun is hining and it is -7! Going to get coler,
    >> really colder tonight.
    >> Ya gotta love Wisconsin or you would move!
    >>

    > I grew up there and would go back in a minute if I could :{
    > Janet

    Never lived there but loved visiting my aunt and uncle. I'd move there in a
    second ;)

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  15. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > posted news:[email protected]:
    >

    >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> The temps have finally dropped. I beez a happy camper. I can actually
    >>> breathe. I'm going to fire up the Jeep and find me a decent grater
    >>> at Target to make my Spaetzle (sp). I'll make it on Sunday. Steven
    >>> is way busy this weekend and I want him to try it. He's got 2 bad
    >>> cases to deal with. If he can't get home, I'll take it to him. In
    >>> the meantime, Gawd only knows what will come outta the kitchen ;)
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >> Here in the 'Banana Belt' of the Intermountain West it is currently
    >> 12F. It seems like the furnace is running constantly. I'm thinking
    >> lentil soup today. Or maybe split pea, we haven't had that in awhile.
    >> I really should do hash with the leftover beef pot roast but I'm not
    >> in the mood for that. Janet

    > I'm doing Spaetzle (sp). I'm not in the mood for pot roast. Done had it
    > too many times already.
    >
    > Michael

    Today it's 32ºF with a forecast of high 35 & snow. DH has decided the
    furnace is making too much racket. (I've told him since November it's making
    too much racket) and has decided to shut down. Now we are without a furnace
    on the main living floor. He ran to the hardware to get some 'nuts and
    bolts' none of which fits. He said, "You may have to go to the other floor
    to stay warm." Good show!
    Piss-ed-ly,
    Dee Dee

    OB: However, on second thought, I'm making bread today. Yesterday I started
    the poolish and left it in the refrigerator overnight. Today I have added
    the poolish to the flour and it is now sitting for 3 hours. Then it will
    pour it out and let it sit for another 1 hr. Then it will be cut and
    formed and put onto 3 baking pans in the refr overnight. I'm thinking
    (wildly) where in the heck am I gonna find room in these two stacked- to-
    the- gills refrigerators to put in 3 baking pans for an overnight rise --
    perhaps my cold main floor (will it get to 40º? - no!) will be the answer.
    This is the "Sweet Rustic Bread" Recipe from Crust and Crumb.
    This morning I was going to only do 1/2 of the recipe, but then I went ahead
    and did it all -- now I am wondering just what to do with those 3 pans.
    Any help, Janet?
    Dee Dee

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > On Sat 18 Feb 2006 09:10:47a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > > Michel Boucher?
    > >
    > >> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    > >> news:[email protected]:

    > >> Typically, Canadians go out without a jacket in that kind of warm
    > >> weather.
    > >>

    > > I did, too, when I lived in NE Ohio. When you get used to a
    > > temperature range of 70-115° F, 39° feels like zero!

    > In Celsius, it's only 3,8 degrees. Still, compared to the weather of
    > the last two days, we'd consider that mild and wear a light jacket if
    > there was a breeze.

    I remember -20 degree weather when we used to live above 8,000 ft. up
    above Denver Colorado. Shoveled LOTS of snow in those temps! I'd work up
    such a sweat, I'd be out there shoveling in jeans and a t-shirt! Still
    wore a hat, scarf and gloves tho, just had to take my coat off.

    No wind, no humidity so it did not feel that cold anyway.

    Gods I hated what snowplows do to the front of the driveway. :-( You'd
    just get it cleared and they'd make a new ice berm right in front of it.

    That cra* was heavy to move too...

    I don't miss it.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 39 is nothing. I want some bona fide winter weather. I'll never be able to
    > breathe unless it gets cold. I think it's in the mid 30s now. At work on
    > Friday it went from 65 to 30 in a matter of a couple of hours. I mean it
    > changed rapidly. I'm praying my chant to the weather Gods "Please just
    > give me a week of frigid weather"... ;)
    >
    > Michael

    Glad to see I'm not the only one that has trouble breathing when it's
    hot. :) That's why my power bills are a bit high during the summer. I
    run the AC set no higher than 72!

    It's a fight with my dad sometimes about running too much heat in the
    house in the winter. He likes to run around in minimal clothing, then
    run the damn heat! :p

    It also costs a LOT more to run the furnace than the AC.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  18. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    > OB: However, on second thought, I'm making bread today. Yesterday I
    > started the poolish and left it in the refrigerator overnight. Today I
    > have added the poolish to the flour and it is now sitting for 3 hours.
    > Then it will pour it out and let it sit for another 1 hr. Then it will
    > be cut and formed and put onto 3 baking pans in the refr overnight. I'm
    > thinking (wildly) where in the heck am I gonna find room in these two
    > stacked- to- the- gills refrigerators to put in 3 baking pans for an
    > overnight rise -- perhaps my cold main floor (will it get to 40º? - no!)
    > will be the answer. This is the "Sweet Rustic Bread" Recipe from Crust and
    > Crumb.
    > This morning I was going to only do 1/2 of the recipe, but then I went
    > ahead and did it all -- now I am wondering just what to do with those 3
    > pans.

    Answering my own question after putting some thought to it over early
    dinner -- pork loin, steamed broccoli & cauliflower & left-over
    potato-celery-cheese soup (and a small glass of wine).
    I will put these 3 baking pans into the "cool-warm" bags you buy at Walmart,
    with a couple of ice blocks in them. Too bad I only have two of the bags,
    so I will put the other in a ice-cooler with ice blocks in it.
    Whoo! Whoo!
    Sooo happy,
    Dee Dee

  19. L, not -L

    L, not -L Guest

    On 18-Feb-2006, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 39 is nothing. I want some bona fide winter weather. I'll never be able
    > breathe unless it gets cold. I think it's in the mid 30s now.

    Maybe I should move to your side of town; in Kirkwood by St. Joseph the
    current temp is 16F (actual temp, NOT windchill) and that's the highest I've
    seen today.

    --
    To email, replace Cujo with Juno

  20. T

    T Guest

    says...
    > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> hitched up their panties
    > and posted news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > On Sat 18 Feb 2006 08:17:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michel
    > > Boucher?
    > >
    > >> "itsjoannotjoann" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >> news:[email protected]:

    > >> Currently -21C (I believe that converts to -5F) with wind chill
    > >> making it -27C. Yesterday the car was covered with a thick sheet of
    > >> ice from the previous night's freezing rain and it took over an hour
    > >> of running the heater on the car to get the ice to thaw sufficiently
    > >> to be able to break it.

    > > It's cold here too, 39° F. I might have to put on a jacket when I go
    > > out.
    > >

    > 39 is nothing. I want some bona fide winter weather. I'll never be able to
    > breathe unless it gets cold. I think it's in the mid 30s now. At work on
    > Friday it went from 65 to 30 in a matter of a couple of hours. I mean it
    > changed rapidly. I'm praying my chant to the weather Gods "Please just
    > give me a week of frigid weather"... ;)

    Dropped from mid 50's yesterday down into the 30's. Today the high was
    31F and now it's 24F. Pretty gusty winds too. Froze my butt off.

    While I don't really hate cold weather - I just hate the attendant snow
    and inevitable ice because sidewalk treatment eschews salt or other melt
    accelerators, or people openly flaunt city ordinance and don't clear
    their walkways.

    But last weekend we got a foot of snow. This weekend there is hardly a
    trace of that snow, just little dirty piles where plows piled it in
    certain places.

    It has been a seriously weird winter. But my preference is for some
    place where it's in the mid 80's during the day, and the low 60's to mid
    50's at night.

    That would be perfect. I'm told what I'm describing is Hawaii but there
    has to be someplace else that's suitable.