Damned Kommie Kops

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by NYC XYZ, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/international/asia/08china.html

    EXCERPT

    In October, The Taizhou Evening News published a report that criticized
    high license fees the traffic police imposed on electric bicycles,
    which are popular in the area. The report suggested that the fees
    violated local regulations.

    The next day, a large group of traffic policemen stormed the offices of
    The Taizhou Evening News and beat Mr. Wu in plain sight, colleagues
    said at the time.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Gee

    Andy Gee Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1139522325.660646.234250
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/international/asia/08china.html
    >

    > EXCERPT
    >
    > In October, The Taizhou Evening News published a report that criticized
    > high license fees the traffic police imposed on electric bicycles,
    > which are popular in the area. The report suggested that the fees
    > violated local regulations.
    >
    > The next day, a large group of traffic policemen stormed the offices of
    > The Taizhou Evening News and beat Mr. Wu in plain sight, colleagues
    > said at the time.

    Notwithstanding how I feel about people who use Segways in the bike lane
    (love them politically, hate them for hogging the whole lane at 12 MPH) how
    do people feel about sharing resources with motorized bikes? In New York,
    a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
    be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
    possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

    The next poster downthread said that the guy died. Shouldn't we be
    boycotting Chinese bikes, accessories, frames, and parts?

    --ag

  3. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Andy Gee <[email protected]> writes:

    > Notwithstanding how I feel about people who use Segways in the bike lane
    > (love them politically, hate them for hogging the whole lane at 12 MPH) how
    > do people feel about sharing resources with motorized bikes? In New York,
    > a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
    > be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
    > possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

    In Vancouver BC unlicensed electric bicycles are permitted on
    public streets as long they they fall within certain power and
    speed limitations. It's fairly recent legislation.

    > The next poster downthread said that the guy died. Shouldn't we be
    > boycotting Chinese bikes, accessories, frames, and parts?

    Boycotting Chinese cops, anyways. I have some problems with the
    idea of boycotting made-in-China stuff. For one thing, Chinese
    workers gotta earn a living somehow. And how does one know whether
    something has some Chinese-made parts or ingredients, or was manufactured
    with Chinese-made machinery, or if a supplier sends used electronic
    components to China for their primitive, noxious version of "recycling"?

    Maybe Chinese trade is just too inextricably intertwined with
    the World Market for boycotts to be of any positive effect.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  4. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    oilfreeandhappy wrote:
    > Wow! You didn't mention that Mr. Wu died. Unbelievable. Free speech
    > is one of many beautiful things about America.
    > Jim
    > http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

    Isn't that sad? The guy was just complaining about arbitrary fees on
    electric bikes, and they don't even do a covert operation on him, they
    march right into his office and kill him in front of all those
    witnesses!

  5. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Andy Gee wrote:

    > Notwithstanding how I feel about people who use Segways in the bike lane
    > (love them politically, hate them for hogging the whole lane at 12 MPH) how
    > do people feel about sharing resources with motorized bikes? In New York,
    > a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
    > be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
    > possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

    NEVER happens. Go to Bushwick on any summer day or night and see if
    them kops do anything about ghetto ragamuffins on their scooters and
    toy motorcycles. One day I was in the Allerton section of the Bronx
    and somebody was zipping through the park there in an ATV. Right
    outside, well within earshot, was a patrol car with two ghetto female
    kops sitting in the AC. Their excuse for not doing anything? The
    perps just keep coming right back, assuming they even manage to corral
    them in the first place -- just not worth the time and effort.

    (I now know that kop kulture frowns on non-major crimes arrests or mere
    quality-of-life summonses: they like their paperwork glorious.)

    > The next poster downthread said that the guy died. Shouldn't we be
    > boycotting Chinese bikes, accessories, frames, and parts?

    How does one do that, exactly? The only way for a boycott to work, it
    seems, is to get the whole supply chain involved. Do we all just write
    letters to all the bike mags, shops, manufacturers, and distributors?
    I'm not being facetious, I'm serious. How does one protest
    meaningfully and effectively against this outrage?

    > --ag

  6. andy gee

    andy gee Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Andy Gee wrote:
    >>

    >> Notwithstanding how I feel about people who use Segways in the bike
    >> lane (love them politically, hate them for hogging the whole lane at
    >> 12 MPH) how do people feel about sharing resources with motorized
    >> bikes? In New York, a vehicle with any sort of motor must be
    >> registered as a motor vehicle to be ridden on a road, and if not, the
    >> rider is subject to a fine (and possible wood shampoo) and the bike
    >> subject to confiscation.

    > NEVER happens. Go to Bushwick on any summer day or night and see if
    > them kops do anything about ghetto ragamuffins on their scooters and
    > toy motorcycles. One day I was in the Allerton section of the Bronx
    > and somebody was zipping through the park there in an ATV. Right
    > outside, well within earshot, was a patrol car with two ghetto female
    > kops sitting in the AC. Their excuse for not doing anything? The
    > perps just keep coming right back, assuming they even manage to corral
    > them in the first place -- just not worth the time and effort.
    >
    > (I now know that kop kulture frowns on non-major crimes arrests or
    > mere quality-of-life summonses: they like their paperwork glorious.)
    >
    >> The next poster downthread said that the guy died. Shouldn't we be
    >> boycotting Chinese bikes, accessories, frames, and parts?

    > How does one do that, exactly? The only way for a boycott to work, it
    > seems, is to get the whole supply chain involved. Do we all just
    > write letters to all the bike mags, shops, manufacturers, and
    > distributors? I'm not being facetious, I'm serious. How does one
    > protest meaningfully and effectively against this outrage?

    I'm going to guess that the best way is to persuade the UCI to
    "accredit" or certify manufacturers and establish minimum standards for
    working conditions, salaries, environmental contraols, etc. Then the
    slave labor and prison labor bikes would not be UCI acceptable in
    competition, so mainstream bike shops won't carry the brands, the same
    way they don't carry recumbents. Even if that doesn't work, at least
    the non-Chinese bikes could carry big stickers saying UCI certified.

    The next step would be participating in the action taking place to force
    xmart to pay their people enough to keep them off Medicaid and food
    stamps. They're the big source of the cheapest of the cheap, worst of
    the worst bikes. A European or American bike stands no chance at all
    against a $129 xmart special. But an $800 European or American bike
    might have a chance against a $279 piece of crap.

    I broke my personal boycott a few weeks ago, as an experiment. I bought
    two Chinese accessories -- a lock and a light. In two weeks, the
    mounting brackets for both of them broke, I've never had a mounting
    bracket break before except once, a few years ago, a different Chinese
    light, and that was one of the items that led me to a personal boycott.

    --ag

  7. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 02:49:21 GMT, Andy Gee
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [---]

    >In New York,
    >a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
    >be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
    >possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

    I know this may appear to be a silly question, but I've never set foot
    in the U.S. - what is "wood shampoo"?

  8. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Andrew Price <[email protected]> writes:
    > On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 02:49:21 GMT, Andy Gee
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > [---]
    >
    >>In New York,
    >>a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
    >>be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
    >>possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

    > I know this may appear to be a silly question, but I've never set foot
    > in the U.S. - what is "wood shampoo"?

    The Simpsons episode where Bart gets to be a ride-along
    in a police car probably explains it best:

    Bart: Wow! Can I see your club?
    Cop: It's called a baton, son.
    Bart: Oh. What's it for?
    Cop: We club people with it.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  9. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>In New York,
    >>a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
    >>be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
    >>possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

    > I know this may appear to be a silly question, but I've never set foot
    > in the U.S. - what is "wood shampoo"?

    I wasn't sure either, but I assumed he meant getting whacked in the head
    with a truncheon by the local plod.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    -- Dr. Who