Damned Kommie Kops

NYC XYZ

Guest
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/international/asia/08china.html

EXCERPT

In October, The Taizhou Evening News published a report that criticized
high license fees the traffic police imposed on electric bicycles,
which are popular in the area. The report suggested that the fees
violated local regulations.

The next day, a large group of traffic policemen stormed the offices of
The Taizhou Evening News and beat Mr. Wu in plain sight, colleagues
said at the time.

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1139522325.660646.234250
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/international/asia/08china.html
>

> EXCERPT
>
> In October, The Taizhou Evening News published a report that criticized
> high license fees the traffic police imposed on electric bicycles,
> which are popular in the area. The report suggested that the fees
> violated local regulations.
>
> The next day, a large group of traffic policemen stormed the offices of
> The Taizhou Evening News and beat Mr. Wu in plain sight, colleagues
> said at the time.

Notwithstanding how I feel about people who use Segways in the bike lane
(love them politically, hate them for hogging the whole lane at 12 MPH) how
do people feel about sharing resources with motorized bikes? In New York,
a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

The next poster downthread said that the guy died. Shouldn't we be
boycotting Chinese bikes, accessories, frames, and parts?

--ag

In article <[email protected]>,
Andy Gee <[email protected]> writes:

> Notwithstanding how I feel about people who use Segways in the bike lane
> (love them politically, hate them for hogging the whole lane at 12 MPH) how
> do people feel about sharing resources with motorized bikes? In New York,
> a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
> be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
> possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

In Vancouver BC unlicensed electric bicycles are permitted on
public streets as long they they fall within certain power and
speed limitations. It's fairly recent legislation.

> The next poster downthread said that the guy died. Shouldn't we be
> boycotting Chinese bikes, accessories, frames, and parts?

Boycotting Chinese cops, anyways. I have some problems with the
idea of boycotting made-in-China stuff. For one thing, Chinese
workers gotta earn a living somehow. And how does one know whether
something has some Chinese-made parts or ingredients, or was manufactured
with Chinese-made machinery, or if a supplier sends used electronic
components to China for their primitive, noxious version of "recycling"?

Maybe Chinese trade is just too inextricably intertwined with
the World Market for boycotts to be of any positive effect.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

oilfreeandhappy wrote:
> Wow! You didn't mention that Mr. Wu died. Unbelievable. Free speech
> is one of many beautiful things about America.
> Jim
> http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Isn't that sad? The guy was just complaining about arbitrary fees on
electric bikes, and they don't even do a covert operation on him, they
march right into his office and kill him in front of all those
witnesses!

Andy Gee wrote:

> Notwithstanding how I feel about people who use Segways in the bike lane
> (love them politically, hate them for hogging the whole lane at 12 MPH) how
> do people feel about sharing resources with motorized bikes? In New York,
> a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
> be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
> possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

NEVER happens. Go to Bushwick on any summer day or night and see if
them kops do anything about ghetto ragamuffins on their scooters and
toy motorcycles. One day I was in the Allerton section of the Bronx
and somebody was zipping through the park there in an ATV. Right
outside, well within earshot, was a patrol car with two ghetto female
kops sitting in the AC. Their excuse for not doing anything? The
perps just keep coming right back, assuming they even manage to corral
them in the first place -- just not worth the time and effort.

(I now know that kop kulture frowns on non-major crimes arrests or mere
quality-of-life summonses: they like their paperwork glorious.)

> The next poster downthread said that the guy died. Shouldn't we be
> boycotting Chinese bikes, accessories, frames, and parts?

How does one do that, exactly? The only way for a boycott to work, it
seems, is to get the whole supply chain involved. Do we all just write
letters to all the bike mags, shops, manufacturers, and distributors?
I'm not being facetious, I'm serious. How does one protest
meaningfully and effectively against this outrage?

> --ag

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Andy Gee wrote:
>>

>> Notwithstanding how I feel about people who use Segways in the bike
>> lane (love them politically, hate them for hogging the whole lane at
>> 12 MPH) how do people feel about sharing resources with motorized
>> bikes? In New York, a vehicle with any sort of motor must be
>> registered as a motor vehicle to be ridden on a road, and if not, the
>> rider is subject to a fine (and possible wood shampoo) and the bike
>> subject to confiscation.

> NEVER happens. Go to Bushwick on any summer day or night and see if
> them kops do anything about ghetto ragamuffins on their scooters and
> toy motorcycles. One day I was in the Allerton section of the Bronx
> and somebody was zipping through the park there in an ATV. Right
> outside, well within earshot, was a patrol car with two ghetto female
> kops sitting in the AC. Their excuse for not doing anything? The
> perps just keep coming right back, assuming they even manage to corral
> them in the first place -- just not worth the time and effort.
>
> (I now know that kop kulture frowns on non-major crimes arrests or
> mere quality-of-life summonses: they like their paperwork glorious.)
>
>> The next poster downthread said that the guy died. Shouldn't we be
>> boycotting Chinese bikes, accessories, frames, and parts?

> How does one do that, exactly? The only way for a boycott to work, it
> seems, is to get the whole supply chain involved. Do we all just
> write letters to all the bike mags, shops, manufacturers, and
> distributors? I'm not being facetious, I'm serious. How does one
> protest meaningfully and effectively against this outrage?

I'm going to guess that the best way is to persuade the UCI to
"accredit" or certify manufacturers and establish minimum standards for
working conditions, salaries, environmental contraols, etc. Then the
slave labor and prison labor bikes would not be UCI acceptable in
competition, so mainstream bike shops won't carry the brands, the same
way they don't carry recumbents. Even if that doesn't work, at least
the non-Chinese bikes could carry big stickers saying UCI certified.

The next step would be participating in the action taking place to force
xmart to pay their people enough to keep them off Medicaid and food
stamps. They're the big source of the cheapest of the cheap, worst of
the worst bikes. A European or American bike stands no chance at all
against a $129 xmart special. But an $800 European or American bike
might have a chance against a $279 piece of ****.

I broke my personal boycott a few weeks ago, as an experiment. I bought
two Chinese accessories -- a lock and a light. In two weeks, the
mounting brackets for both of them broke, I've never had a mounting
bracket break before except once, a few years ago, a different Chinese
light, and that was one of the items that led me to a personal boycott.

--ag

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 02:49:21 GMT, Andy Gee
<[email protected]> wrote:

[---]

>In New York,
>a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
>be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
>possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

I know this may appear to be a silly question, but I've never set foot
in the U.S. - what is "wood shampoo"?

In article <[email protected]>,
Andrew Price <[email protected]> writes:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 02:49:21 GMT, Andy Gee
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [---]
>
>>In New York,
>>a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
>>be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
>>possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

> I know this may appear to be a silly question, but I've never set foot
> in the U.S. - what is "wood shampoo"?

The Simpsons episode where Bart gets to be a ride-along
in a police car probably explains it best:

Bart: Wow! Can I see your club?
Cop: It's called a baton, son.
Bart: Oh. What's it for?
Cop: We club people with it.

cheers,
Tom

--

Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In New York,
>>a vehicle with any sort of motor must be registered as a motor vehicle to
>>be ridden on a road, and if not, the rider is subject to a fine (and
>>possible wood shampoo) and the bike subject to confiscation.

> I know this may appear to be a silly question, but I've never set foot
> in the U.S. - what is "wood shampoo"?

I wasn't sure either, but I assumed he meant getting whacked in the head
with a truncheon by the local plod.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
-- Dr. Who