Damned loose crank arm.....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Well, the sucker stayed stuck on, but the crank arm has moved a little too far in, meaning in the
    granny ring, the chain rubs on the super skinny (2.6) Nokian tyre - looks like a good shimming
    session is in short order shortly.

    My Cranks are gold anodised, BTW.

    Shaun aRe - Hooray for beer cans.

  2. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Lone Wolf what crankset you getting for that hundred?

    Fire up MTB 03

  3. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong. Never had a loose crankset yet.

    Fire up MTB 03

  4. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Well you trashed the crank or the BB. Stop while your ahead.

    Fire up MTB 03

  5. Lone Wolf

    Lone Wolf Guest

  6. Lone Wolf

    Lone Wolf Guest

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well you trashed the crank or the BB. Stop while your ahead.

    I know exactly what has happened - the taper inside the crank arm has rounded a little, when I
    re-tightened it, the taper of the crank moved further up the taper of the BB spindle. Removing the
    crank, cleaning any unevenness from the crank taper, inserting thin alu shims made for beer can,
    re-fitting and tightening up well will solve the problem, and get the chain line back where I want
    it. The BB spindle will be un-touched.

    Shaun aRe - done it before and those cranks are still going strong.

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well you trashed the crank or the BB. Stop while your ahead.
    >
    > I know exactly what has happened - the taper inside the crank arm has rounded a little, when I
    > re-tightened it, the taper of the crank moved further up the taper of the BB spindle. Removing the
    > crank, cleaning any unevenness from the crank taper, inserting thin alu shims made for beer
    can,
    > re-fitting and tightening up well will solve the problem, and get the
    chain
    > line back where I want it. The BB spindle will be un-touched.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - done it before and those cranks are still going strong.

    The only problem I see with that is having to drink a beer out of a can...yeeeech!

    Mike

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > The only problem I see with that is having to drink a beer out of a can...yeeeech!

    'Ceptin' some of our canned beer is better than most of your draught beer ',;~P```````

    Besides, I 'can' pour it into a glass first ',;~}

    Shaun aRe - Me smart like monkey!