Dandenong-Melb Route

wyntery

Oct 27, 2004
I'll be moving from Mt Waverley to Dandenong soon, but would like to continue riding to work in St Kilda Road. I currently ride the Main Yarra/Gardiners Creek/Scotchmans Creek path to Anderson Street in South Yarra and then down Domain Road onto St Kilda Road.
I had thought about taking Dandenong Road (Princes Highway) to Oakleigh and then get onto the path from there, but how safe is riding on Dandenong Road? Can anyone suggest a safe, direct route?

Well I must admit I have ridden down Dandenong Road to Dandenong from South Melbourne a few times and back and have found the ride not too bad actually and I would imagine if you are riding during peak hour times you will be cruising past a lot of cars as you get in closer to the city. The only pain about that road is the number of traffic lights, very frustrating, apart from that, the road is alright, there are a number of sections where cars can be going past pretty fast but a lot of those sections have service roads you could use.

an alternative might be to maybe head down Stud Road from Dandenong, then eventually head into the city, probably quite a few extra kilometres though, but Stud Road is pretty good now they have widened it all the way.

just some thoughts.

Well I have ridden down Dandenong Road to Dandenong from South Melbourne a few times and back and have found the ride not too bad actually and I would imagine if you are riding during peak hour times you will be cruising past a lot of cars as you get in closer to the city. The only pain about that road is the number of traffic lights, very frustrating, apart from that, the road is alright, there are a number of sections where cars can be going past pretty fast but a lot of those sections have service roads you could use.

an alternative might be to maybe head down Stud Road from Dandenong, then eventually head into the city, probably quite a few extra kilometres though, but Stud Road is pretty good now they have widened it all the way.

just some thoughts.

wyntery said:
I'll be moving from Mt Waverley to Dandenong soon, but would like to continue riding to work in St Kilda Road. I currently ride the Main Yarra/Gardiners Creek/Scotchmans Creek path to Anderson Street in South Yarra and then down Domain Road onto St Kilda Road.
I had thought about taking Dandenong Road (Princes Highway) to Oakleigh and then get onto the path from there, but how safe is riding on Dandenong Road? Can anyone suggest a safe, direct route?
Well I have ridden down Dandenong Road to Dandenong from South Melbourne a few times and back and have found the ride not too bad actually and I would imagine if you are riding during peak hour times you will be cruising past a lot of cars as you get in closer to the city. The only pain about that road is the number of traffic lights, very frustrating, apart from that, the road is alright, there are a number of sections where cars can be going past pretty fast but a lot of those sections have service roads you could use.

just some thoughts.