Dang Good Chili (for a New Yawka)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by nanner, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. nanner

    nanner Guest

    I made this tonight and it was just mmm-mmm-good!! Got a chuck roast on sale
    and used the can of Black Soy Beans I had laying around (I know, I know -
    beans in chili, egads!! It was goooooood stuff though!!)

    Here's a re-post of the recipe, I posted it about a year ago :eek:)
    -------------
    here's the recipe as I found it with some added notes of my own. It is
    very good with cheddar grated on it!
    '
    Basic Texas Chili

    2lbs beef, round or chuck - cut into 1/2" cubes, all white removed ( i use
    chuck roast and leave some fat)
    1 sm onion, chopped fine
    1-2 cloves minced garlic
    salt & pepper to taste
    2-3 tblspn blended chili powder
    1 tblspn ground cumin
    1 small can tomato sauce (i have done this or skipped it, either way is
    good- i
    used an 8oz can of Goya tomato sauce)

    In a heavy skillet, saute the meat in small amount of oil or shortening
    until it is grey and gives up it's juices.
    Transfer the meat to stew pot and discard juices.
    While meat is sill hot mix in the onion & garlic, salt & pepper to taste.
    Let it sit for 30 minutes. (It will be smelling great in your kitchen about
    now)
    Add enough water to cover the meat then add the spices and bring to a simmer
    (try to avoid boiling it - it dries the meat) Cook until meat is tender (i
    give it an hour)You may have to add water if the mix becomes too dry (i
    haven't had that problem)

    If you add the tomato sauce - add it now and simmer another 20 min

    If the chili isn't spicy enough add some cayenne (I do that - yum)

    Also - I add extra chili powder, some garlic powder and a bit of red wine
    vinegar. I am considering trying this with black soy beans whcich are
    supposed to be very low carb.

    Tags:

  2. Glassman

    Glassman Guest

  3. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    In some parts of upstate New York they're veritable hayseeds.

    Glassman wrote:
    > No real NY'er would ever say DANG!
    >
    > --
    > "Don't get me wrong... I'm SNARKY"
    > JK Sinrod
    > Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    > www.sinrodstudios.com
    > Coney Island Memories
    > www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

  4. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "Glassman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > No real NY'er would ever say DANG!

    sure we would - we are the masters of sarcasm. I was born and raised here.

    Oh yeah - I bet upstate NY'ers would say Dang too. I got some near-hillbilly
    cousins upstate LOL

    > --
    > "Don't get me wrong... I'm SNARKY"
    > JK Sinrod
    > Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    > www.sinrodstudios.com
    > Coney Island Memories
    > www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

  5. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    nanner wrote:
    > "Glassman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>No real NY'er would ever say DANG!

    > sure we would - we are the masters of sarcasm. I was born and raised here.

    Me, too, and I say "dang" and "dagnabit" with regularity.

    > Oh yeah - I bet upstate NY'ers would say Dang too. I got some near-hillbilly
    > cousins upstate LOL

    Well, yeah, upstate is another thang altogether. They say "yonder" I hear.

    Susan

  6. John V

    John V Guest

    You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are you
    talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!

    Dang, i can't wait to find out.

    JV

    > Well, yeah, upstate is another thang altogether. They say "yonder" I
    > hear.
    >
    > Susan

  7. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    John V wrote:
    > You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are you
    > talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!
    >
    > Dang, i can't wait to find out.

    LOL! Nah, folks in Westchester, Orange and Rockland still tawk like
    nawmuhl peeps.

    Susan

  8. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "John V" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are
    > you talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!
    >
    > Dang, i can't wait to find out.
    >
    > JV

    I have family in NY north of PA. That's kind of Upstate and to the Left. lol

    Where do Upstate NYers sthink the city starts?

  9. John V

    John V Guest

    I live in Rochester and think of NYC as anything south of Tarrytown .....

    North of PA --- that is definitely upstate! (though downstate from me)

    "nanner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "John V" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are
    >> you talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!
    >>
    >> Dang, i can't wait to find out.
    >>
    >> JV
    >>

    > I have family in NY north of PA. That's kind of Upstate and to the Left.
    > lol
    >
    > Where do Upstate NYers sthink the city starts?

  10. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    John V wrote:
    > I live in Rochester and think of NYC as anything south of Tarrytown .....

    That makes sense, in a metro area sort of way.

    Susan

  11. Opinicus

    Opinicus Guest

    "John V" <[email protected]> wrote

    > You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are
    > you talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!

    When I was a kid, "upstate" was anything north of 600 Tenth Avenue.

    --
    Bob
    http://www.kanyak.com

  12. John V wrote:

    > You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are you
    > talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!

    The part of NYS that's close enough to NYC that you can
    commute their for work - clearly upstate. The part of NYS
    close enough that it's dominated by NYC - upstate. For
    example when I lived in Buffalo I figured Albany was upstate
    because so many of the state legislators were from the big
    apple. The part of NYS when if you say "New York" they
    never think you mean the city - definitely not upstate. When
    I lived in Buffalo it never occured to my that "New York"
    might means something other than cow towns and small
    factory cities.

    But then I moved out. For some reason when people say
    "California" it never seems like they mean the small town
    with a population of 10K. And then I moved to Seattle and
    some understood. "Washington", what does it mean? There
    is this east coast city and an entire state on the other side.
    Just like the two New Yorks!

    When it comes down to it, there is no such thing as upstate.
    Not any more than there is a "left coast". It's a term used
    by folks who aren't there.

  13. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "Opinicus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "John V" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are
    >> you talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!

    > When I was a kid, "upstate" was anything north of 600 Tenth Avenue.
    >
    > --
    > Bob
    > http://www.kanyak.com

    heehee - and i used to consider Penn Station "uptown"

  14. Glassman

    Glassman Guest

    "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > In some parts of upstate New York they're veritable hayseeds.
    >
    > Glassman wrote:
    > > No real NY'er would ever say DANG!
    > >
    > > --

    I would agree except the poster speeled it "New Yawka"! Anyone dat speaks
    it like dat, ain't from brooklyn or da Bronx. Fahgetaboutit.

    --
    "Don't get me wrong... I'm SNARKY"
    JK Sinrod
    Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    www.sinrodstudios.com
    Coney Island Memories
    www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

  15. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "Glassman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:wV%[email protected]

    > "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> In some parts of upstate New York they're veritable hayseeds.
    >>
    >> Glassman wrote:
    >> > No real NY'er would ever say DANG!
    >> >
    >> > --

    > I would agree except the poster speeled it "New Yawka"! Anyone dat speaks
    > it like dat, ain't from brooklyn or da Bronx. Fahgetaboutit.

    no, i'm not from there but anyone who "speaks it like dat" ain't too slick.

    > --
    > "Don't get me wrong... I'm SNARKY"
    > JK Sinrod
    > Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    > www.sinrodstudios.com
    > Coney Island Memories
    > www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

  16. imascot

    imascot Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > John V wrote:
    > >
    > > You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are you
    > > talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!

    > The part of NYS that's close enough to NYC that you can
    > commute their for work - clearly upstate. The part of NYS
    > close enough that it's dominated by NYC - upstate. For
    > example when I lived in Buffalo I figured Albany was upstate
    > because so many of the state legislators were from the big
    > apple. The part of NYS when if you say "New York" they
    > never think you mean the city - definitely not upstate. When
    > I lived in Buffalo it never occured to my that "New York"
    > might means something other than cow towns and small
    > factory cities.
    >
    > But then I moved out. For some reason when people say
    > "California" it never seems like they mean the small town
    > with a population of 10K. And then I moved to Seattle and
    > some understood. "Washington", what does it mean? There
    > is this east coast city and an entire state on the other side.
    > Just like the two New Yorks!
    >
    > When it comes down to it, there is no such thing as upstate.
    > Not any more than there is a "left coast". It's a term used
    > by folks who aren't there.

    Upstate is all relative. This reminds me of a conversation with my
    brother and his live-in girlfriend, who live in Orange County, NY . His
    girlfriend was born and raised in that general area. My siblings and I
    were born and raised on Long Island. The word upstate came up, and she
    rolled her eyes and said, "We don't live upstate!" (Upstate to her
    means Buffalo or Lake George.) My brother said, "Um, yeah, we do."

    BTW, most people don't realize what a vast state New York is. You can
    drive for 8 hours in a single direction and never leave the state.

    J.

  17. imascot wrote:
    > [email protected] says...
    > > John V wrote:

    > > > You just gotta tell me what you call 'upstate', since I live there! Are you
    > > > talking 'everything north of Manhattan' or some other parameter?!

    > > The part of NYS that's close enough to NYC that you can
    > > commute their for work - clearly upstate. The part of NYS
    > > close enough that it's dominated by NYC - upstate. For
    > > example when I lived in Buffalo I figured Albany was upstate
    > > because so many of the state legislators were from the big
    > > apple. The part of NYS when if you say "New York" they
    > > never think you mean the city - definitely not upstate. When
    > > I lived in Buffalo it never occured to my that "New York"
    > > might means something other than cow towns and small
    > > factory cities.

    > Upstate is all relative. This reminds me of a conversation with my
    > brother and his live-in girlfriend, who live in Orange County, NY . His
    > girlfriend was born and raised in that general area. My siblings and I
    > were born and raised on Long Island. The word upstate came up, and she
    > rolled her eyes and said, "We don't live upstate!" (Upstate to her
    > means Buffalo or Lake George.) My brother said, "Um, yeah, we do."

    Relative indeed.

    > BTW, most people don't realize what a vast state New York is. You can
    > drive for 8 hours in a single direction and never leave the state.

    For that matter you can drive 8 hours and never see much but
    dairy cattle pastures, forests, corn fields, and fields with other
    crops in rotation. Plus the occasional field filled with condos
    with no apparent corellation to a town.

    NYS is down to number three in dairy production. Those WI
    cheeseheads and the happy cows in CA must take up vast
    portions of those states.

  18. Glassman

    Glassman Guest

    "imascot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > John V wrote:
    > > >

    > BTW, most people don't realize what a vast state New York is. You can
    > drive for 8 hours in a single direction and never leave the state.
    >
    > J.

    I've been stuck on the Belt Pkwy for 8 hours without leaving Long Island!