Dang! Outa commission for a couple of weeks.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by underdog, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. underdog

    underdog Guest

    I was out in front of my house on Saturday, just practicing a few hops
    on my 29er. I lost my balance (not unusual for me) and came off to the
    side of the uni, landed on my right foot and the ankle rolled over with
    a sickening "crunch." Hurt like crazy. I laid there for a good 3
    minutes, writhing in pain and saying, "ohsh*t, ohsh*t, ohsh*t" over and
    over again. By the next day it was still hurting and it looked like
    somebody had surgically removed my ankle and implanted a baseball in
    it's place so I decided to go in to the clinic and see if I had broken
    it. The good news is, it's only a sprained ankle. The bad news is
    that the doc said not to do anything that might re-injure it for 2
    weeks. So, I've gotta try to stay off the uni for a couple of weeks and
    be sure this thing heals OK. Man, it's gonna be hard, being as
    hopelessly addicted to this thing as I am. I know that many of you
    have injured yourselves worse and have been out of commission for
    longer times but it still sucks. Lately, I've felt like I'm really
    improving daily and I hate to take even one day off.

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  2. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    I'm right there with you, bro-ski. I sprained my ankle (though I didn't
    replace it with a softball) riding muni this Saturday. I didn't even
    get to finish my first run down the hill... and I was planning two
    runs! Ack. That's what we get for playing hard.

    While I don't ride every single day I do hate having to stay off the
    wheel. I feel like I'm grounded or something. After seeing Tomsey's
    new video I just want to quit work for the day and go to the park...
    but noooooo... stupid ankle.

    When my foot gets better I'm going to take out my frustrations on the
    rails at my local skate parks. That'll get me back in shape, if it
    doesn't re-injure me first :p

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  3. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    (ears covered)

    LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa!

    Say it isn't so. Riders in in their 50's aren't suppose to get hurt.

    Sorry to hear about the injury. I hope it heals quickly.

    --
    Chrashing

    Regards,
    Ken
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    I'm just getting over an ankle sprain myself. The good news is that in
    2 weeks or so the ankle should feel good enough to do basic riding.
    The bad news for maestro8 is that it could be 6 to 8 weeks before the
    ankle will feel good enough to do things that involve jumping and drops
    and rough terrain. Use the time off from the aggressive riding to work
    on some freestyle. I used the down time from muni to work on my one
    foot wheel walking.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  5. babyivan

    babyivan Guest

    I landed square on my knee today...Im going to give it two days to see
    if the swelling goes down before I get it X-rayed.
    I never thought that I would need knee pads, but as soon as I got
    injured, I ran into the house and put a bid on some knee pads on Ebay
    (hopefully it's not too late).:(

    --
    babyivan

    *NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
    babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031

  6. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    Get well!

    I landed badley on my right hand this spring while practising to ride
    my ultimate wheel..
    I fell forward, my right foot that was ment to land on was stuck in the
    wheel, and i took the fall on my right hand, palm down fingers forward,
    i kept my forward momentum and my hand stayed on the spot it landed..
    my hip landed on the wrist/palm of my hand, pushing it
    forward/downwards with lots of force.. making the top of my hand
    allmost touch with the top of my fingers, a pretty wierd angle.
    Went to the hospital, and got it x-rayed, nothing broken, and nothing
    sevearly damaged.. My doctor said i could have broken a fair number of
    things in my hand.. off the uni (ang juggling, and writing) for a few
    weeks..

    And i still can't ride my ultimate wheel. :(

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  7. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > The bad news for maestro8 is that it could be 6 to 8 weeks

    *mouse pointer hovers over "bad rep" button*

    *maestro8 starts crying*

    john_childs wrote:
    > Use the time off from the aggressive riding to work on some freestyle.

    Okay, doc, if you think it'll make me get better, then I'll take your
    medicine.

    *sniffle*

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  8. underdog

    underdog Guest

    lleberg wrote:
    > my right foot that was ment to land on was stuck in the wheel, :(

    I had a similar incident when I was first learning to ride. I came off
    the uni and my right foot somehow got wedged between the crank and the
    spokes. Uni continued forward and I went back. I landed hard on my
    elbow. From your description, you're really lucky you didn't do more
    damage.

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  9. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    I'm 35 and in the last stretch of an 8 month (now thankfully reduced to
    6 month - I was a good girl about my exercises) lay-off from anything
    potentially involving falling off due to almost detatching a tendon.

    Guess how I did this (it had nothing to do with unicycling - I have yet
    to satisfactorily learn to ride - something else that bugs me no end).
    GILD is excluded as he has already been told.

    Jayne

    P S I hope the rest of you heal quickly and well.

    --
    Jayne ZA

    Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body
    starts falling apart. -Caryn Leschen-
    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  10. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    I'm 35 and in the last stretch of an 8 month (now thankfully reduced to
    6 month - I was a good girl about my exercises) lay-off from anything
    potentially involving falling off due to almost detatching a tendon.

    Guess how I did this (it had nothing to do with unicycling - I have yet
    to satisfactorily learn to ride - something else that bugs me no end).
    GILD is excluded as he has already been told.

    Jayne

    P S I hope the rest of you heal quickly and well.

    --
    Jayne ZA

    Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body
    starts falling apart. -Caryn Leschen-
    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  11. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:56:57 -0600, Jayne ZA wrote:

    >almost detatching a tendon.
    >
    >Guess how I did this

    Please remind us: which tendon is it?

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

  12. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > Please remind us: which tendon is it?

    Sorry - assumed you'd all work out it was something to do with the
    legs.

    It is the big one down the outside of my left leg. Initially they
    thought I'd broken one of the bones in my foot but the x-ray a month
    after the injury showed that I'd ripped off the bit of bone that the
    tendon connects to, and that it was re-attaching. Changed recovery
    time from 2 months to 6 months with a possible extra 2 months (which I
    thankfully don't need but must still be careful when falling off
    unicycles) to recover full muscle strength.

    I have x-rays somewhere and a pic of my bruise if anybody in
    interested.

    Jayne

    --

  13. Jayne ZA wrote:

    > Guess how I did this (it had nothing to do with unicycling ).

    certainly while performing some zulu dancing before your computer in
    the hope it will cure it from wrong convergence using double
    calculations for your stats!:eek:

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  14. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  15. What a bummer! I know how much I hate it when I cant unicycle even a
    little bit everyday.

    I have to ask, though, why were you hopping on a 29er? :)

    --
    forrestunifreak

    warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
    it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
    it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
    and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

  16. OLLIE

    OLLIE Guest

    All of you guys (and girls if there are any) are really unlucky and i
    hope you all recover soon, if you already have not, my worst acident
    was when i was learning and all of a sudden i came to a complete stop,
    well the unicycle did and i didn't!!! i front fliped off the uni and
    landed on my back!!! nothing serious tho, just took the wind out of me,
    could of been a lot worst tho, luckly for me it wasn't tho!!:)
    thanks
    ollie

    --
    OLLIE
    OLLIE's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11221

  17. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:56:57 -0600, Jayne ZA wrote:

    >Guess how I did this

    You were climbing a giant apebroodboom to reach to the moon. When you
    were almost there, a branch (merely a twig really) broke off, and you
    overstretched your left leg as a result of the lack of support.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

  18. underdog

    underdog Guest

    forrestunifreak wrote:
    > I have to ask, though, why were you hopping on a 29er? :)

    Just practicing. Hopping's a new skill for me and I like to practice
    it no matter which uni I'm riding.

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > You were climbing a giant apebroodboom to reach to the moon. When you
    > were almost there, a branch (merely a twig really) broke off, and you
    > overstretched your left leg as a result of the lack of support.

    Sounds plausible.

    BTW, Jayne ZA, good to see you back on the forum.

    I'm now 5 days post injury and the ankle still hurts so I'm trying to
    keep off of it and let it heal. Hope all of your injuries are healing
    well.

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  19. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    underdog wrote:
    > BTW, Jayne ZA, good to see you back on the forum.

    Well, I've been scarce due to a pretty crap end to 2004, a pretty
    hectic start to 2005, and due to getting myself a 6 to 8 month layoff
    in the stupidest possible way.

    I nearly detached a tendon by stepping off my porch, standing on a dog
    toy, and going right over on my ankle. I guess the sole of my foot was
    never intended to be parallel to the inside of my thigh. To add insult
    to injury, when I hobbled into the clinic at work the next day the
    physiotherapist and the receptionist were giggling and pointing and
    barely managing to ask "Were you unicycling or belly-dancing this
    time?". Last year I hurt my left foot falling off a unicycle. Had
    just recovered from that when I stood on a bee during a bely dancing
    class and discovered that I'm allergic to bee stings, so I guess they
    have a bit of a point.

    As far as the porch thing goes I still feel like a total twit!
    Millions of people step off porches every day with no injury at all -
    NOT ME! If I'd been drunk I wouldn't feel so bad, actually that is the
    question I got asked most while I was hobbling around in the ankle
    brace. I got a bit sick of seeing people disintegrate into hysterical
    laughter when I said "NO - I was sober - If I'd been drunk I probably
    wouldn't have hurt myself"

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA

    Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body
    starts falling apart. -Caryn Leschen-
    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  20. underdog

    underdog Guest

    Jayne ZA wrote:
    > Millions of people step off porches every day with no injury at all -
    > NOT ME! If I'd been drunk I wouldn't feel so bad,

    OK, this reminds me of a story that's definitely pushing this thread
    into the realm of the JC forum; the worst I ever trashed an ankle was
    stepping off of a porch. I was drunk. It was nearly a 30 inch drop.
    I had just built the porch and hadn't finished the rail yet.:eek: