Dang rim brakes!!!!!!

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Well, went to wheel the BASE outa the flat this morning, for to ride the beast into work, and the
back V brake was catching hard on one section of the rim. I squeezed the lever a few times, and it
righted itself for a few seconds. ?!?!?!?!? I thunk to meself, then I takes a closer look, like.

Well, me closer look revealed the horrible truth! Yes, the bloody rim's badly worn braking surface
had finally cracked on one side, causing a bulge at that point ;-(

They only seem to last me 7 or 9 months before wearing out (D521).

So, now I gotta buy me a new rim, and lace it up. Ain't never done this before, so, I think it may
take me some time to get right. Not only do I need to use the bike daily and so gotta try and fit
this job in somehow, but this is all gonna cost me 'ring' money, which sucks like a whole galaxy of
turbo'd Dysons.

I'm just a little bit ****** off........

Shaun aRe - gotta ride it with f/u wheel 5 1/2 road miles tonight, then same tomorrow morning, then
again after work etc. or I don't get to work - no other choice.

In a brief moment of lucidity Shaun Rimmer scribbled:

> Shaun aRe - gotta ride it with f/u wheel 5 1/2 road miles tonight, then same tomorrow morning,
> then again after work etc. or I don't get to work - no other choice.

There's always a choice .. ;)

Why not buy a cheap set of wheels, ready-built, with freewheel and cluster all ready to swap and use
these just for commuting to work ? Presumably these and a cheap set of full road tyres would cut out
over use of more expensive componentry .. ;)

--

Completed 1533 Seti work units in 11515 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

wibble forth the following:

> In a brief moment of lucidity Shaun Rimmer scribbled:
>
> > Shaun aRe - gotta ride it with f/u wheel 5 1/2 road miles tonight, then same tomorrow morning,
> > then again after work etc. or I don't get to work - no other choice.
>
> There's always a choice .. ;)

I choose to be rich!

> Why not buy a cheap set of wheels,

Can't afford.

> ready-built,

And pay more not affordable money for labour?

> with freewheel and cluster

Too much money.

> all ready to swap and use these just for commuting to work ?

I'd love to have road and off road wheels (truth be told, I'd use the same set-up of wheels, and
just run semi's, so I could still 'play' rough), things is, I ain't got the money!

> Presumably these and a cheap set of full road tyres would cut out over use of more expensive
> componentry .. ;)

Yeah, it's alright saying the old 'spend now to save later' thing, but to do that, you need to have
the _fsking_ _money_ _now_!!! Arrrrgggggg!!!!!

Ahem - short answer is: 'I'm too skint'.

',;~}

Shaun aRe

> Well, went to wheel the BASE outa the flat this morning, for to ride the beast into work, and the
> back V brake was catching hard on one section of the rim. I squeezed the lever a few times, and it
> righted itself for a few seconds. ?!?!?!?!? I thunk to meself, then I takes a closer look, like.
>
> Well, me closer look revealed the horrible truth! Yes, the bloody rim's badly worn braking surface
> had finally cracked on one side, causing a
bulge
> at that point ;-(
>
> They only seem to last me 7 or 9 months before wearing out (D521).
>
> So, now I gotta buy me a new rim, and lace it up. Ain't never done this before, so, I think it may
> take me some time to get right. Not only do I need to use the bike daily and so gotta try and fit
> this job in somehow,
but
> this is all gonna cost me 'ring' money, which sucks like a whole galaxy of turbo'd Dysons.

Bummer! You know you won't have to re-lace the wheel if you tape the new rim to the old one (also
assuming same ERD rim) and transfer the spokes over (using new nipples)? Then just bring it up to
tension and true it. Ring money?! Heehehehe... just wait until you're really married and need bike
stuff. ;^) .

Mike

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Well, went to wheel the BASE outa the flat this morning, for to ride the beast into work, and
> > the back V brake was catching hard on one section
of
> > the rim. I squeezed the lever a few times, and it righted itself for a
few
> > seconds. ?!?!?!?!? I thunk to meself, then I takes a closer look, like.
> >
> > Well, me closer look revealed the horrible truth! Yes, the bloody rim's badly worn braking
> > surface had finally cracked on one side, causing a
> bulge
> > at that point ;-(
> >
> > They only seem to last me 7 or 9 months before wearing out (D521).
> >
> > So, now I gotta buy me a new rim, and lace it up. Ain't never done this before, so, I think it
> > may take me some time to get right. Not only do I need to use the bike daily and so gotta try
> > and fit this job in somehow,
> but
> > this is all gonna cost me 'ring' money, which sucks like a whole galaxy
of
> > turbo'd Dysons.
> >

> Bummer!

Indeed Sir Dart, indeed ;-(

> You know you won't have to re-lace the wheel if you tape the new rim to the old one (also assuming
> same ERD rim) and transfer the spokes over (using new nipples)?

Aye - I came up with this very thought earlier, all one me own like - in't that a coincidence!?!

> Then just bring it up to tension and true it.

Aye - have to do this in the frame - no stand and no time to impro one.

> Ring money?!

Yup.

> Heehehehe... just wait until you're really married and need bike stuff. ;^) .

Heheheh - no worries matey, no worries',;~}~ <silver tongue, heheheheheh! Woooooo!

Cheers!

Shaun aRe - looks like I may have a loaner bike of some description coming my way - prolly be a
better commuter than the heavy BASE anyhow.........

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun R says:
>
> >Yeah, it's alright saying the old 'spend now to save later' thing, but to
do
> >that, you need to have the _fsking_ _money_ _now_!!! Arrrrgggggg!!!!!
>
> Funny how some folks just can't seem to get this into their heads isn't
it?
> NOT!

Eh????

Shaun aRe

> Well, went to wheel the BASE outa the flat this morning, for to ride the beast into work, and the
> back V brake was catching hard on one section of the rim. I squeezed the lever a few times, and it
> righted itself for a few seconds. ?!?!?!?!? I thunk to meself, then I takes a closer look, like.
>
> Well, me closer look revealed the horrible truth! Yes, the bloody rim's badly worn braking surface
> had finally cracked on one side, causing a
bulge
> at that point ;-(
>
> They only seem to last me 7 or 9 months before wearing out (D521).
>
> So, now I gotta buy me a new rim, and lace it up. Ain't never done this before, so, I think it may
> take me some time to get right. Not only do I need to use the bike daily and so gotta try and fit
> this job in somehow,
but
> this is all gonna cost me 'ring' money, which sucks like a whole galaxy of turbo'd Dysons.
>

> I'm just a little bit ****** off........
>

> Shaun aRe - gotta ride it with f/u wheel 5 1/2 road miles tonight, then
same
> tomorrow morning, then again after work etc. or I don't get to work - no other choice.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to get your rolling endos sorted out. Or maybe a Switzerland
(sp?) Squeaker.

Andy Chequer just a thought.

In a brief moment of lucidity Shaun Rimmer scribbled:

> wibble forth the following:

>> Presumably these and a cheap set of full road tyres would cut out over use of more expensive
>> componentry .. ;)
>
> Yeah, it's alright saying the old 'spend now to save later' thing, but to do that, you need to
> have the _fsking_ _money_ _now_!!! Arrrrgggggg!!!!!
>
> Ahem - short answer is: 'I'm too skint'.

Heheheh, just looked and first price I got was £24 (Raines) for D521's so they're already not
exactly vastly expensive anyway .. ;)

OK, nuff said .. get a rim, start working, good luck and tight spokes ahead .. ;)

--

Completed 1533 Seti work units in 11515 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

news:[email protected]...
> In a brief moment of lucidity Shaun Rimmer scribbled:
>

> > wibble forth the following:
>
> >> Presumably these and a cheap set of full road tyres would cut out over use of more expensive
> >> componentry .. ;)
> >
> > Yeah, it's alright saying the old 'spend now to save later' thing, but to do that, you need to
> > have the _fsking_ _money_ _now_!!! Arrrrgggggg!!!!!
> >
> > Ahem - short answer is: 'I'm too skint'.
>
> Heheheh, just looked and first price I got was £24 (Raines) for D521's so they're already not
> exactly vastly expensive anyway .. ;)
>
> OK, nuff said .. get a rim, start working, good luck and tight spokes ahead .. ;)

Cheers Paul - yup, got in touch with LBS John, and he's gonna sell me one for £20 and throw in
nipples (OooO!) - will set too Sat/Sun and see if I can make it work......

Still, gotz ta get me a Hope Mini for the back as well so I don't wear these dang rims oot so quick.

Shaun aRe - Should might maybe have some tax creds coming soon (fingers and fings crossed, about
£600...)...

Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message

> > Well, went to wheel the BASE outa the flat this morning, for to ride the beast into work, and
> > the back V brake was catching hard on one section
of
> > the rim. I squeezed the lever a few times, and it righted itself for a
few
> > seconds. ?!?!?!?!? I thunk to meself, then I takes a closer look, like.
> >
> > Well, me closer look revealed the horrible truth! Yes, the bloody rim's badly worn braking
> > surface had finally cracked on one side, causing a
> bulge
> > at that point ;-(
> >
> > They only seem to last me 7 or 9 months before wearing out (D521).
> >
> > So, now I gotta buy me a new rim, and lace it up. Ain't never done this before, so, I think it
> > may take me some time to get right. Not only do I need to use the bike daily and so gotta try
> > and fit this job in somehow,
> but
> > this is all gonna cost me 'ring' money, which sucks like a whole galaxy
of
> > turbo'd Dysons.
> >

> > I'm just a little bit ****** off........
> >

> > Shaun aRe - gotta ride it with f/u wheel 5 1/2 road miles tonight, then
> same
> > tomorrow morning, then again after work etc. or I don't get to work - no other choice.
>
> Sounds like an ideal opportunity to get your rolling endos sorted out. Or maybe a Switzerland
> (sp?) Squeaker.

WTF is a S/S?

> Andy Chequer just a thought.

You're already on hard ration AC - so, try to make each one a good one, OK? ',;~}

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>Sounds like an ideal opportunity to get your rolling endos sorted out. Or maybe a Switzerland
>>(sp?) Squeaker.
>

> WTF is a S/S?

Endo -> one foot on the pedal and move the other foot on to the top of the tyre underneath the
downtube/headtube weld. Release front brake, scuff backwards on the tyre and reapply brake
maintaining balance. Repeat.

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >>Sounds like an ideal opportunity to get your rolling endos sorted out.
Or
> >>maybe a Switzerland (sp?) Squeaker.
> >

> > WTF is a S/S?
>
> Endo -> one foot on the pedal and move the other foot on to the top of the tyre underneath the
> downtube/headtube weld. Release front brake, scuff backwards on the tyre and reapply brake
> maintaining balance.
Repeat.

Oh, ta muchly - gonna have to try that on't way 'ome like........

Shaun aRe ',;~}

> Well, went to wheel the BASE outa the flat this morning, for to ride the beast into work, and the
> back V brake was catching hard on one section of the rim. I squeezed the lever a few times, and it
> righted itself for a few seconds. ?!?!?!?!? I thunk to meself, then I takes a closer look, like.
>
> Well, me closer look revealed the horrible truth! Yes, the bloody rim's badly worn braking surface
> had finally cracked on one side, causing a
bulge
> at that point ;-(
>
> They only seem to last me 7 or 9 months before wearing out (D521).
>
> So, now I gotta buy me a new rim, and lace it up. Ain't never done this before, so, I think it may
> take me some time to get right. Not only do I need to use the bike daily and so gotta try and fit
> this job in somehow,
but
> this is all gonna cost me 'ring' money, which sucks like a whole galaxy of turbo'd Dysons.
>

> I'm just a little bit ****** off........

Or, do what I did to my backup hardtail, and it won't cost you a cent (farthing???):

My rear rim wore out its braking surface, so that the "seam" severely grabbed the brake pad. The
resulting pulsation was quite unpleasant, and would have been friggin' deadly on a front wheel.

I tried sanding it to no avail.

So, I simply moved the brake pad so it hits the rim lower than the bulge! (True, this will probably
cause a catastophic failure eventually, when the shoe goes into the spokes, but what me worry?)

Bill "in the market for a nice wheelset for fully, so can transfer current to ht" S.

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Well, went to wheel the BASE outa the flat this morning, for to ride the beast into work, and
> > the back V brake was catching hard on one section
of
> > the rim. I squeezed the lever a few times, and it righted itself for a
few
> > seconds. ?!?!?!?!? I thunk to meself, then I takes a closer look, like.
> >
> > Well, me closer look revealed the horrible truth! Yes, the bloody rim's badly worn braking
> > surface had finally cracked on one side, causing a
> bulge
> > at that point ;-(
> >
> > They only seem to last me 7 or 9 months before wearing out (D521).
> >
> > So, now I gotta buy me a new rim, and lace it up. Ain't never done this before, so, I think it
> > may take me some time to get right. Not only do I need to use the bike daily and so gotta try
> > and fit this job in somehow,
> but
> > this is all gonna cost me 'ring' money, which sucks like a whole galaxy
of
> > turbo'd Dysons.
> >

> > I'm just a little bit ****** off........
>
> Or, do what I did to my backup hardtail, and it won't cost you a cent (farthing???):
>
> My rear rim wore out its braking surface, so that the "seam" severely grabbed the brake pad. The
> resulting pulsation was quite unpleasant, and would have been friggin' deadly on a front wheel.
>
> I tried sanding it to no avail.
>
> So, I simply moved the brake pad so it hits the rim lower than the bulge! (True, this will
> probably cause a catastophic failure eventually, when the shoe goes into the spokes, but what
> me worry?)
>
> Bill "in the market for a nice wheelset for fully, so can transfer current to ht" S.

521's, welded and machined - seam no problem. There is a crack, a fissure, a narrow tear in the
centre of the braking surface spreading about 1/4 of the way around the rim. It's worn through, it's
fooked, It's a has-been. It is a thing that was. It is no longer. It's had it's day. It's dead and
soon to be buried. Deceased. It is an 'ex'-rim.

Besides all that, your idea is stupid anyway.

Hope that helps ',;~}

Shaun aRe

> > In a brief moment of lucidity Shaun Rimmer scribbled:
> >

> > > wibble forth the following:

> > > Yeah, it's alright saying the old 'spend now to save later' thing, but to do that, you need to
> > > have the _fsking_ _money_ _now_!!! Arrrrgggggg!!!!!
> > >
> > > Ahem - short answer is: 'I'm too skint'.
> >
> > Heheheh, just looked and first price I got was £24 (Raines) for D521's so they're already not
> > exactly vastly expensive anyway .. ;)
> >
> > OK, nuff said .. get a rim, start working, good luck and tight spokes ahead .. ;)
>
> Cheers Paul - yup, got in touch with LBS John, and he's gonna sell me one for £20 and throw in
> nipples (OooO!) - will set too Sat/Sun and see if I
can
> make it work......
>
> Still, gotz ta get me a Hope Mini for the back as well so I don't wear
these
> dang rims oot so quick.

Hey Shaun, Just picking this up now (dang half-assed news server). If you're going through rims so
quick (ahh the irony) then maybe it would be worth spending extra dosh for a ceramic coated rim,
s'posed to reduce wear on the actual braking surface. I know this is still spend money to save
money, but its not as expensive as buying a new set of wheels. Alternately cover the rim in
superglue and throw around the beach until liberally coated in sand - voila, you may find you go
through more brake blocks this way.

If you are swapping the rim out yourself, an easy way to do it is to tape the two rims together and
just swap the spokes over one by one, this way you don't have to worry about spoke patterns etc.
Although its more fun building a wheel from scratch ;-)...

Later,

Steve E.

> Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > So, I simply moved the brake pad so it hits the rim lower than the
bulge!

> 521's, welded and machined - seam no problem. There is a crack, a fissure,
> narrow tear in the centre of the braking surface spreading about 1/4 of
the
> way around the rim. It's worn through, it's fooked, It's a has-been. It is
> thing that was. It is no longer. It's had it's day. It's dead and soon to
be
> buried. Deceased. It is an 'ex'-rim.

What are you trying to say?

> Besides all that, your idea is stupid anyway.

Much better.

Bill "chased to the cut" S.

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Still, gotz ta get me a Hope Mini for the back as well so I don't wear
> these
> > dang rims oot so quick.
>
> Hey Shaun, Just picking this up now (dang half-assed news server). If you're going through rims so
> quick (ahh the irony) then maybe it would be worth
spending
> extra dosh for a ceramic coated rim, s'posed to reduce wear on the actual braking surface. I know
> this is still spend money to save money, but its
not
> as expensive as buying a new set of wheels. Alternately cover the rim in superglue and throw
> around the beach until liberally coated in sand -
voila,
> you may find you go through more brake blocks this way.
>
> If you are swapping the rim out yourself, an easy way to do it is to tape the two rims together
> and just swap the spokes over one by one, this way
you
> don't have to worry about spoke patterns etc. Although its more fun
building
> a wheel from scratch ;-)...
>
> Later,
>
> Steve E.

Hey Steve - yeah, cheers for the thoughts, but I do intend to put the Hope on there this year
anyhow. P.s. your glue and sand idea is silly ',;~P`````````

Thanks for the taping trick tip, The Dart Dude already mentioned it though, and I'd sorta
come up with that one by myself anyhow, but I'm gonna use big cable ties (don't want mucky
gum glue on them).

Cheers! I pick the rim up very shortly, and might even start on it tonight - wish me luck!!!!!

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> Thanks for the taping trick tip, The Dart Dude already mentioned it though, and I'd sorta come
> up with that one by myself anyhow, but I'm gonna use big cable ties (don't want mucky gum glue
> on them).

Masking tape'll do the job.

> Cheers! I pick the rim up very shortly, and might even start on it tonight - wish me luck!!!!!

Good luck :)