Dang rim brakes!!!!!!

news:<[email protected]>...
> 521's, welded and machined - seam no problem. There is a crack, a fissure, a narrow tear in the
> centre of the braking surface spreading about 1/4 of the way around the rim. It's worn through,
> it's fooked, It's a has-been. It is a thing that was. It is no longer. It's had it's day. It's
> dead and soon to be buried. Deceased. It is an 'ex'-rim.
>
> Besides all that, your idea is stupid anyway.
>
> Hope that helps ',;~}
>
> Shaun aRe

Heh heh. Mavic charges about twice as much as they should for rims. If money is tight, switch to Sun
Rhynos ~$30. You can buy new spokes to fit and still save...

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:00:30 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip Eeor whoa is me story]

Now's the time to pony up the bucks, oops I meant pounds, and buy some discs.

Peace You Hippy,

:-]

Dietrich Wiegmann <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > 521's, welded and machined - seam no problem. There is a crack, a
fissure, a
> > narrow tear in the centre of the braking surface spreading about 1/4 of
the
> > way around the rim. It's worn through, it's fooked, It's a has-been. It
is a
> > thing that was. It is no longer. It's had it's day. It's dead and soon
to be
> > buried. Deceased. It is an 'ex'-rim.
> >
> > Besides all that, your idea is stupid anyway.
> >
> > Hope that helps ',;~}
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>

> Heh heh. Mavic charges about twice as much as they should for rims. If money is tight, switch to
> Sun Rhynos ~$30. You can buy new spokes to fit and still save...

The D521's are the only rims that have stood up to my clumsiness, so, at £20 a pop from my LBS, I'll
prolly stick to 'em for now.

Cheers anyhow!

Shaun aRe

> Hey Steve - yeah, cheers for the thoughts, but I do intend to put the Hope on there this year
> anyhow. P.s. your glue and sand idea is silly ',;~P`````````

You tried it too eh? You do stop damn quick though.

> Thanks for the taping trick tip, The Dart Dude already mentioned it
though,
> and I'd sorta come up with that one by myself anyhow, but I'm gonna use
big
> cable ties (don't want mucky gum glue on them).

Just line up the valve holes and make sure both rims are oriented the same
i.e. any spoke offset on the same sides etc. Don't screw the nipples on too much until you have been
all the way round, or you won't have enough leeway for the last few spokes. After the spokes
are swopped over screw all the nipples just until no thread is showing on the spokes, this
should give you a base starting point for truing.

> Cheers! I pick the rim up very shortly, and might even start on it
tonight -
> wish me luck!!!!!

Good luck!

Steve E.
p.s. put on a decent CD and take your time.

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the taping trick tip, The Dart Dude already mentioned it
though,
> > and I'd sorta come up with that one by myself anyhow, but I'm gonna use
big
> > cable ties (don't want mucky gum glue on them).
>
> Masking tape'll do the job.

Cheers Jon - figured that, but since I don't have any, but have a whole heap of really long cable
ties, not much point in buying some, is there?

> > Cheers! I pick the rim up very shortly, and might even start on it
tonight -
> > wish me luck!!!!!
>
> Good luck :)

Thanls mate - didn't start last night, 'cos I ended up over at Kath's. Am there again tonight, but
herself and daughter are off to a swimaerobic type thingy, so, I'll prolly get stuck in then.

Shaun aRe - I have no feer, 'cos I got beer.

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:00:30 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip Eeor whoa is me story]
>
> Now's the time to pony up the bucks, oops I meant pounds, and buy some discs.

Aye - soon, hopefully. Got the Mini (with custom herpetologist rotor nom less) on the front already,
and been dying to get the back fixed up with another.

> Peace You Hippy,

dropping of an SS'er.

Shaun aRe - Hippy my ****.

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Hey Steve - yeah, cheers for the thoughts, but I do intend to put the
Hope
> > on there this year anyhow. P.s. your glue and sand idea is silly ',;~P`````````
>
> You tried it too eh? You do stop damn quick though.

Yeah, once.............

> > Thanks for the taping trick tip, The Dart Dude already mentioned it
> though,
> > and I'd sorta come up with that one by myself anyhow, but I'm gonna use
> big
> > cable ties (don't want mucky gum glue on them).
>
> Just line up the valve holes and make sure both rims are oriented the same
> i.e. any spoke offset on the same sides etc.

Aye, got this bit down from common sense and logic - ta.

> Don't screw the nipples on too much until you have been all the way round, or you won't
> have enough
leeway
> for the last few spokes.

Cheers for that!

> After the spokes are swopped over screw all the nipples just until no thread is showing on the
> spokes, this should give
you
> a base starting point for truing.

Ta - yeah, got a wheelbuilding thingy in a .doc that menations this.

> > Cheers! I pick the rim up very shortly, and might even start on it
> tonight -
> > wish me luck!!!!!
>
> Good luck!
>
> Steve E.
> p.s. put on a decent CD and take your time.

Aye, no worries! Kath and daughter are out for a bit tonight, so gonna likely start then. I got the
loaner bike as long as I want it ("Shaun, could you like, errmm, get it dirty and stuff, ya know,
make it look well used, so I can look all cool when I get it back? Cheers!") - still, should be
right to ride mine by the end of the weekend......

Cheers!

Shaun aRe