DANGER: Trek multitrack 7300 (hybrid) aluminum bracket sheers off, rips apart entire rear end of bik

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:42:25 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> Many posters on rec.bicycles.tech put far more than 2,100
>> miles on their bicycles every year--and keep them for ten
>> and twenty and thirty years.

>Yet most people that buy bicycles, be they aluminum or steel, probably ride
>less than a few hundred miles per year, so the difference in longevity is
>unimportant for them; it is essentially a lifetime.Yet while some web sites
>claim that the early problems with aluminum frames have been solved, and
>this is true for the most part, there are still a non-trivial number of
>recalls of aluminum frames.

From what I have seen, those recalls tend to be due to bad welding
techniques some of the time, and foolish fashion-driven frame design
too much of the time.

>Automakers have often tried to equate the race cars they sponsor with their
>standard products. It's as meaningless for bicycles as it is for cars.

The difference is that while no Ford, Chrysler or GM dealer can
deliver a street-legal product with more than a purely superficial
resemblance to the Nascar-circuit vehicles that bear their marks, most
bike makers will cheerfully deliver a bike that's fairly close to what
they provided to last year's factory-sponsored racing teams. Some
will even sell their current full-race version to anyone with the
money. I'm sure, however, that there is still a readily detectable
level of difference between such a bike and the models that they make
in large numbers, and the vast majority of their sales will be from
the mass-produced versions, not the specialty pro-race lines.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Many posters on rec.bicycles.tech put far more than 2,100
>>miles on their bicycles every year--and keep them for ten
>>and twenty and thirty years.

> Yet most people that buy bicycles, be they aluminum or steel, probably ride
> less than a few hundred miles per year, so the difference in longevity is
> unimportant for them; it is essentially a lifetime.

I put between six and ten thousand miles per year on my bikes and plan
to keep them for at least a decade, so longevity is a consideration.

My current bike is 15 years old and has already exceeded the longevity
of the three that preceded it. So far the only items requiring
replacement have been tires, chains, cassettes, cables, brake pads,
handlebar tape, a pedal bearing, and one rim. Except for the rim, the
frame and other aluminum parts have been holding up fine.

BTW, my three previous bikes that had earlier frame failures all had
steel frames. One failed due to an impact so doesn't really count, but
the other two had failures unrelated to any crash or impact. One of the
failures was sudden and "catastrophic" (in the engineering sense) and I
still have some scars from the ensuing fall.

Durable bicycle frames can be made of a variety of materials including
steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber when designed in a way that
emphasizes longevity. All of those materials can also be used to build
bicycle frames that will fail prematurely, especially if the emphasis is
placed on minimum weight at all costs or an inadequately tested, but
cool-looking frame geometry.

[email protected] wrote:

> Why do you think that a multi-millionaire "needs" to use his
> bikes for more than just one race?

He could probably sell it as a collectors item for more than it would
cost him to replace it (if he actually had to pay for his bicycles!).

In any case, the discussion was regarding aluminum frames, not
carbon-fiber frames.

Peter wrote:

> Durable bicycle frames can be made of a variety of materials

including
> steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber when designed in a way

that
> emphasizes longevity.

If you look back at the orignal post in this thread, the issue was with
the failure of the derailleur hanger. This is replaceable, at least on
some alumunim frames for two reasons. First to protect the frame from
damage in the event of an impact on the hanger, and second, because
this part of the frame needs to be of a thickness that precludes making
it strong enough to last a lifetime, using aluminum.

This is a clever workaround to the inherent limitations of aluminum,
though as the original poster learned, there can be collateral damage,
and injuries, when this sort of failure occurs.

It's a design flaw that there is no mechanism to stop a breakaway
hanger from becoming entangled in the rear wheel when it breaks. You
can't plan for every eventuality, but this is a component that is
designed to break in a planned manner.

Look at the safety bars inside garage door springs, that were added to
prevent the spring from becoming a lethal projectile when it breaks.
Perhaps the breakaway hanger needs to be secured in a way that when it
breaks, it doesn't go very far. They learned how to use thicker tubing,
in larger diameters, how to weld aluminum so the welds won't crack, the
advantages of full suspension to remove the stress from the frame on
mountain bikes, the use of breakaway hangers for a necessarily thin
part of the frame that is subject to stress, etc.

There have been stupider lawsuits against bicycle manufactures, i.e.
the one where a guy who was injured while riding at night, speeding
down a hill, with no lights, down the middle of the road, when a car
turned in front of him. This individual won a lawsuit against the
importer of the bicycle, because the court concluded that the
manufacturer should have equipped the bicycle with lights, or included
a warning about riding at night.

[email protected] wrote:

> If you look back at the orignal post in this thread, the issue was

with
> the failure of the derailleur hanger. This is replaceable, at least

on
> some alumunim frames for two reasons. First to protect the frame from
> damage in the event of an impact on the hanger, and second, because
> this part of the frame needs to be of a thickness that precludes

making
> it strong enough to last a lifetime, using aluminum.

Again, I'm riding a 1986 Cannondale touring bike. It has no
replaceable derailleur hanger, and I doubt very much that it's ever
going to need one. The typical stresses that hanger sees are tiny.
They will _not_ cause a fatigue failure. The hanger would incur large
stress only if the bike were dropped heavily on the derailleur, or the
derailleur were shifted strongly into the spokes.

My wife's identical bike did land on the derailleur once, getting a
slight bend in the hanger. I straightened it with a crescent wrench.
It's been fine for many, many years and countless shifts since then.

I think a more likely explanation for the replaceable hanger is this:
With a steel frame, if someone does have a truly catastrophic failure
(say, shifting into the spokes and severely twisting the hanger), a new
dropout can be brazed in place, or the old hanger can be cut off and a
new one brazed on. An oxyacetylene set is all you need. With a heat
treated aluminum frame, that's not so easy. At the very least, the
heat treatment in that area would be destroyed. Hence, replaceable
hangers - and, like so many items, originally intended for the beating
that mountain bikes get. For a bike ridden on the road, it's going to
be a vanishingly rare issue.

[Can we ask at this point: How many people with replaceable hangers on
road or touring bikes have had to replace them?]

> They learned how to use thicker tubing,
> in larger diameters, how to weld aluminum so the welds won't crack,

the
> advantages of full suspension to remove the stress from the frame on
> mountain bikes...

Do you _really_ think that's the reason for suspension on mountain
bikes???

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>

>>Durable bicycle frames can be made of a variety of materials
>>including steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber when
>>designed in a way that emphasizes longevity.

> If you look back at the orignal post in this thread, the issue was with
> the failure of the derailleur hanger.

That was the OPs supposition, but several other posters already pointed
out that this was unlikely as the cause of the mishap given the low
stress on this part in normal riding.

This is replaceable, at least on
> some alumunim frames for two reasons.

It used to be replaceable on all frames since it came as part of the
deraillleur and was bolted to the dropout.

> First to protect the frame from
> damage in the event of an impact on the hanger,

In the event of an impact the hanger can get bent. Since it would be
weakened considerably by attempting to bend it back it makes sense to
make it replaceable.
and second, because
> this part of the frame needs to be of a thickness that precludes making
> it strong enough to last a lifetime, using aluminum.

Looking at my frame, it's clear that the hanger could easily be made
somewhat thicker - enough so that given the flatness of fatigue curves
once you get out to 10^5 cycles, the lifetime would be increased by
several orders of magnitude. Since it has already lasted 15 years with
the current thickness, this minor design change would make it resistant
to fatigue for thousands of years. Furthermore since it's a separate
part from the rest of the frame, there's no reason why it has to made
from aluminum. If the designer had felt that some other material was
more suitable in that location there's no reason why it couldn't have
been substituted (for example, steel was chosen as the material for the
bolts that hold this piece to the frame). As far as I can tell it's
already designed to last a lifetime of normal use but is also
replaceable in the event of damage from an abnormal stress such as a
collision.

> This is a clever workaround to the inherent limitations of aluminum,
> though as the original poster learned, there can be collateral damage,
> and injuries, when this sort of failure occurs.

All indications are that the hanger was part of the collateral damage
that occurred after something jammed the chain and derailleur. I've
only witnessed a similar incident once where the hanger was twisted and
additional collateral frame damage occurred. Of course that was on a
steel-framed bike.

On 7 Apr 2005 08:53:01 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>[Can we ask at this point: How many people with replaceable hangers on
>road or touring bikes have had to replace them?]
>- Frank Krygowski

For that matter, how many mountain bike RD hangers ever get replaced,
as a proportion of total sales?

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 7 Apr 2005 08:53:01 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >[Can we ask at this point: How many people with replaceable hangers on
> >road or touring bikes have had to replace them?]
> >- Frank Krygowski

> For that matter, how many mountain bike RD hangers ever get replaced,
> as a proportion of total sales?

Let's just say that it was enough of a problem for manufacturers to go to
the expense of introducing breakaway hangers, and any increase in production
cost is instituted only for a very good reason.

Usenet surveys are notoriously unreliable in terms of reaching a factual
conclusion. There was some braniac a while back that posed the question, Did
you ever not see a legally lit cyclist?" It was pointed out to him, by many
others, that asking whether someone did not see something is not a logical
question, how would they know that they didn't see it?

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> "Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 7 Apr 2005 08:53:01 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > >[Can we ask at this point: How many people with replaceable

hangers on
> > >road or touring bikes have had to replace them?]
> > >- Frank Krygowski

> > For that matter, how many mountain bike RD hangers ever get

replaced,
> > as a proportion of total sales?

> Let's just say that it was enough of a problem for manufacturers to

go to
> the expense of introducing breakaway hangers, and any increase in

production
> cost is instituted only for a very good reason.

However, you've not given any proof that fatigue failures - the topic
that originated this thread - were, indeed the reason. In fact, you
haven't given any evidence at all!

> Usenet surveys are notoriously unreliable in terms of reaching a

factual
> conclusion. There was some braniac a while back that posed the

question, Did
> you ever not see a legally lit cyclist?" It was pointed out to him,

by many
> others, that asking whether someone did not see something is not a

logical
> question, how would they know that they didn't see it?

:) Of course, the person posing that deliberately abbreviated
question assumed others would have the intellectual capacity - or
intellectual honesty - to understand he meant "not see him until
uncomfortably late to avoid collision," or other words to that effect.

He was, of course, sadly overestimating the intellectual attributes of
at least one responder!

- Frank Krygowski

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:40:46 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On 7 Apr 2005 08:53:01 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >[Can we ask at this point: How many people with replaceable hangers on
>> >road or touring bikes have had to replace them?]
>> >- Frank Krygowski

>> For that matter, how many mountain bike RD hangers ever get replaced,
>> as a proportion of total sales?

>Let's just say that it was enough of a problem for manufacturers to go to
>the expense of introducing breakaway hangers, and any increase in production
>cost is instituted only for a very good reason.

Not sure about this; sure, breakaway hangers probably help on high end
DH bikes which get seriously abused, but they're now appearing as a
selling point on bikes which we all know will never be ridden on
anything more challenging than a tow path by 99% of buyers. I suspect
they're there because they are just one more "feature" which persuades
punters that they're buying a real off road bike. Aside from marketing
cachet, it would probably be cheaper to replace the frames of users
who break off their hangers than to make them replaceable for bikes
retailing below $500.

Anyway, it's a genuine question, if unlikely to receive an accurate
answer here.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:40:46 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

hangers on

> >> For that matter, how many mountain bike RD hangers ever get

replaced,
> >> as a proportion of total sales?

> >Let's just say that it was enough of a problem for manufacturers to

go to
> >the expense of introducing breakaway hangers, and any increase in

production
> >cost is instituted only for a very good reason.
> >

> Not sure about this; sure, breakaway hangers probably help on high

end
> DH bikes which get seriously abused, but they're now appearing as a
> selling point on bikes which we all know will never be ridden on
> anything more challenging than a tow path by 99% of buyers. I suspect
> they're there because they are just one more "feature" which

persuades
> punters that they're buying a real off road bike. Aside from

marketing
> cachet, it would probably be cheaper to replace the frames of users
> who break off their hangers than to make them replaceable for bikes
> retailing below $500.
>
> Anyway, it's a genuine question, if unlikely to receive an accurate
> answer here.

It's very easy to bend hangers, particularly on long-cage MTB
derailers. You don't have to crash hard, you can just bump something.
Once an aluminum hanger has been bent, it's prone to cracking. It's not
an expensive part. Inexpensive bikes may have inexpensive frames, but
the labor cost in swapping a frame is substantial. Having bent (and
replaced) a hanger on a mid-price MTB, I'd want one even on a
low-priced bike.

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:40:46 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

hangers on

> >> For that matter, how many mountain bike RD hangers ever get

replaced,
> >> as a proportion of total sales?

> >Let's just say that it was enough of a problem for manufacturers to

go to
> >the expense of introducing breakaway hangers, and any increase in

production
> >cost is instituted only for a very good reason.
> >

> Not sure about this; sure, breakaway hangers probably help on high

end
> DH bikes which get seriously abused, but they're now appearing as a
> selling point on bikes which we all know will never be ridden on
> anything more challenging than a tow path by 99% of buyers. I suspect
> they're there because they are just one more "feature" which

persuades
> punters that they're buying a real off road bike. Aside from

marketing
> cachet, it would probably be cheaper to replace the frames of users
> who break off their hangers than to make them replaceable for bikes
> retailing below $500.
>
> Anyway, it's a genuine question, if unlikely to receive an accurate
> answer here.

Your average and low-end punter doesn't take very good care of their
bikes, and dropping them onto the derailleur side is a common one if my
workshop is any judge. The other issue is teenage stunt merchants
being able to jump but not land, which, whilst not exactly being a
warranty issue, is common enough that you'd hope frames were designed
at least partly around it. Anyone with a teenage son is probably
nodding in agreement right now.

(yes, just dropping onto rear mech won't snap the hanger. Riding like
that and trying to change into the biggest sprocket positively ought
to. )

We do alu-framed bikes from about $200 upwards these days. All of
these have replaceable hangers, we moaned extremely loudly at the
manufacturer when they tried to ship us one that didn't. Given the
frequency and cost of breaking that bit of the frame it makes sense
purely from a customer satisfaction POV.

And while people are asking for LBS feedback on steel versus alu
durability: we had a fair few 80s-vintage Raleigh racers breaking away
the LH seat stay, usually after 14 years of a 15 year warranty - looked
like a batch of dodgy welding to me. Other than that we get the
occasional weld or broken frame on a steel Raleigh, usually old and
somewhat rusty, and we've never yet had a snapped alu frame. Replaced
a few for non-structural issues like paint or threads, never had an alu
frame come back. This shop has been around for longer than aluminium
frames, so I think we've got a decent sample size.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:33:58 CST, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >If that's true, now that the Tour de France (and all other races)

are
> >composed purely of aluminum and carbon bikes, what is the rate of
> >failures there? After all, these are bikes that are ridden more in a
> >month than most bicycles get ridden in their entire lifetime.

> And in many cases, are then discarded. These are *racing* bikes.
> They aren't intended to be racing 2 years from now because they'll be
> 2 years out of date at that point.

I've got a fairly convincing counterexample to that, and you'll hate
it, because it's composed entirely of fashion victims :)

Seriously, there are an awful lot of riders who buy a bike "because
it's exactly what Lance rides". Somehow I can't imagine they throw
their bikes away every season, so either they keep riding them or
someone else does secondhand. My dad is currently riding the same
(make of) frame Lance won his second tour on, and I'm sure there are
many more like him. None of them are coming back with complaints, and
believe me if I'd dropped several thousand on a new bike I'd be
complaining if it broke any time soon.

> While it is possible to buy a bike
> substantially similar to many of those used in the TdF, doing so when
> the intent is to obtain a *durable* product is the wrong approach.
> Racing hardware, whether it's intended for cars, motorcycles,
> skateboards or bikes, is oriented towards short-term performance, not
> longevity. It doesn't have to be the best stuff for *any* use, it
> just has to be the best for the specific event, for long enough to

get
> to the end of the course.
>
> >Plus,
> >they get ridden outside in the rain, get bashed over cobblestone

roads
> >at high speed, and get washed with corrosive chemicals and blasted

with
> >a hose every single day of their lives.

> And do you really think they don't also have multiple backup bikes,
> techs to check them each day, and spares for everything that might
> wear or fail?

The Cervelo guys were insisting in a cyclingnews interview that the CSC
riders rode the same bike for all the flat stages (including crashes,
which CSC seemed rather prone to in last year's tour). Reading various
mechanic's diaries, they (claim to) replace a lot less stuff than you'd
imagine. Even after Roubaix they won't be throwing any frames away.
Chains yes, tubs by the handful, frames no.

> >When WAS the last time a steel bike won any significant race, of any
> >kind, any where? I'm not old enough to remember.

> Probably in the '70s, maybe the '80s. What of it? Those were
> tissue-thin steel frames, not intended to be any more durable than

the
> beer-can aluminum ones that replaced them. As with the new ones, a
> bike for a high-end comepetitive TdF team hasn't been built for a
> 75000km life expectancy in a very long time. There's no reason to do
> so; it's going to be retired at the end of the season, or maybe even
> at the end of the race. It's been a long time since *that* wasn't
> true.

Sticking with the same team, the Motorola team used to sell their
season's bikes on at the end of every year. I never heard tales of
people complaining about how their Lance mobile broke soon after being
bought, and I rather doubt Merckx (the Motorola sponsor at the time)
would have let anything with his name and the Motorola livery be ridden
if it was likely to break. The potential PR disaster just doesn't bear
thinking about.

"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>
> Aside from marketing
> cachet, it would probably be cheaper to replace the frames of users
> who break off their hangers than to make them replaceable for bikes
> retailing below $500.

OTOH, the people buying the cheaper bikes may be the ones more likely to do
something stupid, requiring replacement of the hanger in the first place.
The hangers are pretty inexpensive, see:
"http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/hangers/"

In the olden days, the derailleur hanger was a separate piece, until the
manufacturers figured that they may as well just make it a welded part of
the frame, and save money, and maybe a little weight. This all worked out
pretty well with steel frames, if the hanger got a little bent you could
bend it back, and worst case you could weld on a new one. Aluminum will
break more easily, rather than bend, especially a thinner part such as a
hanger. You can't easily weld aluminum, after the fact, since it destroys
the heat treatment, unless you heat treat the entire frame again (and then
paint it again). So the replaceable hanger is a good solution.

> Anyway, it's a genuine question, if unlikely to receive an accurate
> answer here.

Since when has the lack of accuracy been a problem for the individual that
posted the question?! One of my favorite Usenet polls was in an automotive
newsgroup, where someone asked everyone who had had a certain failure to
post that fact. After a few weeks, the original poster proclaimed that out
of two million vehicles, only three had had the failure in question. I often
wonder if the people that do polls like this actually believe that they will
gain any useful information, or if they are just doing it so they can
"prove" that they are right.

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> "Marvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> <snip>
>
> So around how many hanger replacements do you do in a month?

Replacements of actual broken ones? Probably about two or three per
month, most from teenagers jumping off things they really shouldn't.
In our shop, that's on a par with new headsets or worn-through rims,
but we're in a somewhat atypical city for bike usage.

Bent ones are a more common issue (once per week at least) but our
judgement is that they can be straightened at least once without any
ill effect (yes the replaceable hangers are aluminium too). For all
that I'm sure that's about to provoke a storm of opinion, we've yet to
have one come back having snapped after we straighten it.

Usually the hanger damage falls into one of two groups: occasional
accident from an otherwise relatively careful rider, or jump damage
from a dirt jumper. It's rare for one to "just snap" from maximal
load, and it's rare for the occasional prang to cause one to snap at
all. This leads me to suspect that there is some fatigue going on, but
it would take either ludicrous loads or ludicrous mileage to coax a
break out of one.

Marvin wrote:

> Usually the hanger damage falls into one of two groups: occasional
> accident from an otherwise relatively careful rider, or jump damage
> from a dirt jumper. It's rare for one to "just snap" from maximal
> load, and it's rare for the occasional prang to cause one to snap at
> all. This leads me to suspect that there is some fatigue going on, but
> it would take either ludicrous loads or ludicrous mileage to coax a
> break out of one.

From a casual observer's POV, the only one I've seen that needed to be
replaced was damaged during transit in a bike box. Packed carefully but
handled without TLC by the airlines.
--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

"Marvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bent ones are a more common issue (once per week at least) but our
> judgement is that they can be straightened at least once without any
> ill effect (yes the replaceable hangers are aluminium too). For all
> that I'm sure that's about to provoke a storm of opinion, we've yet to
> have one come back having snapped after we straighten it.

I work a lot with aluminum, and it can tolerate bending, once, as long as
it's not an excessive amount. When I use aluminum flat bar, and I want to
shorten it, I just put it into a vise, bend it back and forth twice, to
about a 45 degree angle, and it breaks off, but it doesn't break on the
first bend (though of course it has been weakened considerably).

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:28:30 CST, "Marvin" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:33:58 CST, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >If that's true, now that the Tour de France (and all other races)

>are
>> >composed purely of aluminum and carbon bikes, what is the rate of
>> >failures there? After all, these are bikes that are ridden more in a
>> >month than most bicycles get ridden in their entire lifetime.

>> And in many cases, are then discarded. These are *racing* bikes.
>> They aren't intended to be racing 2 years from now because they'll be
>> 2 years out of date at that point.

>I've got a fairly convincing counterexample to that, and you'll hate
>it, because it's composed entirely of fashion victims :)
>
>Seriously, there are an awful lot of riders who buy a bike "because
>it's exactly what Lance rides". Somehow I can't imagine they throw
>their bikes away every season, so either they keep riding them or
>someone else does secondhand.

A good many of them seem to get little or no significant accumulated
mileage, and neither get replaced nor sold off very soon. (There are
exceptions; plenty of Trek madones show up on eBay either as frames or
complete bikes with very few limes on them. Not all of the sales are
genuine, of course...) I've known a few people who jsut *had* to have
'the very best", including one person who still has the bike "just
like Greg Lemond's" that he bought back then, and has put perhaps 500
miles on to date. (Today, he weighs about 75 lbs more than he did
when he bought the bike, and says that he needs to lose some weight
before he goes *back* to riding. I scoff; he never rode much in the
first place.) Yes, a goodly number of such bikes *do* get ridden hard
and often, but the status-driven buyer whose image is the most
important thing will buy the status-symbol bike just because of what
it is...and may not get on it more than once every few months.
Eventually, they tend to be a source for really nice older hardware
for the rest of us at a bargain price, often when the ex sells off the
assets cheap. Sometimes, the ex *doesn't* sell it cheap, though...

>My dad is currently riding the same
>(make of) frame Lance won his second tour on, and I'm sure there are
>many more like him.

Make, but is it the identical version? Production vs race-built can
be identical design but not identical execution, and if it's the
production version, I'd bet that it's *better* from a durability
standpoint.

>None of them are coming back with complaints, and
>believe me if I'd dropped several thousand on a new bike I'd be
>complaining if it broke any time soon.

With the exception of certain carbon frames, production bikes "like" a
given race version can have variances from the ones that were actually
used in competition, if for no other reason than the fact that
competition bikes don't have to be production units. In the case of
the current Trek carbon frames, it's my understanding that they may
very well be identical, though, since it's prohibitively expensive to
come up with a new design that you *won't* be putting into actual
production intact and unchanged. For any rule outside physics, an
exception can usually be found, and the cost of OCLV seems to have put
the Trek folks into the enviable position of *really* selling bikes
that are "just like" the winners. This still does not establish that
they've got the long-term material stability to be as durable as steel
or aluminum, but it does predict that while the material holds out,
they're likely to be damn good, and if the theories about their
durability are accurate, then their principle longevity threat is
owners who might expose them to destructive contaminants. (The same
is also true for metal frames, of course, such as salt spray, but the
difference is that while most people will readily recognize the
antagonists that will attack a steel or aluminum unit, the hazards for
carbon/epoxy materials are less obvious.)

>> And do you really think they don't also have multiple backup bikes,
>> techs to check them each day, and spares for everything that might
>> wear or fail?

>The Cervelo guys were insisting in a cyclingnews interview that the CSC
>riders rode the same bike for all the flat stages (including crashes,
>which CSC seemed rather prone to in last year's tour). Reading various
>mechanic's diaries, they (claim to) replace a lot less stuff than you'd
>imagine. Even after Roubaix they won't be throwing any frames away.
>Chains yes, tubs by the handful, frames no.

The frames may be the strong part of the unit, then. Of course, if
they're engineering a metal structure to be able to absorb the
overloads that *might* be present in the TdF, and if (as posited
above) the goal is a bike that has zero chance of a problem in the
race, I guess they very well might be making it strong enough to hold
up in everyday usage quite well. For all of that, though, durability
of the carbon matrix is still (at this point) not established as being
comparable to steel. In another 40 years, it may be...and something
else will very likely have replaced it by then. Maybe several times.

(As for the reported lack of unit swaps, one should also not discount
the possibility that the teams have a PR person watching what goes
into those diaries; if you had to replace a frame for a bike for your
team, would you admit that it had been done? Although I guess there
may be a rules issue involved; how often are the bikes checked for
rules compliance? Would such a swap, undisclosed, be a liability? If
so, then they'd have to engineer for a greater safety margin.)

>>... Those were tissue-thin steel frames, not intended to be any
>> more durable than the
>> beer-can aluminum ones that replaced them. As with the new ones, a
>> bike for a high-end comepetitive TdF team hasn't been built for a
>> 75000km life expectancy in a very long time. There's no reason to do
>> so; it's going to be retired at the end of the season, or maybe even
>> at the end of the race. It's been a long time since *that* wasn't
>> true.

>Sticking with the same team, the Motorola team used to sell their
>season's bikes on at the end of every year. I never heard tales of
>people complaining about how their Lance mobile broke soon after being
>bought, and I rather doubt Merckx (the Motorola sponsor at the time)
>would have let anything with his name and the Motorola livery be ridden
>if it was likely to break. The potential PR disaster just doesn't bear
>thinking about.

I have to wonder how many of those retired racers went into the
equivalent of a trophy case after a certain number of outings. If I
had the money to buy such a bike, it's likely that I'd ride something
else, so that the investment in the collectible unit would not be at
risk. I know this sort of thing has happened with race cars in the
past; one of the old Gulf Porsches of my acquaintance spent a *lot* of
years as a treasured showpiece, trotted out for the occasional token
run around a track somewhere, before being finally retired formally to
a museam. The owner had other cars that he actually *raced*. "The
bike that was ridden in $RACE_X by $RIDER_Y" would be a similar trophy
to a lot of buyers. I doubt that the sellers thought they had
anything to worry about, and I'm sure they also said "If you have any
problems with it, call us."
--

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

> (There are
>exceptions; plenty of Trek madones show up on eBay either as frames or
>complete bikes with very few limes on them.

Well I would hope so - I suspect the citric acid would play hell on
the carbon fiber...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com