Dangerous Drivers Idea

Anthony

Guest
I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before, however I
thought I would post it to see the feedback.

Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just hate Cyclists, and
always scare them, give them a near miss at high speed, or throw objects at
them.
I know many drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say, the day
they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road, otherwise, I will run them
into the gutter.

I live in Brisbane, and have seen many near misses, and also we know about
recent Hit and runs involving Cyclists, and a few ending in a Fatality.

Ok you can call the Police and give them a rego and time, and thats as far
as it goes I think.

But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and Bicycle
Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers
Database.
We would then report any dangerous act to them, with Time Place and Rego,
and incident, and they would log it in the database.
When they get a few of the same drivers, which they will, because these
drivers will always treat cyclists the same I am sure.
Then they would pass it on to Police, who would hopefully pay that driver a
visit with the evidence, and give him a stern warning about his dangerous
antics.

I am sure this alone would stop or scare most dangerous drivers into
thinking twice about trying to run down a cyclist in future, because of our
database he will be tracked down.

I think its worth a try, it might save one of us from serious injury, or
worse still Death.

Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the message around, that
Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us Cyclists deserve a fair go.

What do you think ?

Anthony

Great idea, lets do it.
"Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before, however I
> thought I would post it to see the feedback.
>
> Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just hate Cyclists,

and
> always scare them, give them a near miss at high speed, or throw objects

at
> them.
> I know many drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say, the

day
> they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road, otherwise, I will run

them
> into the gutter.
>
> I live in Brisbane, and have seen many near misses, and also we know about
> recent Hit and runs involving Cyclists, and a few ending in a Fatality.
>
> Ok you can call the Police and give them a rego and time, and thats as far
> as it goes I think.
>
> But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and

Bicycle
> Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers
> Database.
> We would then report any dangerous act to them, with Time Place and Rego,
> and incident, and they would log it in the database.
> When they get a few of the same drivers, which they will, because these
> drivers will always treat cyclists the same I am sure.
> Then they would pass it on to Police, who would hopefully pay that driver

> visit with the evidence, and give him a stern warning about his dangerous
> antics.
>
> I am sure this alone would stop or scare most dangerous drivers into
> thinking twice about trying to run down a cyclist in future, because of

our
> database he will be tracked down.
>
> I think its worth a try, it might save one of us from serious injury, or
> worse still Death.
>
> Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the message around,

that
> Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us Cyclists deserve a fair go.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Anthony

This morning JJJ had a joke about hitting Cyclists, saying they should be
worth more than hitting a granny.
Well done JJJ, you lost me as a listener.

I think this is a good idea if the Police would do their part.

Anthony said:
I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before,
however I thought I would post it to see the feedback.

But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and
Bicycle Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a
Dangerous Drivers Database.

It has been discussed before, sort of..
I remember a thread 6 months ago (maybe) with the idea of creating
a website with rego numbers of stupid drivers on it.

I just looked it up. It was almost 1 year ago (27th Aug, rather than 17th)
and was in a thread called "psychos":

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=ZRz3b.70199%24bo1.30090%40news-server.bigpond.net.au&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dwebsite%2Bdrivers%2Bgroup%253Aaus.bicycle

OR:

http://tinyurl.com/3ugof

hippy

Using a reputable organisations such as BQld or BV is a good start in terms of providing it with validity and respect, as would be finding a friendly bobby somewhere up the food-chain in the Police to make it work and treat it appropriately...

I think it could work - the hard thing about it is (a) will it actually change driver behaviour if it only ever constitutes a 'warning', (b) do we have enough solidarity and information sharing across the cyclist population to make sure that most people knew about it, and (c) would this inevitably lead to motorists responding with "well, then we want to make sure bikes are registered so we can report them when they blow through red lights, etc. etc."...

I don't know the answers to those questions - but I can see them as issues. Nothing that couldn't be worked around if a few good motivated people in the right places were behind it.

eddiec said:
(c) would this inevitably lead to motorists responding with "well, then we want to make sure bikes are registered so we can report them when they blow through red lights, etc. etc."

which I don't get, want to IDENTIFY so they demand registration - not the same thing.
And bike frames have diversified since they had uniform number plates.
A related issue - calls for front number plates on motorcycles.

Ben said:
This morning JJJ had a joke about hitting Cyclists, saying they should be
worth more than hitting a granny.
Well done JJJ, you lost me as a listener.

>[/color]

I heard this also - my understanding was that it started as an ironic rant from Adam Spencer (who is a keen cycling advocate) and Will Anderson (whose sense of humour is that of a 6 yr old max) took it from there..

Anthony said:
[...]

Not sure what the rules are in Oz, but where I come from that would be highly illegal. You need a permit to regiester people. What is the story here? I have only been out a couple of times here in Melbourne, and have not gotten any serious agro against me. Just one cabbie that started shouting at me for some reason. He got the bird from me. :)

Anthony> Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just
Anthony> hate Cyclists, and always scare them, give them a near miss
Anthony> at high speed, or throw objects at them. I know many
Anthony> drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say,
Anthony> the day they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road,
Anthony> otherwise, I will run them into the gutter.

Actually in over a year's cycling I've found that motorists generally
are very good. I've had two *incidents* both of which were bus drivers.
Maybe it's just the way I ride, or maybe Melbourne motorists are more
tolerant.

Anthony> But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle
Anthony> Queensland and Bicycle Victoria ect ect, who have some
Anthony> power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers Database. We would
Anthony> then report any dangerous act to them, with Time Place and
Anthony> Rego, and incident, and they would log it in the database.

I think that's a terrible idea. That's nothing more than ``he said she
said'', where is your proof?

Anthony> When they get a few of the same drivers, which they will,
Anthony> because these drivers will always treat cyclists the same I
Anthony> am sure.

Or an individual out to cause another individual grief. The same sort
of thing has been tried in other circles and failed for that reason.
With no proof such a scheme is too open to abuse to be considered.

Anthony> I am sure this alone would stop or scare most dangerous
Anthony> drivers into thinking twice about trying to run down a
Anthony> cyclist in future, because of our database he will be
Anthony> tracked down.

Or it could have the opposite effect and turn many drivers against
cyclists. After all, what's their recourse when a cyclist runs a red
causing them to deviate from their course?

Anthony> I think its worth a try, it might save one of us from
Anthony> serious injury, or worse still Death.

I doubt it. If anything it will cause more friction between cyclists
and motorists, the last thing we need.

Anthony> Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the
Anthony> message around, that Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us
Anthony> Cyclists deserve a fair go.

The best thing cyclists can do to get a fair go is to obey the bloody
law. That means not cycling through red lights etc etc. It's that more
than anything that goes against us.
--
Regards
Euan

Anthony wrote:
> I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before, however I
> thought I would post it to see the feedback.
>
> Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just hate Cyclists, and
> always scare them, give them a near miss at high speed, or throw objects at
> them.
> I know many drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say, the day
> they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road, otherwise, I will run them
> into the gutter.

You should move somewhere else then. I wouldn't live in a place where
there were so many lunatics. Seriously, if it's that bad then you should
live somewhere else for your own safety.

How many kms do you do? I hardly ever come into contact with malicious
drivers that are a danger to me. There are plenty of morons not paying
attention but I see very few drivers like you describe.

> I live in Brisbane, and have seen many near misses, and also we know about
> recent Hit and runs involving Cyclists, and a few ending in a Fatality.
>
> Ok you can call the Police and give them a rego and time, and thats as far
> as it goes I think.
>
> But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and Bicycle
> Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers
> Database.
> We would then report any dangerous act to them, with Time Place and Rego,
> and incident, and they would log it in the database.

Where do you draw the line?

How about a database of cyclists who run red lights and ride on the
footpath?

And people who throw rubbish on the ground or jay walk?

> When they get a few of the same drivers, which they will, because these
> drivers will always treat cyclists the same I am sure.

If that's so, putting them on a database isn't going to change their
behaviour.

> Then they would pass it on to Police, who would hopefully pay that driver a
> visit with the evidence, and give him a stern warning about his dangerous
> antics.
>
> I am sure this alone would stop or scare most dangerous drivers into
> thinking twice about trying to run down a cyclist in future, because of our
> database he will be tracked down.
>
> I think its worth a try, it might save one of us from serious injury, or
> worse still Death.

I understand your motive. Maybe I'm just cynical, but there will always
be ignorant people who don't give a **** and some of them will be
dangerous. An infinite number of databases and reports and laws will not
stop some people from being ignorant morons.

> Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the message around, that
> Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us Cyclists deserve a fair go.

You reckon? I reckon most people don't even consider that cyclists
actually exist. Cyclists complaining about their lot in life won't
even rate a mention.

After re-reading my post, I have concluded that I am indeed cynical :)

--
Nick

"Claes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> Not sure what the rules are in Oz, but where I come from that would be
> highly illegal. You need a permit to regiester people. What is the
> story here? I have only been out a couple of times here in Melbourne,
> and have not gotten any serious agro against me. Just one cabbie that
> started shouting at me for some reason. He got the bird from me. :)

We ride on the *left* in this country.

HTH

--

A: Top-posters.

Ben wrote:

> This morning JJJ had a joke about hitting Cyclists, saying they should be
> worth more than hitting a granny.
> Well done JJJ, you lost me as a listener.

Umm, make sure you phone/write a complaint.

Radio or TV?

Anthony wrote:

....snip.....

> But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and Bicycle
> Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers
> Database.

ROFPMP. You must be new.
BV, BNSW etc would never do anything like this.
The career bicycle bureacrats that run these organisations would never
do anything to rock the boat. Why do you think Critical Mass came about?

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:19:51 +1000, [email protected] wrote:

> Actually in over a year's cycling I've found that motorists generally
> are very good. I've had two *incidents* both of which were bus drivers.
> Maybe it's just the way I ride, or maybe Melbourne motorists are more
> tolerant.

Problems are very rare here in Adelaide, too. In fact, most drivers
are very careful to leave me enough room, or wait if that's not possible,
and I always signal my appreciation when they wait.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

"Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before, however I
> thought I would post it to see the feedback.
>
> Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just hate Cyclists,
> and
> always scare them, give them a near miss at high speed, or throw objects
> at
> them.
> I know many drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say, the
> day
> they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road, otherwise, I will run
> them
> into the gutter.
>
> I live in Brisbane, and have seen many near misses, and also we know about
> recent Hit and runs involving Cyclists, and a few ending in a Fatality.
>
> Ok you can call the Police and give them a rego and time, and thats as far
> as it goes I think.
>
> But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and
> Bicycle
> Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers
> Database.
> We would then report any dangerous act to them, with Time Place and Rego,
> and incident, and they would log it in the database.
> When they get a few of the same drivers, which they will, because these
> drivers will always treat cyclists the same I am sure.
> Then they would pass it on to Police, who would hopefully pay that driver
> visit with the evidence, and give him a stern warning about his dangerous
> antics.
>
> I am sure this alone would stop or scare most dangerous drivers into
> thinking twice about trying to run down a cyclist in future, because of
> our
> database he will be tracked down.
>
> I think its worth a try, it might save one of us from serious injury, or
> worse still Death.
>
> Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the message around,
> that
> Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us Cyclists deserve a fair go.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Anthony

How about we take down their plates, find a cop who is sympathetic to
cyclists to look up their address, and go to their houses and kick the ****
out of them? If I was running the country thats the way it would work. I
hate car drivers who are arseholes to cyclists.

Fraser

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Claes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> [...]
>
>> Not sure what the rules are in Oz, but where I come from that would be
>> highly illegal. You need a permit to regiester people. What is the
>> story here? I have only been out a couple of times here in Melbourne,
>> and have not gotten any serious agro against me. Just one cabbie that
>> started shouting at me for some reason. He got the bird from me. :)

> We ride on the *left* in this country.
>
> HTH

Maybe thats what we are doing wrong.

Fraser

NickZX6R wrote:

> Anthony wrote:
> > I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before, however I
> > thought I would post it to see the feedback.
> >
> > Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just hate Cyclists, and
> > always scare them, give them a near miss at high speed, or throw objects at
> > them.
> > I know many drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say, the day
> > they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road, otherwise, I will run them
> > into the gutter.

<snip>

> > Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the message around, that
> > Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us Cyclists deserve a fair go.
> >

> You reckon? I reckon most people don't even consider that cyclists
> actually exist. Cyclists complaining about their lot in life won't
> even rate a mention.

<snip>
> --
> Nick

I think the stupid people **** me off the most...for example, I don't
LIKE blocking the traffic, but if they're going to attempt to overtake
me with about 2 cm of space then they can %*#? themselves (kiss
themselves) and I will ride way out where they can't "accidentally" hit
me. That way, if I die, at least my loved ones can get a nice payout.

How's this for an idea.

When you sign up with your local BUG, you get given a shotgun. When
someone tries to kill you, return the favour.

Tam, who nearly got killed about 3 times out on the bike yesterday.

Tamyka Bell said:
I think the stupid people **** me off the most...for example, I don't
LIKE blocking the traffic, but if they're going to attempt to overtake
me with about 2 cm of space then they can %*#? themselves (kiss
themselves) and I will ride way out where they can't "accidentally" hit
me. That way, if I die, at least my loved ones can get a nice payout.

Stupid is bad, but if I may draw the distinction, I detest arrogant drivers the most - You know the sort, whose time and inconvenience is worth so much that they're willing to risk your life to save themselves 7.3 seconds or a slight lift of the foot off the accelerator.

There's one spot that is notorious for it on my nightly commute - Coming out of bridge rd, across the bridge and up high st sth where due to a tram stop the road narrows severely - so much so that i'm almost in the middle of the lane if riding safely - and still people try and force their way through... (Usually to just be passed by me 1km further on! I love that bit.. :D )

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When you sign up with your local BUG, you get given a shotgun. When
> someone tries to kill you, return the favour.
>
> Tam, who nearly got killed about 3 times out on the bike yesterday.

Sounds like a plan.

Fraser

Tamyka Bell said:
Tam, who nearly got killed about 3 times out on the bike yesterday.

I thought a car was making an illegal U-turn so I turned right in front of them tonight.