Dangerous drivers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    reporting a dangerous driver? Will they disbelieve the rants of a cyclist who has just had the
    wits scared out of them / nearly been killed ? Are they obliged to find that driver - speak to
    them, breathalyse them and generally make them think twice about the respect they need to give
    to cyclists?

    Your thoughts please

    "Before the introduction of refined sugar, the pancreas gland was not called upon to secrete as
    much insulin in an entire lifetime as it is called upon to secrete in nearly every day of
    post-infant life"

    Tags:

  2. Gordon Bp

    Gordon Bp Guest

    Andrew scribed after much navel searching:
    > Are they obliged to find that driver - speak to them, breathalyse them and generally make them
    > think twice about the respect they need to give to cyclists?

    AFAIK only if you have independent witnesses and a specific offence against the RTA has been
    committed.

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:29:49 -0000, "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    >reporting a dangerous driver?

    Depends - if really bad, especially an LGV or PCV, I would (have). If any company name or other
    identifying marks, and not sufficient for plod, consider writing to the directors (but only if you
    are sure said twat won't come back and do a proper job next time). Otherwise? Sadly probably not.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:29:49 +0000, Andrew wrote:

    > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > reporting a dangerous driver?

    Yes.

    > Will they disbelieve the rants of a cyclist who has just had the wits scared out of them / nearly
    > been killed ?

    No.

    > Are they obliged to find that driver - speak to them, breathalyse them and generally make them
    > think twice about the respect they need to give to cyclists?

    Hmmm, maybe.

    I've been badly cut up by a taxi driver and ridden, still shaking, round to the police station to
    report the incident. The constable was very sympathetic and was very happy to have a report that
    included the registration of the taxi, the antics of the taxi drivers in the High Street of
    Newmarket being a serious concern to the police. He asked if I would like a formal report of the
    followup, but I declined saying that just to "have a word" about other road users would satisfy me.
    He said that he intended to go to the office of the taxi company and make them call in the driver
    concerned and read the riot act. This is apparently bad news for the driver, more than one of these
    and they are generally looking for a new job.

    Haven't been carved by a Noomarket taxi driver since, but at the same time maybe I've been even more
    determined about protecting _my_ road space.....

    Mike

  5. Scott Leckey

    Scott Leckey Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > reporting a dangerous driver?

    I am a police officer who's received plenty of such calls. It isn't worth the effort. The simple
    reason? It's your word against his, and if he's the kind of clown who does the kind of things that
    make people call the police about him, the mere sight of an overworked bobby isn't going to make him
    break down in remorse. Picture the scene. There won't be an officer unoccupied, available and poised
    to intercept the suspect. After a PNC check (you *did* get the correct index number, didn't you?)
    the lorry firm is traced to Slough/ Polperro/ Auchtermuchty. A fax is sent to the local force for an
    officer to add your unsubstantiated allegation to his workload. (Imagine how high on his list of
    priorities that'll be: Arrest drug dealer on warrant/ Visit repeat burglary victim/ Arrest
    wife-beater/ Investigate racist attack on shopkeeper/ Assuage the dudgeon of a cyclist.) PC arranges
    to see HGV driver when their shifts coincide.

    The PC says, "You cut up a cyclist at a roundabout in Newmarket/ Penzance/Aberfeldy yesterday/
    last week."

    Truck driver replies, "No I didn't."

    Bobby (sheepishly shifting from foot to foot),"Errr, OK then...."

    I appreciate that this isn't what cyclists want to hear. I'm a keen rider myself. Unfortunately, we
    have to deal with reality, and it's difficult, expensive, time-consuming and usually pointless to
    prosecute "Might-have-beens."

    I shall now retreat to my bunker and await the howls.

    Safe cycling,

    Scott Leckey

  6. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Andrew, in news:[email protected] scribbled ;

    > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > reporting a dangerous driver? Will they disbelieve the rants of a cyclist who has just had the
    > wits scared out of them / nearly been killed ? Are they obliged to find that driver - speak to
    > them, breathalyse them and generally make them think twice about the respect they need to give to
    > cyclists?
    >
    > Your thoughts please

    Frankly, if it's a near-miss, no matter how close, then nothing really happened. You may be scared
    witless, but that's hardly worth involving the police is it ?

    It may be worth, if you have the registration number, asking DVLA, where they can release details
    of the registered owner "To anyone who can demonstrate reasonable cause, including insurance
    companies, finance houses and the public" . . I don't know what would constitute 'reasonable cause'
    though .. ;)

    http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/relinfo.htm

    Once you have the details and confirm who the driver is, then maybe a quiet word ... ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1330 wu in 9275 hours

  7. "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > reporting a dangerous driver? Will they disbelieve the rants of a cyclist who has just had the
    > wits scared out of them / nearly been killed ? Are they obliged to find that driver - speak to
    > them, breathalyse them and generally make them think twice about the respect they need to give to
    > cyclists?
    >
    > Your thoughts please

    Not strictly relevant perhaps, but a few years ago I was being driven (ok, ok) along a motorway by a
    friend at a sensible, legal speed and someone flew down the fast lane in something large and fast (I
    don't know more than that - they all look alike to me ;-). My friend, despite not being personally
    affected in any way by this asked me to write down the registration, pulled in at the next service
    station and called the police to report it.

    Perhaps we'd all be better off if everyone reported every piece of poor/dangerous driving. Do such
    reports have more impact if they're by someone not directly involved?

    I note with interest that the last drink-driving campaign was encouraging people to shop people for
    that offense.

    - Richard

  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Andrew <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > reporting a dangerous driver?

    No, they refuse to do anything unless you appear at the station. Been there done that had the
    argument that a victim of murder doesn't need to so why should one of attempted murder do so! :-(

    > Will they disbelieve the rants of a cyclist who has just had the wits scared out of them / nearly
    > been killed ?

    Yes.

    > Are they obliged to find that driver - speak to them, breathalyse them and generally make them
    > think twice about the respect they need to give to cyclists?

    Not only are they not obliged to do the above they don't even record the report unless you turn up.
    However when I reported ( from the car) a taxi driver that swerved around a lollipop lady that went
    and turned him over.

    --
    Marc T Shirts, Sweatshirts, polo shirts, banners, signs,decals, stickers etc for clubs and
    associations of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  9. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Scott Leckey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > > reporting a dangerous driver?
    >
    > I am a police officer who's received plenty of such calls. It isn't worth the effort. The simple
    > reason? It's your word against his, and if he's the kind of clown who does the kind of things that
    > make people call the police about him, the mere sight of an overworked bobby isn't going to make
    > him break down in remorse. Picture the scene. There won't be an officer unoccupied, available and
    > poised to intercept the suspect. After a PNC
    check
    > (you *did* get the correct index number, didn't you?) the lorry firm is traced to Slough/
    > Polperro/ Auchtermuchty. A fax is sent to the local
    force
    > for an officer to add your unsubstantiated allegation to his workload. (Imagine how high on his
    > list of priorities that'll be: Arrest drug dealer on warrant/ Visit repeat burglary victim/ Arrest
    > wife-beater/ Investigate racist attack on shopkeeper/ Assuage the dudgeon of a cyclist.) PC
    arranges
    > to see HGV driver when their shifts coincide.
    >
    > The PC says, "You cut up a cyclist at a roundabout in Newmarket/ Penzance/Aberfeldy yesterday/
    > last week."
    >
    > Truck driver replies, "No I didn't."
    >
    > Bobby (sheepishly shifting from foot to foot),"Errr, OK then...."
    >
    > I appreciate that this isn't what cyclists want to hear. I'm a keen rider myself. Unfortunately,
    > we have to deal with reality, and it's difficult, expensive, time-consuming and usually pointless
    > to prosecute "Might-have-beens."
    >
    > I shall now retreat to my bunker and await the howls.

    I'm no fan of the police but this is obvious common sense, even if the driver killed you he would
    probably only get 6 points and £200 quid fine :eek:(

    Swearing at them, kicking doors, scratching paint doesn't really help either, just puts my blood
    pressure up.

    Assertive/Defensive riding seems to be best, very few drivers will kill you on purpose.

    Expect the very least from them and then you won't be disappointed.

  10. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:29:49 -0000, "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    >>reporting a dangerous driver?
    >

    > Depends - if really bad, especially an LGV or PCV, I would (have). If any company name or other
    > identifying marks, and not sufficient for plod, consider writing to the directors (but only if you
    > are sure said twat won't come back and do a proper job next time). Otherwise? Sadly probably not.

    I have, with HGV and PSV (why is it L and C now?), reported drivers to their companies. With one HGV
    driving under the Hanson flag they seemed to take it very seriously with me getting apologies from
    someone very high up at Hanson as well as the contract company who actually employed the driver (who
    was himself a contracter!) I got an indirect response from the driver who, surprise, surprise, said
    he didn't see me. That was quite clear from the closeness with which he overtook me!

    Colin

  11. "Richard Waters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > > reporting a dangerous driver? Will they disbelieve the rants of a cyclist who has just had the
    > > wits scared out of them / nearly been killed ? Are they obliged to find that driver - speak to
    > > them, breathalyse them and generally make them think twice about the respect they need to give
    > > to cyclists?
    > >
    > > Your thoughts please
    >
    > Not strictly relevant perhaps, but a few years ago I was being driven (ok, ok) along a motorway by
    > a friend at a sensible, legal speed and someone flew down the fast lane in something large and
    > fast (I don't know more than that - they all look alike to me ;-). My friend, despite not being
    > personally affected in any way by this asked me to write down the registration, pulled in at the
    > next service station and called the police to report it.

    It may be worth thinking of calling Crimestoppers (0800 555 111, IIRC), instead. They were the
    organisation who were advertising themselves as the people to call when you'd just seen someone
    drive off from the pub after several pints, or whatever. I don't quite understand their official
    role, but they certainly do liase with the police when necessary. I guess they'd at least keep a
    report on record, but it wouldn't add to the police workload without them judging it to be
    necessary.

    Ambrose

  12. "Scott Leckey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > > reporting a dangerous driver?
    >
    > I am a police officer who's received plenty of such calls. It isn't worth the effort. The simple
    > reason? It's your word against his, and if he's the kind of clown who does the kind of things that
    > make people call the police about him, the mere sight of an overworked bobby isn't going to make
    > him break down in remorse. Picture the scene.

    But it may well be the first time the driver's been told their driving's unnacceptable, and that
    could very likely cause some kind of change of attitude. I take your point, though.

    On another track, does anyone have good reports of what happens when 'How's my driving?' numbers
    are called?

    Ambrose

  13. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:07:20 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:29:49 -0000, "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    >>reporting a dangerous driver?
    >
    > Depends - if really bad, especially an LGV or PCV, I would (have). If any company name or other
    > identifying marks, and not sufficient for plod, consider writing to the directors (but only if you
    > are sure said twat won't come back and do a proper job next time).

    Strange how often it seems to be the same car... Perhaps with shared commutes it's not all that
    surprising.

    > Otherwise? Sadly probably not.
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  14. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Thanks all for your input.

    To add to this discussion - would it make a difference if, when calling the police, suspicions of
    drink/drug impaired driving were mooted as the possible reasons for the drivers incompetence ?

  15. I wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Richard Waters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > When cut up by a crazy driver on the road, is it worth the effort to stop and call the police
    > > > reporting a dangerous driver? Will they disbelieve the rants of a cyclist who has just had the
    > > > wits scared out of them / nearly been killed ? Are they obliged to find that driver - speak to
    > > > them, breathalyse them and generally make them think twice about the respect they need to give
    > > > to cyclists?
    > > >
    > > > Your thoughts please
    > >
    > > Not strictly relevant perhaps, but a few years ago I was being driven (ok, ok) along a motorway
    > > by a friend at a sensible, legal speed and someone flew down the fast lane in something large
    > > and fast (I don't know more than that - they all look alike to me ;-). My friend, despite not
    > > being personally affected in any way by this asked me to write down the registration, pulled in
    > > at the next service station and called the police to report it.
    >
    > It may be worth thinking of calling Crimestoppers (0800 555 111, IIRC), instead. They were the
    > organisation who were advertising themselves as the people to call when you'd just seen someone
    > drive off from the pub after several pints, or whatever. I don't quite understand their official
    > role, but they certainly do liase with the police when necessary. I guess they'd at least keep a
    > report on record, but it wouldn't add to the police
    workload
    > without them judging it to be necessary.
    >
    > Ambrose

    Yes, what they do have to say about motor crime is

    (from http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/campaigns.asp)

    SMART Stop Motorcrime And Ring Today. Almost everyone has had their car broken into or stolen, but
    since 1997 over 9,334 calls to Crimestoppers has led to over 3,629 arrests for these offences. SMART
    provides an anonymous means for the 2,700 daily car victims to call with any information.

    So I shouldn't have thought dangerous driving was too trivial an offence to bother them
    with, anyway.

    Ambrose

  16. On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:35:08 +0000, Ambrose Nankivell did issue forth:

    > On another track, does anyone have good reports of what happens when 'How's my driving?' numbers
    > are called?

    (after all, they've spent money on it) and I know of drivers in my company who have been hauled over
    the coals for their transgressions.

    --
    Huw Pritchard | Replace bounce with huw | to reply by mail | www.secretworldgovernment.org

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Kit Wolf wrote:

    > Strange how often it seems to be the same car... Perhaps with shared commutes it's not all that
    > surprising.

    Shared commutes? You mean you've seen a MDG with more than one person in it? Increduble!

    --
    Guy
    ===

  18. > Yes, what they do have to say about motor crime is

    > (from http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/campaigns.asp)
    >
    > SMART Stop Motorcrime And Ring Today. Almost everyone has had their car broken into or stolen, but
    > since 1997
    over
    > 9,334 calls to Crimestoppers has led to over 3,629 arrests for these offences. SMART provides an
    > anonymous means for the 2,700 daily car
    victims
    > to call with any information.
    >
    > So I shouldn't have thought dangerous driving was too trivial an offence
    > bother them with, anyway.

    Sorry, replying twice to my own post, but they did have the Christmas drink-drive campaign, too,
    which said

    http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/news2.asp?newsID=31

    We hope that this Crimestoppers Christmas campaign successfully removes persistently
    dangerous drivers off the roads and helps to deter others from committing similar offences
    throughout the year.

    So they are on the case of dangerous drivers, so it's probably worth giving them a call when there's
    someone to report.

  19. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    > Kit Wolf wrote:

    in a misguided attempt to be pithy but succeeding only in making no sense at all...

    > > Strange how often it seems to be the same car... Perhaps with shared commutes it's not all that
    > > surprising.
    >
    > Shared commutes? You mean you've seen a MDG with more than one person in it? Increduble!

    I used to ride to work at a hospital, and would commute to work at the same time as x00 other staff
    who would overtake me every day in their cars like clockwork. The general impression was that
    people's driving is fairly consistent from day to day (no great surprise there, perhaps). The same
    people pass too close; one particular nurse cut me up 2x on the same roundabout, probably unaware.
    And not having heard of vehicular cycling, I rode consistently in the gutter.

    KW

    > --
    > Guy
    > ===
    > I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    > about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    > wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
    >
    > http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

  20. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 19 Jan 2003 11:59:52 -0800, [email protected] (Kit Wolf) wrote:

    > The same people pass too close; one particular nurse cut me up 2x on the same roundabout, probably
    > unaware.

    I know /exactly/ what you mean - I can even rmember some of their registration numbers. Not people I
    work with, though, just eejits who go to work the same time I do.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.