Dangerous driving instructors

Sue White

Guest
Recently I've had several near-misses with driving school cars pulling
out too close in front of me. Of course it's impossible to tell whether
the learner was doing what the instructor told him, but the instructor's
supposed to be able to make sure they're safe to share the road with.
Most of these cowboys are sole traders so there's nobody to complain to.
So I decided next time I caught up with one at traffic lights, I'd tell
them off.

The other day an AA Driving School car pulled out on me at a roundabout,
much too close. The only occupant was a surly-looking middle aged male,
presumably the AA instructor.

He didn't like my (polite) advice, though he didn't actually say
anything. I hope I made his day.

--
Sue ]:(:)

Sue White wrote:
> Recently I've had several near-misses with driving school cars pulling
> out too close in front of me. Of course it's impossible to tell
> whether the learner was doing what the instructor told him, but the
> instructor's supposed to be able to make sure they're safe to share
> the road with.

I've never had a near-miss with a learner driver. That's because I give
them a hugely wide berth. The L plates should be warning enough. Don't be
silly enough to get anywhere near them. Them being in the wrong won't save
your life.

~PB

Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sue White wrote:
> > Recently I've had several near-misses with driving school cars pulling
> > out too close in front of me. Of course it's impossible to tell
> > whether the learner was doing what the instructor told him, but the
> > instructor's supposed to be able to make sure they're safe to share
> > the road with.

> I've never had a near-miss with a learner driver. That's because I give
> them a hugely wide berth. The L plates should be warning enough. Don't be
> silly enough to get anywhere near them. Them being in the wrong won't save
> your life.

That is indeed true. It does not make it any the less useful to discuss
the matter politely with the instructor, particularly of a
dual-controlled vehicle.

The worst I've had to deal with of late was unreasonably close
overtaking (more like 1.4 cm than 1.4m) by an AA Driving School vehicle.
As it was just after Christmas and my fuel tank was clogged up with
Christmas pudding and other stodge, I had no chance of catching up.

cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Sue White wrote:

> Recently I've had several near-misses with driving school cars pulling
> out too close in front of me. Of course it's impossible to tell whether
> the learner was doing what the instructor told him, but the instructor's
> supposed to be able to make sure they're safe to share the road with.
> Most of these cowboys are sole traders so there's nobody to complain to.
> So I decided next time I caught up with one at traffic lights, I'd tell
> them off.

I've noticed that some instructors drive too fast, and none too well (no
indicating/drifting between lanes), when they're alone in the car.

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sue White wrote:
> >
> > Recently I've had several near-misses with driving school cars pulling
> > out too close in front of me. Of course it's impossible to tell whether
> > the learner was doing what the instructor told him, but the instructor's
> > supposed to be able to make sure they're safe to share the road with.
> > Most of these cowboys are sole traders so there's nobody to complain to.
> > So I decided next time I caught up with one at traffic lights, I'd tell
> > them off.

> I've noticed that some instructors drive too fast, and none too well (no
> indicating/drifting between lanes), when they're alone in the car.

Those ones are clearly too daft to realise that their poor driving is a
poor advert for their services.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

"Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1ib0994.rwpbfwkasheyN%[email protected]...

> The worst I've had to deal with of late was unreasonably close
> overtaking (more like 1.4 cm than 1.4m) by an AA Driving School vehicle.
> As it was just after Christmas and my fuel tank was clogged up with
> Christmas pudding and other stodge, I had no chance of catching up.

You hadn't de-coked it with the turbo???

"Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1ib0aca.q6z7245y3nsmN%[email protected]...
> Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that some instructors drive too fast, and none too well (no
>> indicating/drifting between lanes), when they're alone in the car.

> Those ones are clearly too daft to realise that their poor driving is a
> poor advert for their services.

Only for those who have the road sense and skills to spot the difference

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sue White wrote:
>>
>> Recently I've had several near-misses with driving school cars pulling
>> out too close in front of me. Of course it's impossible to tell whether
>> the learner was doing what the instructor told him, but the instructor's
>> supposed to be able to make sure they're safe to share the road with.
>> Most of these cowboys are sole traders so there's nobody to complain to.
>> So I decided next time I caught up with one at traffic lights, I'd tell
>> them off.

> I've noticed that some instructors drive too fast, and none too well (no
> indicating/drifting between lanes), when they're alone in the car.

As I mentioned on this group about 4 years ago, an instructor once grabbed
his students steering wheel as I was overtaking and steered the car into my
path.

Then hung out the window shouting at me "trying to kill yourself on that
f*ck*ng thing?" I told him to watch the Tee junction he was approaching far
too quickly. Perhaps I shouldn't have.

John

When my son (7 years ago) took his driving test he was failed for "failing
to make progress". The way he tells it he was waiting to enter a
roundabout and gave way to someone who was just entering from the opposite
side and signalling (!) to turn right. I know the roundabout and it's not
enormous so I can understand his reticence. If his experience can be
relied on it seems that the examiners may be putting instructors in a
position where they have to teach their pupils to do some of the things
described here.

That said, I have had similar experiences of driving school cars being
driven questionably (with and without pupils) and I can't help wondering if
the colleges that one sees advertising for instructors are, in some way, to
blame.
news:[email protected]...

Sue White wrote:

> Recently I've had several near-misses with driving school cars pulling
> out too close in front of me. Of course it's impossible to tell whether
> the learner was doing what the instructor told him, but the instructor's
> supposed to be able to make sure they're safe to share the road with.
> Most of these cowboys are sole traders so there's nobody to complain to.
> So I decided next time I caught up with one at traffic lights, I'd tell
> them off.
>
> The other day an AA Driving School car pulled out on me at a roundabout,
> much too close. The only occupant was a surly-looking middle aged male,
> presumably the AA instructor.
>
> He didn't like my (polite) advice, though he didn't actually say
> anything. I hope I made his day.

I think the DVLA licence driving instructors, certainly some government
body regulates them. So you should be able to complain about a
particular drivings schools instructor

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Sue White wrote:
>>
>> Recently I've had several near-misses with driving school cars pulling
>> out too close in front of me. Of course it's impossible to tell
>> whether the learner was doing what the instructor told him, but the
>> instructor's supposed to be able to make sure they're safe to share
>> the road with.
>> Most of these cowboys are sole traders so there's nobody to complain to.
>> So I decided next time I caught up with one at traffic lights, I'd
>> tell them off.

> I've noticed that some instructors drive too fast, and none too well (no
> indicating/drifting between lanes), when they're alone in the car.

it's about the only time they have to write up the notes on the last
pupil ;-)