Dangerous overtaking by bus

Euan B Uk

Guest
Melbourne, Blackburn road I was overtaken by a bus who left me about 3
inches. To add insult to injury he pulled in to a bus stop about fifty
meters after overtaking me :-/

A little steamed, I informed him that he was required by law to give me at least a meter's
clearance. His response was that I should ride closer to the kerb, go figure.

I've got the reg of the bus, any point reporting him to the Police for dangerous driving?

--
Regards Euan

If it was on the Blackburn end of Blackburn road (ie. past Canterbury road), I am not at all surprised that happened to you. Whilst it is undoubtedly the bus drivers fault (and I am not for an instant blaming you here) I would definitely suggest you avoid that road. It is very narrow and on the times when I ride along there, I occasionally have close encounters. I would recommend riding on Springvale road where possible; it is wider, and whilst being busier, I find it much less scary to ride along. :)

As for legal action? I'm no solicitor, but I don't think that you have any legal reason to go to the police. If he didn't actually make contact with you, then I feel that there is little the police can do in a matter such as this. If they were expected to chase up every bad piece of driving, they'd be rushed off their feet.

[email protected] wrote: ...snip....

> I've got the reg of the bus, any point reporting him to the Police for dangerous driving?

Try the bus company first.

> Melbourne, Blackburn road I was overtaken by a bus who left me about 3 inches. To add insult to
> injury he pulled in to a bus stop about fifty meters after overtaking me :-/
>
> A little steamed, I informed him that he was required by law to give me at least a meter's
> clearance. His response was that I should ride closer to the kerb, go figure.
>
> I've got the reg of the bus, any point reporting him to the Police for dangerous driving?

On Tuesday night I had one of my closest calls with a truck. On Princes Hwy, heading towards Hallam,
the cabin of the truck was about 2ft away when it was level with me. As he passed me, the rest of
the trailer just got closer and closer... To make this more fun, there was a railing to my left, so
even though I was in the gutter, if he came any closer, there was nowhere to bail and nothing I
could do to stop myself getting squished. All I could do was flip him off. Trucks are usually really
cool to cyclists too...?? :-S

hippy

My experience with trucks in ACT has been good (touch the wood). Although they seem to people as road bullies, frankly they have always given me plenty of room.

One thing on the psychology note: I generally try not to push people's wrong buttons!! ;) I know for the fact that trucks loose their momentum fast in uphills, and their drivers hate that. If it comes down for a truckie to choose between being a gentleman (slowing down in an uphill road to give space to a bikie) and keeping the speed, I don't want to be in that bikie's shoes there and then. :)

Originally posted by Hippy
> Melbourne, Blackburn road I was overtaken by a bus who left me about 3 inches. To add insult to
> injury he pulled in to a bus stop about fifty meters after overtaking me :-/
>
> A little steamed, I informed him that he was required by law to give me at least a meter's
> clearance. His response was that I should ride closer to the kerb, go figure.
>
> I've got the reg of the bus, any point reporting him to the Police for dangerous driving?

On Tuesday night I had one of my closest calls with a truck. On Princes Hwy, heading towards Hallam,
the cabin of the truck was about 2ft away when it was level with me. As he passed me, the rest of
the trailer just got closer and closer... To make this more fun, there was a railing to my left, so
even though I was in the gutter, if he came any closer, there was nowhere to bail and nothing I
could do to stop myself getting squished. All I could do was flip him off. Trucks are usually really
cool to cyclists too...?? :-S

hippy

Euan:

People have varied levels of knowledge about motoring, and on top of that they have varied interpretations of the rules. In addition, we have people at wheels, on bikes or on feet who carry and express their personalities in public. If you are going to be bothered by other's wrong-doings, then you have to spend a valuable part of your useful life getting over other's wrong-doings.

Yeah, surely you can report the driver to the bus company. If there's decency in that company, they should have a system to deal with their neglegant drivers. But, say if you succeed, won't you come accross others that one way or other will ignore or violate your rights as a rider? My suggestion is to practice your riding where the risk of harm to you due to other's neglegance is minimal. That's my humble advice.

Cheers,
Amir.

Originally posted by Euan B Uk
Melbourne, Blackburn road I was overtaken by a bus who left me about 3
inches. To add insult to injury he pulled in to a bus stop about fifty
meters after overtaking me :-/

A little steamed, I informed him that he was required by law to give me at least a meter's
clearance. His response was that I should ride closer to the kerb, go figure.

I've got the reg of the bus, any point reporting him to the Police for dangerous driving?

--
Regards Euan

> I've got the reg of the bus, any point reporting him to the Police for dangerous driving?

I would.... not saying it'll get you anywhere - but I can guarentee you that not doing anything wont
get you anywhere....

not sure what your options are in civil law here - perhaps you could bring a civil case against the
bus driver... I'm told there are law firms that do this sort of "justice motivated" work.

I'd be interested to hear what the police have to say... I'm guessing (as I bet you are) that they
wont be terribly helpful.

fwiw I dont let busses pass me when I'm going down hoddle/punt - pretty easy to cruise most of
it at >40.

good luck. dim

"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One thing on the psychology note: I generally try not to push people's wrong buttons!! ;) I know
> for the fact that trucks loose their
momentum
> fast in uphills, and their drivers hate that. If it comes down for a truckie to choose between
> being a gentleman (slowing down in an uphill road to give space to a bikie) and keeping the speed,
> I don't want to
be
> in that bikie's shoes there and then. :)

I'm always* considerate of drivers and other road users. I don't like the thought of them wasting
MORE fuel waiting for me because I didn't move over a bit or something.

In this case though, there was no reason for the truckie to get so close. It was a 3 lane road and I
was already as far left as possible (until I moved into the gutter!). I was moving at 25-35kph at
the time. It was straight road - so he would've seen me many k's before actually getting near me
(unless he drove out from around a corner?). This incident just ****** me off because unlike 99% of
other truckies, this guy seemed to be aiming to scare me.

hippy
* Sometimes I'm caught unaware and sometimes if they are pricks I will NOT show any
consideration... karma :)

"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Euan B Uk wrote:

<snip>

> rider? My suggestion is to practice your riding where the risk of harm to you due to other's
> neglegance is minimal. That's my humble advice.

In your backyard perhaps? That is where its most minimal due to others negligence.

I'm with you bro. That small minority is what that spoils.

I was just trying to say that assertiveness, when it comes to sharing roads and bike paths, drains a lot of energy. Interestingly, one morning I was riding to work using a road, and out of the blue a small hatch passed so close honking and pointing to me that I'm not supposed to use the road while a path exists (well I gave him a gesture worthy of his, because specimens like him are the ones smashing beer bottles all over the paths). In the same afternoon, I was riding back on the path, and as I passed a pedestrian, I heard him yelling. Heading back, he was saying that I was not supposed to go fast on the track, and if I wanted to go fast, I would have to use the road!!! I come across quite a few people every week that are either bullies, neglegant, rude, wierd, etc. etc.. If I want to stop to settle with them, educate them or enlighten them, then I will need a temper of steel strength and days that have more than 24 hours!

Having said that, some pricks cry out to be whooped in the a$$. So I'll grant their wish if I can. ;) Maybe in the case Euan, he should take it further and teach that driver a lesson.

Cheers,
Amir.

Originally posted by Hippy
"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One thing on the psychology note: I generally try not to push people's wrong buttons!! ;) I know
> for the fact that trucks loose their
momentum
> fast in uphills, and their drivers hate that. If it comes down for a truckie to choose between
> being a gentleman (slowing down in an uphill road to give space to a bikie) and keeping the speed,
> I don't want to
be
> in that bikie's shoes there and then. :)

I'm always* considerate of drivers and other road users. I don't like the thought of them wasting
MORE fuel waiting for me because I didn't move over a bit or something.

In this case though, there was no reason for the truckie to get so close. It was a 3 lane road and I
was already as far left as possible (until I moved into the gutter!). I was moving at 25-35kph at
the time. It was straight road - so he would've seen me many k's before actually getting near me
(unless he drove out from around a corner?). This incident just ****** me off because unlike 99% of
other truckies, this guy seemed to be aiming to scare me.

hippy
* Sometimes I'm caught unaware and sometimes if they are pricks I will NOT show any
consideration... karma :)

Talk to me when you're done then!

Originally posted by John Doe
"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Euan B Uk wrote:

<snip>

> rider? My suggestion is to practice your riding where the risk of harm to you due to other's
> neglegance is minimal. That's my humble advice.

In your backyard perhaps? That is where its most minimal due to others negligence.

amirm> Euan:

amirm> People have varied levels of knowledge about motoring, and on top of that they have
amirm> varied interpretations of the rules. In addition, we have people at wheels, on bikes or
amirm> on feet who carry and express their personalities in public. If you are going to be
amirm> bothered by other's wrong- doings, then you have to spend a valuable part of your useful
amirm> life getting over other's wrong-doings.

Before we get off on the wrong idea, this is the first problem I've had with a bus driver in the
five odd months I've been cycling. Indeed I've found that five nines of motorists are very
considerate towards me as a bicycle rider.

amirm> Yeah, surely you can report the driver to the bus company. If there's decency in that
amirm> company, they should have a system to deal with their neglegant drivers. But, say if you
amirm> succeed, won't you come accross others that one way or other will ignore or violate your
amirm> rights as a rider? My suggestion is to practice your riding where the risk of harm to you
amirm> due to other's neglegance is minimal. That's my humble advice.

So we're to let the attitudes of others dictate where we can ride?

--
Regards Euan

amirm> I was just trying to say that assertiveness, when it comes to sharing roads and bike
amirm> paths, drains a lot of energy. Interestingly, one morning I was riding to work using a
amirm> road, and out of the blue a small hatch passed so close honking and pointing to me that
amirm> I'm not supposed to use the road while a path exists (well I gave him a gesture worthy of
amirm> his, because specimens like him are the ones smashing beer bottles all over the paths).

I find that a generous smile an a cheery wave works wonders with this particular subset of
motorists. They just don't know how to react to that :)

--
Cheers Euan

amirm> Yeah, surely you can report the driver to the bus company. If
> amirm> there's decency in that company, they should have a system to deal with their neglegant
> amirm> drivers. But, say if you succeed, won't you come accross others that one way or other
> amirm> will ignore or violate your rights as a rider? My suggestion is to practice your riding
> amirm> where the risk of harm to you due to other's neglegance is minimal. That's my humble
> amirm> advice.
>
> So we're to let the attitudes of others dictate where we can ride?
>

> --
> Regards Euan

A joke I am sure. I have been riding on public roads for 20 years. I have had occasionaly near
misses. I have been hit by cars. I am not going to let others dictate how I can ride. Typically I
find bus drivers and truck drivers to be usually very courteous.

Peter

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:22:42 +0000, euan_b_uk wrote:

> [...] I was overtaken by a bus who left me about 3 inches.

I had this problem when I first started commuting in the Sydney CBD. I was trying to keep left, and
I swear a bus passed me so close that the mirror passed over the top of my head - scared the shite
out of me.

Now I ride right smack in the middle of the lane. If you even give them a hint that they may have
room to pass, they will force their way through. So don't do it, hold the lane, and practise
catching bike couriers. The Sydney bicycle plan says the bus/taxi lanes *are* the bike paths, so I
figure there can be no arguments there.

No-one has ever complained, a lady bus driver even complimented me on my safety-vest, and how
visible I was. I wear it over my bag, so I look like I have a hump... Maybe that invites sympathy :)

-kt

I exactly agree with all the comments in this thread. When we put them together, we see that a very small minority of motorist are problematic. This is a scale of our society. Only a small proportion bother others by their, generally speaking, unpleasant conducts. No matter at wheel or at desk or wherever. The point I was trying to say was that it's easier to take it easy with the wrong-doings as far as they are forgiveable because only a minority of people are involved. However, there's another aspect to this. Imagine only 5% of motorist, riders and pedestrians are neglegant. How many people do we come across in our commute? All up, I come across ~100 people every day. So inevitably I have to deal with 5 unpleasant behaviours (averagely) every day. If I want to spend time and energy to correct them (which I think is necessary), then my professional life will be ruined. That's more or less due to my personality that likes to see the result or else a bitter feeling will be carried over thoughout my day. In many cases that I have tried to remind them of what they are supposed to be doing, I realised that they already knew, and they just had an aggressive/rude answer ready up their sleaves! So pardon my resigned approach. Life is too short to be ruined by a$$holes this way. I do ride for a different objective. But that's my personal opinion and not a fact. ;)

Originally posted by John Doe
amirm> Yeah, surely you can report the driver to the bus company. If
> amirm> there's decency in that company, they should have a system to deal with their neglegant
> amirm> drivers. But, say if you succeed, won't you come accross others that one way or other
> amirm> will ignore or violate your rights as a rider? My suggestion is to practice your riding
> amirm> where the risk of harm to you due to other's neglegance is minimal. That's my humble
> amirm> advice.
>
> So we're to let the attitudes of others dictate where we can ride?
>

> --
> Regards Euan

A joke I am sure. I have been riding on public roads for 20 years. I have had occasionaly near
misses. I have been hit by cars. I am not going to let others dictate how I can ride. Typically I
find bus drivers and truck drivers to be usually very courteous.

Peter

Not exactly. My approach was from a cost:benefit point of view. I'd rather spend time and passion with lobbying bodies to solve problems at the large scale (if possible) rather than getting involved with individulas.

Originally posted by Euan B Uk
amirm> Euan:

amirm> People have varied levels of knowledge about motoring, and on top of that they have
amirm> varied interpretations of the rules. In addition, we have people at wheels, on bikes or
amirm> on feet who carry and express their personalities in public. If you are going to be
amirm> bothered by other's wrong- doings, then you have to spend a valuable part of your useful
amirm> life getting over other's wrong-doings.

Before we get off on the wrong idea, this is the first problem I've had with a bus driver in the
five odd months I've been cycling. Indeed I've found that five nines of motorists are very
considerate towards me as a bicycle rider.

amirm> Yeah, surely you can report the driver to the bus company. If there's decency in that
amirm> company, they should have a system to deal with their neglegant drivers. But, say if you
amirm> succeed, won't you come accross others that one way or other will ignore or violate your
amirm> rights as a rider? My suggestion is to practice your riding where the risk of harm to you
amirm> due to other's neglegance is minimal. That's my humble advice.

So we're to let the attitudes of others dictate where we can ride?

--
Regards Euan

Greetings, I would tend to say report the *******, but probably your best bet would be to get on to
the Victoria Police bicycle squad in West Melbourne to give their drivers a lecture on responsible
road use. It could be a lot worse. I have had a bus deliberately open the hydraulic side door on me,
and I have also been shot at (!) The fact is the attitude of a small minority of drivers, both car,
bus and truck, basically sucks. Regards, Ray.

[email protected] wrote:

>Melbourne, Blackburn road I was overtaken by a bus who left me about 3 inches. To add insult to
>injury he pulled in to a bus stop about fifty meters after overtaking me :-/
>
>A little steamed, I informed him that he was required by law to give me at least a meter's
>clearance. His response was that I should ride closer to the kerb, go figure.
>
>I've got the reg of the bus, any point reporting him to the Police for dangerous driving?

"Ray Peace" writed:
> I have had a bus deliberately open the hydraulic side door on me, and I have also been shot at (!)

Oh, the irony! ;-)

hippy