Dangerous Roads

Robert Bruce

Guest
The AA has published a list of Britain's most dangerous roads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3116790.stm

Apparently, whereas a dangerous tree is one that might fall on top of you and a dangerous bear is
one that may act unpredictably and aggressively towards humans, rather than being full of holes or
mines, a dangerous road is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their
death machines into automatic pilot, the poor loves.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

"Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The AA has published a list of Britain's most dangerous roads.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3116790.stm
>
> Apparently, whereas a dangerous tree is one that might fall on top of you and a dangerous bear is
> one that may act unpredictably and aggressively towards humans, rather than being full of holes or
> mines, a dangerous road is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their
> death machines into automatic pilot, the poor loves.

Worse than that. These are roads that are fun to drive or ride on. People go miles to get to these
playgrounds.

Robert Bruce wrote:

> The AA has published a list of Britain's most dangerous roads.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3116790.stm

There is a not-too-surprising correlation between the use of the road by motorcyclists and the
accident rate. I don't have anything particular against MCs, but you have to admit a lot of them
ride rather fast out-of-town (understatement).

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The AA has published a list of Britain's most dangerous roads.
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3116790.stm
> >
> > Apparently, whereas a dangerous tree is one that might fall on top of
you
> > and a dangerous bear is one that may act unpredictably and aggressively towards humans, rather
> > than being full of holes or mines, a dangerous
road
> > is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their death machines into
> > automatic pilot, the poor loves.
>
> Worse than that. These are roads that are fun to drive or ride on. People go miles to get to these
> playgrounds.

It has to be said, stating the obvious I know. That there is no such thing as a dangerous road !

Graham

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It has to be said, stating the obvious I know. That there is no such thing as a dangerous
> road !

I know what you mean and agree that the road is passive. Unfortunately you could be
walking/cycling/driving quite safely but because the road layout presents a challenge to someone
else, requiring to think to a level they can't rise to, you end up a victim. Therefore that section
of road, benign in itself, is dangerous to use.

Pete

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote: ( It has to be said, stating the obvious I know. That
there is no such ) thing as a dangerous road !

Tell that to the hedgehogs.

"Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... , a dangerous road
> is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their death machines into
> automatic pilot, the poor loves.

I think you'll find that most of the people using this forum also own "death machines" as well as
bikes so cut the condescension please.

> I think you'll find that most of the people using this forum also own
"death
> machines" as well as bikes

So do I. And I drive the A44 (number 9 on the AA's list) twice a week, so I feel safe in stating
that there is absolutely nothing dangerous about his road if due care and attention is paid not only
to road but also to traffic conditions.

Robert Bruce wrote:

> Apparently, whereas a dangerous tree is one that might fall on top of you and a dangerous bear is
> one that may act unpredictably and aggressively towards humans, rather than being full of holes or
> mines, a dangerous road is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their
> death machines into automatic pilot, the poor loves.

This is about right. The nanny state strikes again! If I'm driving, I work on the assumption that if
I am sufficiently incompetent to lose control of the car I may die. Too many people assume that the
car will always protect them. Cars are only crash tested to 40mph. If you stack a car into a solid
object at 60mph or faster, you are probably going to
die. What are we supposed to do - create huge gravel traps on every bend?

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> This is about right. The nanny state strikes again! If I'm driving, I work on the assumption that
> if I am sufficiently incompetent to lose control of the car I may die. Too many people assume that
> the car will always protect them. Cars are only crash tested to 40mph. If you stack a car into a
> solid object at 60mph or faster, you are probably going to
> die. What are we supposed to do - create huge gravel traps on every bend?

Not a lot of use you being able to keep on the road if the **** coming the other way can't. Hence
you and the road may be perfectly safe but you, the road and a **** equal an unsafe environment for
you, commonly referred to as a dangerous road :)

Pete