Dangerous Roads

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Baguio City is located on top of the mountains about 300 kilometers north of Manila. To cyclists, it is famous for its challenging uphill climb on the zigzag roads before you reach the city proper. They say that Baguio is the final test of a cyclist's grit. However, there are accidents that cyclists fell on the ravine that instantly killed them. One cyclist is the husband of a film director who was in Baguio for a vacation. He took a ride in the zigzag road for a self challenge and that caused his death.

I've never visited that part of the world but from your description, Baguio City definitely sounds intriguing. There are a few scary hills to contend with here in South Africa, nasty accidents also occur from time to time. But zigzag roads are not that common and we have far more flatland. Which makes cycling less challenging than what you're used to. Sorry to hear about the husband of the film director, it's terrible that he died while riding his bike on vacation.

That sounds a pretty intense road to ride on and a sort of life changing achievement if you can do it, and survive.

Is it in any way similar to the famous death road in Bolivia?

I live in that country and I can say that the roads in Baguio are definitely going to be a challenge for a cyclist. It is extremely difficult to drive in it with a car and accidents do happen involving buses and cars. What more with a bike? The scary part is that the roads are uphill and beside it is a cliff. Overtaking is a big no-no but still some reckless drivers do it. Even if you are a careful and experienced cyclist, the problem lies with other drivers and vehicles.

May I know who is this director you're talking about? I haven't been up with the news lately.

It sounds like a beautiful place to explore, but I don't think I would be brave enough to cycle on those roads! There are some small sections of a trail I ride frequently that borders a cliff and I get so paranoid every time I pass that point, and that's without having to worry about traffic as well.

Where I live is mostly rolling hills and not many zigzags, so most accidents here occur downtown due to the city traffic.

If it is a zigzag road I would not dare go and climb. I had been to some adventures before and a near accident made me more careful now and would not take any risk that would involve me cycling to a far flung area and roads with dangerous curves.

That's so very tragic. I know many of our riders are thrill seekers and like to challenge themselves in pushing themselves to the limit, but a momentary pleasure should not be the cost of your life.

Damien Lee said:
I've never visited that part of the world but from your description, Baguio City definitely sounds intriguing. There are a few scary hills to contend with here in South Africa, nasty accidents also occur from time to time. But zigzag roads are not that common and we have far more flatland. Which makes cycling less challenging than what you're used to. Sorry to hear about the husband of the film director, it's terrible that he died while riding his bike on vacation.
I've always wanted to go to South Africa, especially Johannesburg. When you said the place is mostly flat lands, that has made it even more attractive to me.

In the part of England I'm currently living in there are many long, gentle slopes that go for endless miles in completely straight lines, all courtesy of the Roman invasion. In fact the romans were such great road-builders that most of the minor roads in my area and laid out exactly over the original Roman-road. They are great for long rides that are not too heavy-going. I would love to visit Baguio City as the scenery sounds exotic and beautiful.

Yes the road cycling is dangerous in particular the accidents whith the cars is very tragic in general. But the risk zero not exist and it is a part of the sport ;)

[SIZE=11pt]I have not experienced cycling in really dangerous roads, like zigzag roads or uphill climbs. It is very scary and I am not planning to risk my life in doing it. I just usually ride on flat roads and occasionally in mountain and forest rails which are not that dangerous. The only risks are cuts and falling off when I am on rocky and forest trails. These daredevils that ride on challenging and dangerous roads are really fearless and I have respect for them. I have seen those zigzag roads and they are really complex and I cannot imagine myself riding along that road. The cliff is also very steep, and in addition there are is also the traffic since it is a highway. You may be riding along with other vehicles, and it would be more difficult if there are big vehicles like buses or trucks. [/SIZE]

Keyan said:
If it is a zigzag road I would not dare go and climb. I had been to some adventures before and a near accident made me more careful now and would not take any risk that would involve me cycling to a far flung area and roads with dangerous curves.
There is a zigzag road here called Bitukang Manok which is translated as chicken intestines because it looks just like that in aerial photographs. It is part of the tour ng Pilipinas (counterpart of Tour De France). It's surprising that there were no accidents that occurred during the races although that ascent is notorious for vehicles. There are countless of accidents particularly those speeding buses which make the turn at 80 kph speed.