Dangerous Substance - The Follow Up

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gadget, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    Went round my mates to help him sort his bike out. Now someone mentioned an odour, well I don't know
    if this counts but when we were peeling the rubber of his tyres off his rims we both noticed a
    almond/roasting apples kind of smell. It managed to destroy both tyres, but left the aluminum mesh
    the tyres is built on. It also destroyed the inner tubes, brake blocks, cable sleeves, crud
    catchers. The paint work on the forks and on the rear of the frame has peeled right off the frame
    and has gone back to bare metal. The chain is clean as the grease and dirt has gone. He said he was
    going to have get the bike dipped and resprayed. Luckly his rims were fine. Just curious as to what
    would of happened if he didn't have his crud catcher fitted. Some of you have mentioned substances,
    what would they have done to the skin? The police said it will take at least 2 weeks to test the
    stuff they sampled, then they will let me know.

    Thanks for listening to my ranting.

    Gadget

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Went round my mates to help him sort his bike out. Now someone mentioned
    an
    > odour, well I don't know if this counts but when we were peeling the
    rubber
    > of his tyres off his rims we both noticed a almond/roasting apples kind of smell. It managed to
    > destroy both tyres, but left the aluminum mesh the tyres is built on. It also destroyed the inner
    > tubes, brake blocks, cable sleeves, crud catchers. The paint work on the forks and on the rear of
    > the frame has peeled right off the frame and has gone back to bare metal. The chain is clean as
    > the grease and dirt has gone. He said he was going to have get the bike dipped and resprayed.
    > Luckly his rims were fine. Just curious as to what would of happened if he didn't
    have
    > his crud catcher fitted. Some of you have mentioned substances, what would they have done to the
    > skin? The police said it will take at least 2 weeks
    > test the stuff they sampled, then they will let me know.
    >
    > Thanks for listening to my ranting.
    >
    > Gadget

    Quite a few years ago I worked in a fairly high-end ski shop that sold a lot of foam injected ski
    boots (custom fitted boots made by injecting foam into the bladders, for the non-skiers in this
    NG). The process entailed mixing the foam substance with a cyanide based catalyst (this method is,
    AFAIK, no longer used), and we were warned that if we ever smelled an almond kind of smell, it
    meant that the catalyst had spilled or was leaking, and we should get the hell out of the shop as
    quickly as possible.

    I'm not a chemist, and I apopogize for any technical inaccuracies, but Gadget's mention of an almond
    smell reminded me of this episode in my life. Does this shed any light on the possible nature of the
    mystery solvent, or am I completely full of crap?
    --
    mark

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Went round my mates to help him sort his bike out. Now someone mentioned
    an
    > odour, well I don't know if this counts but when we were peeling the
    rubber
    > of his tyres off his rims we both noticed a almond/roasting apples kind of smell. It managed to
    > destroy both tyres, but left the aluminum mesh the tyres is built on. It also destroyed the inner
    > tubes, brake blocks, cable sleeves, crud catchers. The paint work on the forks and on the rear of
    > the frame has peeled right off the frame and has gone back to bare metal. The chain is clean as
    > the grease and dirt has gone. He said he was going to have get the bike dipped and resprayed.
    > Luckly his rims were fine. Just curious as to what would of happened if he didn't
    have
    > his crud catcher fitted. Some of you have mentioned substances, what would they have done to the
    > skin? The police said it will take at least 2 weeks
    > test the stuff they sampled, then they will let me know.

    Assuming it was an organic solvent, it probably would have only degreased your skin and you might
    have developed a mild dermatitis. Problems would only occur if you used it on a regular basis, a
    one off incident wouldn't do much harm. Inorganic acids and alkalis (Sulphuric Acid and Sodium
    Hydroxide) are much more dangerous short term.