Dangerous Substance - The Results.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gadget, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    To anyone who remembers the my last post about a puddle of corrosive liquid found on the A10 cycle
    path. I have been phoned up with the results of the test. Apparantly it's meant to be a weedkiller
    the local council uses and is only meant to be used in small quantities issued through a spray gun.
    If this stuff eats plastic like it did on my mates bike, I'd love to see the spray gun. My mate is
    considering going to the council for compensation. Any thoughts on this?

    Gadget

    Tags:

  2. >My mate is considering going to the council for compensation. Any thoughts on this?

    >Gadget

    Some years ago, a friend successfully sued the authorities (can't remember which branch of
    authorities) after skidding on oil on the road and she suffered whiplash injuries. The oil was there
    as the result of a previous incidenmt and had not been cleaned off the road post event - then my
    friend came along in her car & skidded badly. My understanding is that you have to be able to prove
    negligence to be able to sue successfully. I wish you luck. Oh, and did you find out *exactly* what
    the weedkiller is - it would be interesting to dig up what its possible side effects are ...

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. W K

    W K Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > To anyone who remembers the my last post about a puddle of corrosive
    liquid
    > found on the A10 cycle path. I have been phoned up with the results of the test. Apparantly it's
    > meant to be a weedkiller the local council uses and
    is
    > only meant to be used in small quantities issued through a spray gun. If this stuff eats plastic
    > like it did on my mates bike, I'd love to see the spray gun. My mate is considering going to the
    > council for compensation. Any thoughts on this?

    Weedkiller? Even if its one of the relatively safe one I would have thought large pools of undiluted
    weedkiller would be enough to spark one hell of a row.

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Gadget <[email protected]> wrote:
    > To anyone who remembers the my last post about a puddle of corrosive liquid found on the A10 cycle
    > path. I have been phoned up with the results of the test. Apparantly it's meant to be a weedkiller
    > the local council uses and is only meant to be used in small quantities issued through a spray
    > gun. If this stuff eats plastic like it did on my mates bike, I'd love to see the spray gun. My
    > mate is considering going to the council for compensation. Any thoughts on this?
    >
    > Gadget

    I would notify Health and Safety Executive - 0845 3009923 - about it and they will probably take the
    lead in sorting out the council. Your claim on the back of it would then have much more force and
    serious treatment. I would also find out what the weedkiller is and what the health consequences of
    exposure to the undiluted material is. The manufacturer should be able to help there.

    Tony

    -- http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  5. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    > Gadget <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > To anyone who remembers the my last post about a puddle of corrosive liquid found on the A10
    > > cycle path. I have been phoned up with the results of the test. Apparantly it's meant to be a
    > > weedkiller the local council uses and is only meant to be used in small quantities issued
    > > through a spray gun. If this stuff eats plastic like it did on my mates bike, I'd love to see
    > > the spray gun. My mate is considering going to the council for compensation. Any
    thoughts
    > > on this?
    > >
    > > Gadget
    >
    > I would notify Health and Safety Executive - 0845 3009923 - about it and they will probably
    > take the lead in sorting out the council. Your claim on the back of it would then have much
    > more force and serious treatment. I would also find out what the weedkiller is and what the
    > health consequences of exposure to the undiluted material is. The manufacturer should be able
    > to help there.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > -- http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    > adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    > Bernard Shaw

    AND - get the local press involved.

  6. W K

    W K Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > AND - get the local press involved.

    I thought of that. But apart from the fact that they'd play on fears and stuff about "chemicals"
    (probably applicable here).

    ... The biggest risk is that you and your mate would have to have your photo taken with glum faces
    squatting whilst examining bike and pointing at a suspect puddle.

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    W K <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ... The biggest risk is that you and your mate would have to have your photo taken with glum faces
    > squatting whilst examining bike and pointing at a suspect puddle.

    ....with the headline "Cyclist collides with puddle" ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  8. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > W K <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > ... The biggest risk is that you and your mate would have to have your photo taken with glum
    > > faces squatting whilst examining bike and pointing at a suspect puddle.
    >
    > ....with the headline "Cyclist collides with puddle" ;-)

    Sounds like something from "The Framley Examiner" [1] ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    [1] Which I have mentioned on here before, and very funny it is too. Still, for those still unaware,
    I heartily recommend;

    http://www.framleyexaminer.com

  9. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Following on from wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter's message. . .
    >>My mate is considering going to the council for compensation. Any thoughts on this?
    >>
    >>Gadget
    >
    >Some years ago, a friend successfully sued the authorities (can't remember which branch of
    >authorities) after skidding on oil on the road and she suffered whiplash injuries. The oil was
    >there as the result of a previous incidenmt and had not been cleaned off the road post event -
    >then my friend came along in her car & skidded badly. My understanding is that you have to be able
    >to prove negligence to be able to sue successfully. I wish you luck. Oh, and did you find out
    >*exactly* what the weedkiller is - it would be interesting to dig up what its possible side
    >effects are ...

    The council has done you a wrong by (foreseeably) putting you in harm's way by it's act of leaving a
    corrosive substance on the cycle way. [In law this is called a tort.]

    Assuming that other cyclists used the path the council has in my opinion a duty to try to inform any
    cyclists that used the path because many will have damaged tyres with potentially serious results
    beyond simple economic loss. Therefore 'put the council on notice' so that there is no question of
    their not being aware of the serious consequences. Perhaps suggest they station a bod[1] or place a
    notice on the path AND publicise it in the local press.

    [1] To catch commuters - I don't know if it is a commuter route.

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the porcelain business went down the pan

  10. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    of "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My mate is considering going to the council for compensation. Any thoughts on this?

    Send it out to Baghdad. Our prime minister is desparate for evidence of chemical weapons there, and
    Dubya hasn't sprayed napalm yet ...

    --
    Blair's dictionary:

    Popular uprising - someone got pissed and thumped a policeman.