Dangers of using regular bicycle helmets ?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by fordfasterr, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. fordfasterr

    fordfasterr Guest

    I was told by one of the skate park operators that two inline skaters
    became paraplegics because they were involved in accidents @ the skate
    park when their bicycle helmets split open and failed to protect their
    brains...

    I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems crazy...

    I was looking at some of the pics in the gallery and I found one of a
    rider with a bike helmet and it reminded me of what the guy told me so
    I posted this.

    two nights ago I went to the store and bought a regular skate/inline
    helmet... its a BELL ... hard plastic shell with thick material inside
    and it fits me just right... cost $ 30 new.

    It has the tony hawk eagle on each side but I don't mind it.. its grey
    colored...

    Does anyone think its safer to wear the skate helmets vs the regular
    bicycle helmets while riding uni ?

    --
    fordfasterr

    Fav Quotes:
    A. {Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, Small
    minds discuss people.}
    B. {The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.}
    AIM SN: FordFasteR - 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636R carfree.com whyquit.com
    fordfasterr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11890

  2. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

    yeah i think its safer
    if you have a look at defect when kris holms sectio0n is on you see a
    stack and his head was about an inch or two away from a fence point
    type thing

    --
    dan de man

    James_Potter wrote:
    > Each end has to eat. What goes in one end, comes out the other.
    > Therefore, whatever end A eats, let's call him Fred, what Fred eats has
    > to come out of side 2, let's call him Charlie. Whatever Charlie eats
    > must come out of Fred.
    >
    > It's gruesome, I know. But the truth hurts sometimes.

    dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

  3. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    Yes a thicker helmet with more padding is almost certainly going to be
    safer, skate helmets are also better because they cover more of your
    head, particularly the back and sides.

    Howver, you have to draw the line somewhere, why not wear a motorbike
    helmet, or even a car racing helmet? Some people decide that a skate
    helmet is just too heavy and cumbersome to wear, while others go
    further and get full face helmets.

    Of course every helmet has a limit, a few years ago a guy at my local
    skatepark ended up in a coma for quite some time even though he was
    wearing a good helmet (although he did go on to make a full recovery)
    but he fell from over 20ft on to the floor, no matter how good your
    helmet is it can't protect you from everything.

    There is also suggestion that helmets increase injury during accidents
    (search for threads in which ian smith posted for explanations) so all
    this could be wrong, it just depends which side of the argument you
    believe

    --
    kington99

    Dave

  4. rich

    rich Guest

    As far as I have heard bicycle helmets are constructed for one hard
    knock, then they need to be thrown away.
    Skate helmets are designed to take many smaller impacts, although if
    they become visibly damaged or you get knocked unconscious in one I'd
    probably bin it anyway.

    --
    rich

    nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash
    rich's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11546

  5. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    I think the skate helmets are far better for coverage and protection.
    However, there is a heat dissipation problem. There's a vast
    difference in cooling power between the two styles. Anyone know of a
    helmet that does both well?

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  6. markf

    markf Guest

  7. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    I think skate helmets do protect better than most bike helmets...but for
    what most people do on unicycles, bike helmets would probably work
    okay.

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john
    lennon
    mikael atkinson
    jonny peacock is my main man.
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

  8. wobblyjohn

    wobblyjohn Guest

    A bike helmet's better than nothing. I'd expect that the better coverage
    of a skate helmet would be helpful riding on stairs/walls/rails, which
    do have lots of corners that could get at the bits a bike helmet
    doesn't cover.

    BTW: Unconcious means concussion. Go to the hospital if it happens. You
    can seriously black out for a few seconds, and be just fine until your
    brain swells the next day.

    --
    wobblyjohn
    wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

  9. Cycling helmets are a compromise between protection and ventilation, and
    as somebody mentioned earlier, they're only designed to take one hard
    crash. I wear a bike helmet for muni because I'm a cyclist and that's
    the type of helmet I've got - but a skate-type helmet certainly covers
    more of the head. I've never tried a skate helmet, but they look like
    they would get pretty warm on a hard ride. I've only ever hit my head
    really hard and that was while biking on the road (hit some ice). That
    was hard enough to crack the helmet but I got away with a stiff neck
    for a couple of days. I used to be very against wearing a helmet for
    biking (because of the heat), but in the last few years I've got used
    to it and now I always wear one even on the road - I suppose the same
    might be true of a skate helmet given time to adjust.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006

  10. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    fordfasterr wrote:
    > I was told by one of the skate park operators that two inline skaters
    > became paraplegics because they were involved in accidents @ the skate
    > park when their bicycle helmets split open and failed to protect their
    > brains...

    It is quite possible that those two people were riding with already
    damaged helmets (due to previous hits) and that's why the helmets
    failed to protect them adequately. A bicycle style helmet is good for
    one hit. After that one hit the helmet needs to be replaced because it
    is now damaged and may not protect you on the next hit. Even if you
    cannot see a visible dent or crack in the helmet it should be replaced
    after getting your head conked on the ground.

    A bicycle helmet is not a good choice for an inline skater or
    skateboarder in a skate park. Falls are common. Hitting your head on
    the ground or some other object is also common for that style of
    skating. Even if the hit is not hard enough to have injured you
    without the helmet it is possible that the hit did damage the bike
    helmet. Enough of those little hits and the helmet is damaged enough
    that it will no longer protect you from the big hit that the wearer
    expects the helmet to protect them from.

    That's why it would be better for a skater to use a BMX/skate helmet
    that is designed for multiple impacts. It's a different design than
    the bike style helmets.

    I feel that a bicycle style helmet would be fine for unicycle street
    style riding and unicycle trials style riding. Unicyclists in that
    style of riding don't take multiple little hits to the head like
    aggressive skaters can. The unicyclist just needs to be aware that if
    the helmet does take a good hit that it needs to be replaced.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  11. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, wobblyjohn <> wrote:

    > A bike helmet's better than nothing.

    That's far from proved. I expect you can find teh arguments if you
    care to search for them.

    > BTW: Unconcious means concussion. Go to the hospital if it happens. You
    > can seriously black out for a few seconds, and be just fine until your
    > brain swells the next day.

    Brain swelling the next day is compression, not concussion.
    Concussion always gets better with time (it happens immediately and
    you gradually recover). Compression gets worse with time. You can,
    however, have concussion and compression from the same blow to teh
    head.

    In general, it is a good idea to be checked over if you suffer any
    significant brain injury. Unconsciousness following a blow to teh
    head is a significant brain injury.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  12. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    I have three helmets that I use, depending on the riding.

    I use a Giro “Xen” for most trials and street riding. I remember that
    this was significantly expensive – even on sale. It has the low
    protection in the back (like a skate helmet) and offers significant
    ventilation at about 1/2 the weight of a traditional skate helmet.
    When riding slowly (trials/street) here in Memphis you need all the
    vents you can get without too much compromising the protection.

    I have a Giro “Eclipse” that I use for Cokering and bike riding. This
    is one of those $100+, yet disposable, bike helmets but it has tons of
    vents, very light.

    When I travel by plane I always take along a skate-style helmet. I
    have found that most of the time my helmets get damaged not by crashing
    but in transit or otherwise when not on my head. The skate helmets are
    not easily damaged and I trust them with my cerebral mainframe.

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar

    Tommy Thompson
    -NAUCC, June 30 - July 5, 2006-
    [email protected]
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  13. unitoon

    unitoon Guest

    unless you're a trials rider or are really klutzy, i'd say a bike helmet
    would do fine. i wear a bmx helmet myself and it has nize ventilation
    holes in the top. it's pretty comfy and didn't cost TOO much. i think
    it's pretty safe because it covers the back and sides of my head.
    still, if you're doing like insane things like backflips or whatever,
    perhaps a high-impact motorcycle helmet would work. actually, if i was
    doing that i'd just get the body cast pre-ordered. :D

    --
    unitoon

    [image: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8607/uni1tm.gif]
    unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

  14. unitoon

    unitoon Guest

    unless you're a trials rider or are really klutzy, i'd say a bike helmet
    would do fine. i wear a bmx helmet myself and it has nize ventilation
    holes in the top. it's pretty comfy and didn't cost TOO much. i think
    it's pretty safe because it covers the back and sides of my head.
    still, if you're doing like insane things like backflips or whatever,
    perhaps a high-impact motorcycle helmet would work. actually, if i was
    doing that i'd just get the body cast pre-ordered. :D

    --
    unitoon

    [image: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8607/uni1tm.gif]
    unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

  15. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > I think the skate helmets are far better for coverage and protection.
    > However, there is a heat dissipation problem. There's a vast
    > difference in cooling power between the two styles. Anyone know of a
    > helmet that does both well?

    I bought an 'Azonic Skid Lid' (http://tinyurl.com/f8dxu) and have been
    quite happy with its "cooling power"...
    [image: http://www.blueskycycling.com/product_image/19050_md.jpg]

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  16. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    I fell last weekend and sorta rolled back onto my head. Im fairly sure
    that I would have hit my neck on the pavement without a skate helmet.
    Just my two cents, a skate helmet is better, I dont think the
    ventlation is a problem with mine.

    --
    Eroick

    'The Unicyclopedia!' (http://unicyclopedia.org/)
    Help us make it better!
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

  17. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    The skate helmets might have better coverage, but if I was going to put
    my head in something and bash it against something else at 35km/h, I
    would go for the bike helmet. It's designed to minimise one major
    impact, not multiple small dings. So I would say that a bike helmet
    gives you better protection when it matters; but skate helmets might
    last longer from more trivial bumps.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
    'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
    'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

    The SINZ Unitour- coming soon......

  18. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    When im doing Street or minimal Trials, then a skateing helmet is just
    fine for handeling falls from a few feet, but if im doing extreme
    stuff, like, higher then 6-7 feet, then the bicycle helmet would be
    better, one bad fall from that height would need all the protection you
    can get =p

    --
    Jerrick

    Currently learning to Wheel Walk, coast, ride backwards one-footed,
    180-unispin, and seat drag\pushes =p

    Wish me luck!