Danielson at the Giro

matabala

Guest
What part will The Doughboy play in this Giro, if any? Can he be a
protagonist in the final mountainous week or will he strictly be riding for
Savoldelli? Where will he finish in GC?

On Rai pre-Giro program yesterday, Davide Cassani brought up his name as one
to watch. Found it interesting as his was the first name mentioned other
than the big Italian 5.

matabala said:
What part will The Doughboy play in this Giro, if any? Can he be a
protagonist in the final mountainous week or will he strictly be riding for
Savoldelli? Where will he finish in GC?

On Rai pre-Giro program yesterday, Davide Cassani brought up his name as one
to watch. Found it interesting as his was the first name mentioned other
than the big Italian 5.

Discovery seems to be setting him up as a coleader. Salvodelli can't control this race so they are going to need to be creative. That is why discovery also brought Rubiera and Beltran. Danielson is probably 20:1 to win, but not impossible.

lazysegall wrote:
> matabala Wrote:
>
>>What part will The Doughboy play in this Giro, if any? Can he be a
>>protagonist in the final mountainous week or will he strictly be riding
>>for
>>Savoldelli? Where will he finish in GC?
>>
>>On Rai pre-Giro program yesterday, Davide Cassani brought up his name
>>as one
>>to watch. Found it interesting as his was the first name mentioned
>>other
>>than the big Italian 5.

> Discovery seems to be setting him up as a coleader. Salvodelli can't
> control this race so they are going to need to be creative. That is
> why discovery also brought Rubiera and Beltran. Danielson is probably
> 20:1 to win, but not impossible.

Since Tommy D. didn't finish the Giro last year, this would be his first
completion of a GT, right? Or did he do the Vuelta last year? (Ah, how
memory fades with age...)

Has anyone ever won the Giro the very first time they completed it
successfully?

~bob

bob sullivan wrote:
> Has anyone ever won the Giro the very first time they completed it
> successfully?

Lots. Coppi is probably the best example. Also Hinault,
Indurain, and Binda. No doubt there are many others.

Bob Schwartz

lazysegall wrote:
> Discovery seems to be setting him up as a coleader. Salvodelli can't
> control this race so they are going to need to be creative. That is
> why discovery also brought Rubiera and Beltran. Danielson is probably
> 20:1 to win, but not impossible.

I've just got to point out that Danielson has yet to win a
single race in Europe. He has not won a single stage in a
single stage race, not a single one-day race, not a single
mountain or points jersey competition. If you don't count
races that let in teams like Jittery F Joes his palmares
are really thin.

I just wanted to point that out. He certainly has his fans.

Bob Schwartz

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> lazysegall wrote:
> > Discovery seems to be setting him up as a coleader. Salvodelli can't
> > control this race so they are going to need to be creative. That is
> > why discovery also brought Rubiera and Beltran. Danielson is probably
> > 20:1 to win, but not impossible.

> I've just got to point out that Danielson has yet to win a
> single race in Europe. He has not won a single stage in a
> single stage race, not a single one-day race, not a single
> mountain or points jersey competition. If you don't count
> races that let in teams like Jittery F Joes his palmares
> are really thin.
>
> I just wanted to point that out. He certainly has his fans.
>
> Bob Schwartz

How old is Danielson, and how many years has he been racing in Europe?

Fred

On 2006-05-06 23:09:22 -0400, Bob Schwartz
<[email protected]> said:

> lazysegall wrote:
>> Discovery seems to be setting him up as a coleader. Salvodelli can't
>> control this race so they are going to need to be creative. That is
>> why discovery also brought Rubiera and Beltran. Danielson is probably
>> 20:1 to win, but not impossible.

> I've just got to point out that Danielson has yet to win a
> single race in Europe. He has not won a single stage in a
> single stage race, not a single one-day race, not a single
> mountain or points jersey competition. If you don't count
> races that let in teams like Jittery F Joes his palmares
> are really thin.
>
> I just wanted to point that out. He certainly has his fans.
>
> Bob Schwartz

And the guy is real famous for being able to ride very fast when he is
by himself, but unable to hold any good position in a pack without some
serious hand holding.

"bob sullivan" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> lazysegall wrote:
>> matabala Wrote:
>>>What part will The Doughboy play in this Giro, if any? Can he be a
>>>protagonist in the final mountainous week or will he strictly be riding
>>>for
>>>Savoldelli? Where will he finish in GC?
>>>
>>>On Rai pre-Giro program yesterday, Davide Cassani brought up his name
>>>as one
>>>to watch. Found it interesting as his was the first name mentioned
>>>other
>>>than the big Italian 5.

>> Discovery seems to be setting him up as a coleader. Salvodelli can't
>> control this race so they are going to need to be creative. That is
>> why discovery also brought Rubiera and Beltran. Danielson is probably
>> 20:1 to win, but not impossible.

> Since Tommy D. didn't finish the Giro last year, this would be his first
> completion of a GT, right? Or did he do the Vuelta last year? (Ah, how
> memory fades with age...)

He finished 7th in last year's Vuelta.

[email protected] wrote:
> How old is Danielson, and how many years has he been racing in Europe?

He's 28. This is his third season with a Euro-based team. Before
that he rode for Saturn and Mercury.

He's won twice at Brasstown and took the GC in Georgia last year.
He won the Langkawi GC in 2003 (no stages). His other UCI wins
are, and I am not making this up, two stages and the GC in 2002
at the Tour de Qinghai Lake.

He's not a young guy. He's not inexperienced.

Bob Schwartz

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> He's 28. This is his third season with a Euro-based team. Before
> that he rode for Saturn and Mercury.

He's in a different orbit now.