Danish Counter-boycott

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dave Smith, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Three cheers for Denmark. They did nothing wrong. The people
    have no control over the newspaper than published the
    offensive cartoons, and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    even take offence. The crime of the Danish government was to
    refuse to intervene because it is a matter of freedom of
    speech. As a result, the Muslims are revolting ....again,
    and calling for a boycott of Danish products.

    We owe it to our Danish friends and to ourselves to run a
    counter boycott. Maybe the Moslems will stop these silly
    protests if they backfire on them.

    If you have children, go out and get them a Lego set. If
    they already have on, by an expansions kit for it. Get some
    Danish Blue cheese or some Havarti. If you want some beer
    for the Super Bowl tomorrow, get some Tubourg or Faxe. If
    you are having wings with the beer, make some Blue Cheese
    dressing with Danish blue.

    Tags:

  2. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Three cheers for Denmark. They did nothing wrong. The people
    > have no control over the newspaper than published the
    > offensive cartoons, and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    > even take offence. The crime of the Danish government was to
    > refuse to intervene because it is a matter of freedom of
    > speech. As a result, the Muslims are revolting ....again,
    > and calling for a boycott of Danish products.
    >
    > We owe it to our Danish friends and to ourselves to run a
    > counter boycott. Maybe the Moslems will stop these silly
    > protests if they backfire on them.
    >
    > If you have children, go out and get them a Lego set. If
    > they already have on, by an expansions kit for it. Get some
    > Danish Blue cheese or some Havarti. If you want some beer
    > for the Super Bowl tomorrow, get some Tubourg or Faxe. If
    > you are having wings with the beer, make some Blue Cheese
    > dressing with Danish blue.

    PC has gone mad here. The muslims are rioting at the embassies in
    London. They have banners threatening death and destruction to
    Westerners. The police do nothing!!! One man stood up against them in
    defiance and guess what? The police arrested him!!!!!!!!!!

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Ophelia wrote:

    > > If you have children, go out and get them a Lego set. If
    > > they already have on, by an expansions kit for it. Get some
    > > Danish Blue cheese or some Havarti. If you want some beer
    > > for the Super Bowl tomorrow, get some Tubourg or Faxe. If
    > > you are having wings with the beer, make some Blue Cheese
    > > dressing with Danish blue.

    > PC has gone mad here. The muslims are rioting at the embassies in
    > London. They have banners threatening death and destruction to
    > Westerners. The police do nothing!!! One man stood up against them in
    > defiance and guess what? The police arrested him!!!!!!!!!!

    We need that guy who decided to fight back against IRA violence by going to
    an IRA funeral and started lobbing grenades among the guests.

  4. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ophelia wrote:
    >

    >> > If you have children, go out and get them a Lego set. If
    >> > they already have on, by an expansions kit for it. Get some
    >> > Danish Blue cheese or some Havarti. If you want some beer
    >> > for the Super Bowl tomorrow, get some Tubourg or Faxe. If
    >> > you are having wings with the beer, make some Blue Cheese
    >> > dressing with Danish blue.

    >> PC has gone mad here. The muslims are rioting at the embassies in
    >> London. They have banners threatening death and destruction to
    >> Westerners. The police do nothing!!! One man stood up against them
    >> in
    >> defiance and guess what? The police arrested him!!!!!!!!!!

    > We need that guy who decided to fight back against IRA violence by
    > going to
    > an IRA funeral and started lobbing grenades among the guests.

    Oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Ophelia wrote:

    > >> PC has gone mad here. The muslims are rioting at the embassies in
    > >> London. They have banners threatening death and destruction to
    > >> Westerners. The police do nothing!!! One man stood up against them
    > >> in
    > >> defiance and guess what? The police arrested him!!!!!!!!!!

    > > We need that guy who decided to fight back against IRA violence by
    > > going to
    > > an IRA funeral and started lobbing grenades among the guests.

    > Oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Opps. Can't stoop to their level.

  6. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> > We need that guy who decided to fight back against IRA violence by
    >> > going to
    >> > an IRA funeral and started lobbing grenades among the guests.

    >> Oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Opps. Can't stoop to their level.

    *sigh* please do!

  7. Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> > If you have children, go out and get them a Lego set. If
    >> > they already have on, by an expansions kit for it. Get some
    >> > Danish Blue cheese or some Havarti. If you want some beer
    >> > for the Super Bowl tomorrow, get some Tubourg or Faxe. If
    >> > you are having wings with the beer, make some Blue Cheese
    >> > dressing with Danish blue.

    >> PC has gone mad here. The muslims are rioting at the embassies
    >> in London. They have banners threatening death and destruction
    >> to Westerners. The police do nothing!!! One man stood up
    >> against them in defiance and guess what? The police arrested
    >> him!!!!!!!!!!

    > We need that guy who decided to fight back against IRA violence by
    > going to an IRA funeral and started lobbing grenades among the
    > guests.

    You mean exacerbate the situation as a response to justified anger (and
    not particularly justified violence)?

    Remember that there a 1.6 billion muslims. In fact, they form the
    largest single group on the planet. And they turn their dead into
    martyrs. The last thing you want to do is make things worse because
    killing more of them is not going to improve the situation any nor make
    the dead come back to life.

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Three cheers for Denmark. They did nothing wrong. The people
    > have no control over the newspaper than published the
    > offensive cartoons, and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    > even take offence. The crime of the Danish government was to
    > refuse to intervene because it is a matter of freedom of
    > speech. As a result, the Muslims are revolting ....again,
    > and calling for a boycott of Danish products.
    >
    > We owe it to our Danish friends and to ourselves to run a
    > counter boycott. Maybe the Moslems will stop these silly
    > protests if they backfire on them.
    >
    > If you have children, go out and get them a Lego set. If
    > they already have on, by an expansions kit for it. Get some
    > Danish Blue cheese or some Havarti. If you want some beer
    > for the Super Bowl tomorrow, get some Tubourg or Faxe. If
    > you are having wings with the beer, make some Blue Cheese
    > dressing with Danish blue.

    Absolutely! I bought some havarti this week. The editor of the
    French paper who reprinted the cartoons with a statement about freedom
    of speech was fired. Nice.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  9. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:10:25 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

    > Three cheers for Denmark. They did nothing wrong. The people
    > have no control over the newspaper than published the
    > offensive cartoons, and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    > even take offence. The crime of the Danish government was to
    > refuse to intervene because it is a matter of freedom of
    > speech. As a result, the Muslims are revolting ....again,
    > and calling for a boycott of Danish products.

    The Danish caricature depicted Mohamed (not just "any muslim") as a
    terrorist and that's what made them so mad. In any case, I think they
    are being hypocritical because they put caricatures of Jews and
    Christians in their newspspers daily.

  10. aem

    aem Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:
    > .... and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    > even take offence.

    Muslims believe it is wrong (the equivalent of blasphemy for
    Christians) to produce and display images of Muhammed. These were not
    only images, they were insulting cartoons of the person they believe
    stands closest to their God. It is expected, normal behavior for
    Muslims to take offence.

    Didn't the televangelists take offence at the (already cancelled) tv
    show that portrayed Jesus looking like a long-haired hippie?

    I think believers in all three of the monotheisms that came out of the
    desert are wrong, but it has been obvious for centuries that when you
    insult believers they get angry.

    > We owe it to our Danish friends and to ourselves to run a
    > counter boycott.

    Oh nonsense. I don't owe the Danes shit. I might sympathize with the
    innocent getting caught up in generalized protest, but what else is
    new? I have more sympathy for the tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians
    that have been killed in the past few years.

    > Maybe the Moslems will stop these silly
    > protests if they backfire on them.

    More nonsense. People who believe their religion is under attack are
    going to change their thinking because you buy more Havarti? What
    planet are you living on? -aem

  11. Lisa Ann

    Lisa Ann Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Three cheers for Denmark. They did nothing wrong. The people
    > have no control over the newspaper than published the
    > offensive cartoons, and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    > even take offence.

    I'm not sure about that last statement about taking offense...in the US, the
    fundies have been known to take offense to anything that depicts Jesus in
    anything other than their image of him.

    >The crime of the Danish government was to
    > refuse to intervene because it is a matter of freedom of
    > speech. As a result, the Muslims are revolting ....again,
    > and calling for a boycott of Danish products.

    What is it that you expected the Danish government to do? I'm confused by
    your statement. Were they supposed to intervene with the paper and prohibit
    the cartoon from being published? Or were they supposed to intervene with
    the protesters and somehow stop the boycott? Both are free speech.

    Personally, I got a chuckle out of the cartoon, but I'm not Muslim. Maybe
    I'd feel differently if I were.

    That being said...any excuse to buy Danish Blue Cheese works for me. ;)

    Lisa Ann

  12. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On 4 Feb 2006 20:32:50 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dave Smith wrote:
    >> .... and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    >> even take offence.

    >Muslims believe it is wrong (the equivalent of blasphemy for
    >Christians) to produce and display images of Muhammed. These were not
    >only images, they were insulting cartoons of the person they believe
    >stands closest to their God. It is expected, normal behavior for
    >Muslims to take offence.

    No it isn't This is fundie started & fundie fueled. There is a long a
    beautiful history of images in Islam. Ever seen any Persian
    miniatures?

    >Didn't the televangelists take offence at the (already cancelled) tv
    >show that portrayed Jesus looking like a long-haired hippie?
    >
    >I think believers in all three of the monotheisms that came out of the
    >desert are wrong, but it has been obvious for centuries that when you
    >insult believers they get angry.

    Then maybe all of them need to be smack on the bottom and set to bed
    without dinner to teach them all a lesson.

    > > We owe it to our Danish friends and to ourselves to run a
    >> counter boycott.

    >Oh nonsense. I don't owe the Danes shit. I might sympathize with the
    >innocent getting caught up in generalized protest, but what else is
    >new? I have more sympathy for the tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians
    >that have been killed in the past few years.

    I think it would be nice to stand up to religious bigotry. There are
    any number of ways it can be done.

    >> Maybe the Moslems will stop these silly
    >> protests if they backfire on them.

    >More nonsense. People who believe their religion is under attack are
    >going to change their thinking because you buy more Havarti? What
    >planet are you living on? -aem

    These are insane fundies. Think of them as Pat Roberston on a prayer
    rug.

    Boron

  13. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    sf wrote:

    > The Danish caricature depicted Mohamed (not just "any muslim") as a
    > terrorist and that's what made them so mad.

    There are no pictures of the prophet Mohammed, so it probably doesn't look
    like the original at all. It's just speculation. Given their
    predisposition to name their children Mohammed, it could be any one of
    several million Mohammeds.

    > In any case, I think they
    > are being hypocritical because they put caricatures of Jews and
    > Christians in their newspspers daily.

    I guess that is because they figure it is different. Those are the idols
    of the infidels, so naturally subject to abuse.

  14. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    aem wrote:

    > Muslims believe it is wrong (the equivalent of blasphemy for
    > Christians) to produce and display images of Muhammed. These were not
    > only images, they were insulting cartoons of the person they believe
    > stands closest to their God. It is expected, normal behavior for
    > Muslims to take offence.
    >
    > Didn't the televangelists take offence at the (already cancelled) tv
    > show that portrayed Jesus looking like a long-haired hippie?

    You can take offence without burning down buildings and threatening to kill
    and kidnap.

    > I think believers in all three of the monotheisms that came out of the
    > desert are wrong, but it has been obvious for centuries that when you
    > insult believers they get angry.

    then they should learn to deal with their frustration in a healthier
    manner.

    > > We owe it to our Danish friends and to ourselves to run a
    > > counter boycott.

    > Oh nonsense. I don't owe the Danes shit.

    I do. My father was shot down over Denmark during the war, and a lot of
    Danes risked their lives to help him escape to Sweden. But on a more
    general note, the thing that has really pissed off the Moslems is that the
    Danish prime minister has refused to intervene because he considers it to
    be a matter of freedom of speech. That is a principle that most of us in
    the west value and we would hate to see that freedom lost because of
    threats of violence from fundamentalist thugs.

    > > Maybe the Moslems will stop these silly
    > > protests if they backfire on them.

    > More nonsense. People who believe their religion is under attack are
    > going to change their thinking because you buy more Havarti? What
    > planet are you living on? -aem

    There aim is to punish Denmark economically. If people stop buying Danish
    foods or stores are afraid to sell Danish products for fear of Islamic
    reprisals they win and will continue the tactic. If people rebel at their
    boycott and and sales increase, the boycott backfires.

  15. sf <[email protected]> writes:

    >The Danish caricature depicted Mohamed (not just "any muslim") as a
    >terrorist and that's what made them so mad. In any case, I think they
    >are being hypocritical because they put caricatures of Jews and
    >Christians in their newspspers daily.

    I just read a post on LiveJournal (I can link it if you want) by a
    gentleman who spent some years in the Middle East. He said that a
    Muslim traditionalist will say that other religions can take criticism
    because that religion is false. Islam is the truth so in their eyes any
    criticism must be fought. If they do not fight against criticism of
    their religion, it is offensive to their God.

    Stacia

  16. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:

    > sf <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >The Danish caricature depicted Mohamed (not just "any muslim") as a
    > >terrorist and that's what made them so mad. In any case, I think they
    > >are being hypocritical because they put caricatures of Jews and
    > >Christians in their newspspers daily.

    > I just read a post on LiveJournal (I can link it if you want) by a
    > gentleman who spent some years in the Middle East. He said that a
    > Muslim traditionalist will say that other religions can take criticism
    > because that religion is false. Islam is the truth so in their eyes any
    > criticism must be fought. If they do not fight against criticism of
    > their religion, it is offensive to their God.

    If there was truth to religion they would stand up to scrutiny and not have
    to protect themselves with the coercive pressures of rules of blasphemy. If
    they felt there was nothing to fear they wouldn't have to threaten
    consequences on Earth.

  17. On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:06:39 -0500, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Glitter Ninja wrote:
    >
    >> sf <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >> >The Danish caricature depicted Mohamed (not just "any muslim") as a
    >> >terrorist and that's what made them so mad. In any case, I think they
    >> >are being hypocritical because they put caricatures of Jews and
    >> >Christians in their newspspers daily.

    >> I just read a post on LiveJournal (I can link it if you want) by a
    >> gentleman who spent some years in the Middle East. He said that a
    >> Muslim traditionalist will say that other religions can take criticism
    >> because that religion is false. Islam is the truth so in their eyes any
    >> criticism must be fought. If they do not fight against criticism of
    >> their religion, it is offensive to their God.

    >If there was truth to religion they would stand up to scrutiny and not have
    >to protect themselves with the coercive pressures of rules of blasphemy. If
    >they felt there was nothing to fear they wouldn't have to threaten
    >consequences on Earth.

    From God's mouth to your ears...

  18. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Three cheers for Denmark. They did nothing wrong. The people
    >have no control over the newspaper than published the
    >offensive cartoons, and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    >even take offence. The crime of the Danish government was to
    >refuse to intervene because it is a matter of freedom of
    >speech.

    Freedom of speech is a secular idol that we cherish and is often used,
    as in this case, to provoke.

    The media sources which printed and reprinted the cartoons knew what
    they were doing and where this would lead. These were not individual
    cartoons part of a daily series or political commentary. They were
    commissioned to challenge the religious proscription against
    representation of certain images. The paper got what they intended.
    If they had wanted to avoid anger and protests, they wouldn't have
    used such an in-your-face campaign to break the taboo.

    Of course all of us who believe in free speech can support the burning
    of the Danish flag and the angry marches as a freedom of speech
    actions. Those who condone the plowing down of a McDonald's in France
    can understand the passions behind destruction of embassy property.
    Those who boycott French cheeses and wines because of international
    disputes can understand the boycott of Danish products. These are the
    weapons that some people use to retaliate against those who offend
    them.

    The cartoonists and newspapers have made their point about artistic
    expression, freedom of speech, and the value of jerking some chains to
    get reactions and attention; the radical Muslims are making their
    point about being offended.

    The actors are following the script.

    Sue(tm)

  19. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Curly Sue wrote:

    > >Three cheers for Denmark. They did nothing wrong. The people
    > >have no control over the newspaper than published the
    > >offensive cartoons, and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    > >even take offence. The crime of the Danish government was to
    > >refuse to intervene because it is a matter of freedom of
    > >speech.

    > Freedom of speech is a secular idol that we cherish and is often used,
    > as in this case, to provoke.

    True enough, but it is an interesting sort of provocation. I suppose that
    it could be said that they were provoking a reaction from a group that
    suppresses freedom of speech, freedom of thought and freedom of religion.

    > The media sources which printed and reprinted the cartoons knew what
    > they were doing and where this would lead.

    How could they know that it would lead to violent demonstrations and acts
    of arson? There is a good chance that the people who are protesting and
    rioting never even saw the cartoons, just like the Christians who
    protested movies like The Last Temptation of Christ, or the Moslems who
    protested Salmon Rushdie's Satanic Verses.

    > These were not individual
    > cartoons part of a daily series or political commentary. They were
    > commissioned to challenge the religious proscription against
    > representation of certain images. The paper got what they intended.
    > If they had wanted to avoid anger and protests, they wouldn't have
    > used such an in-your-face campaign to break the taboo.

    True. That was done by the papers. More accurately, it was a decision made
    by the editors of the paper. It was not the Danish people. It was not the
    Danish Government.

    > Those who boycott French cheeses and wines because of international
    > disputes can understand the boycott of Danish products. These are the
    > weapons that some people use to retaliate against those who offend
    > them.

    That would exclude me. The boycott of French products was an American
    issue because France refused to go along with the invasion of Iraq in
    order to search for WMDs that the French government did not believe were
    there and because they knew that an invasion would result in utter chaos.
    They were right on that one. I agreed with them. I made a point of buying
    French products over American. I got into the habit of buying French
    cheeses and wines.

    > The cartoonists and newspapers have made their point about artistic
    > expression, freedom of speech, and the value of jerking some chains to
    > get reactions and attention; the radical Muslims are making their
    > point about being offended.
    >
    > The actors are following the script.

    They have certainly exposed the Islamic world for what it is, and we need
    to choose sides.

  20. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Lisa Ann wrote:
    > "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Three cheers for Denmark. They did nothing wrong. The people
    >>have no control over the newspaper than published the
    >>offensive cartoons, and no one but a whacked Muslim would
    >>even take offence.

    > I'm not sure about that last statement about taking offense...in the US, the
    > fundies have been known to take offense to anything that depicts Jesus in
    > anything other than their image of him.

    How many embassies have they burned down? Taking offense is different
    than taking advantage of that offense to to promote violence and mayhem.
    I find a lot of what Sheldon says to be offensive, but I haven't
    burned down the newsgroup.

    BTW, I'm curious about who drew those extra 3 extra-offensive cartoons
    that were being distributed in the Middle East to incite riots.

    Bob