Danish potato bread?

Serene

Guest
My partner fondly remembers the potato bread his grandmother used to
make. It was very dense, he says, and she was of Danish descent, I
believe. She used to take pieces of it and fry them for him, too, and
make cinnamon rolls out of it. Anyone have an really good, really
substantial potato bread recipes they've tried?

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 00:40:02 -0800, [email protected] (Serene) wrote:

>My partner fondly remembers the potato bread his grandmother used to
>make. It was very dense, he says, and she was of Danish descent, I
>believe. She used to take pieces of it and fry them for him, too, and
>make cinnamon rolls out of it. Anyone have an really good, really
>substantial potato bread recipes they've tried?
>
>serene

You'll get passable results with a bread machine.
Use a regular "white bread" recipe, but,
Substitute 1/4 cup of the flour
with 1/4 cup of potato flakes.

<rj>

Serene wrote:
> My partner fondly remembers the potato bread his grandmother used to
> make. It was very dense, he says, and she was of Danish descent, I
> believe. She used to take pieces of it and fry them for him, too, and
> make cinnamon rolls out of it. Anyone have an really good, really
> substantial potato bread recipes they've tried?
>
> serene

Almost sounds like German Lefse to me. I've never made it but (I shudder to
suggest) try Google for Lefse?

Jill

jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Serene wrote:
> > My partner fondly remembers the potato bread his grandmother used to
> > make. It was very dense, he says, and she was of Danish descent, I
> > believe. She used to take pieces of it and fry them for him, too, and
> > make cinnamon rolls out of it. Anyone have an really good, really
> > substantial potato bread recipes they've tried?
> >
> > serene

> Almost sounds like German Lefse to me. I've never made it but (I shudder to
> suggest) try Google for Lefse?

I saw a special on Lefse once on FoodTV, and that's not it, but I sure
wished I could have some when I was watching. :)

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com

Actually Lefse is Norwegian and is more like a Scandinavian tortilla.
It is a flat bread can be made from potatoes, flour and I think even
rye flour. I typically make Potato Lefse at Christmas for my
American-Norwegian husband.

Here's a recipe for Norwegian Potato Bread from Scandinavian Cooking by
Beatrice Ojakangas.

@@@@@
White Potato Bread - Potetbrod - Norway

1 envelope active dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
1/2 cup warm water or water that potatoes were cooked in (110 degrees
F)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup cooked mashed potaotes (can use leftover)
1 cup milk, scalded, cooled
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, stir yeast into warm water or potato water; let stand
5 minutes to soften. Add sugar, butter, eggs, salt, potaotes and milk.
Beat until smooth. Adding 1 cup at a time, beat in enough flour to make
a stiff dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Cover with a dry
cloth; let stand 5 to 15 minutes. Wash and grease bowl; set aside.
Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; set aside. Adding flour as necessary,
knead dough until smooth, about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl,
round-up. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours. Punch down
and divide into 2 loaves. Place in prepared loaf pans. Let rise until
almost double, about 45 to 60 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until loaves
are golden and sound hollow when tapped. Cool on wire racks before
serving. Makes 2 loaves.

jmcquown wrote:
> Serene wrote:
> > My partner fondly remembers the potato bread his grandmother used

> > make. It was very dense, he says, and she was of Danish descent, I

snippage...