Danny Clark in hit and run

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
  2. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't sound at all
    promising when hardcore riders think about ceasing cycling.

    Then again, maybe he's just getting tired?

    hippy

  3. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    I think his S.O. might have twisted his arm a bit . . . (n.p.i.) but if you've got narrow roads, one-track-mind rednecks in 4wds with bullbars with not much day-to-day cycling culture sticking itself into said rednecks' faces, and the constabulary as indulgent cousins of said rednecks, you've got a societal anti-bike mindset which tacitly condones assault with a deadly weapon, as long as it's the appropriate weapon. I had a close family death as a result of lax country licence testing which allowed the perpetrator to drive with almost legal blindness, because how else do you get around in the country? Son of an ex-mayor of nearest country town, he got away with a suspended sentence - the charge? Not manslaughter, but 'dangerous driving' - well duh!, it killed someone on a bike. The local media bleating "He'll live with this for the rest of his life" indicated just how in-bed-with and closed-ranks a little country town gets when one of the squirearchy 'accidentally' negligently kills someone doing something just a little bit different to the norm, annoyingly getting in the way of the good burghers' 'lawful' progress on the public highway. Even if son of ex-mayor was driving into the rising sun and not wearing his prescription glasses at the time.

    M"fucking arseholes in cars should have their children neutered at birth"H

  4. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Danny Clark - the legend. It pains me to think he would be so upset as to give up the sport which has made him famous. The risks he took on the track were incredible, yet here his confidence has been crushed by a coward. I'll never forget that ride at Burnie in 78. More than half a lap down with one lap to go and he won - unbelievable!

  5. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:42:53 +1000, mfhor wrote:

    > he got away with a suspended sentence - the
    > charge? Not manslaughter, but 'dangerous driving' - well duh!, it
    > killed someone on a bike. The local media bleating "He'll live with
    > this for the rest of his life" indicated just how in-bed-with and
    > closed-ranks a little country town gets when one of the squirearchy
    > 'accidentally' negligently kills someone doing something just a little
    > bit different to the norm, annoyingly getting in the way of the good
    > burghers' 'lawful' progress on the public highway. Even if son of
    > ex-mayor was driving into the rising sun and not wearing his
    > prescription glasses at the time.

    Have they considered bringing a civil suit for damages ?

    -kt