Danny Pate ... Miller ... VandeVelde

plectrum

Jul 26, 2007
What was the purpose of Danny Pate's break away yesterday and why did he not ease off to allow a springboard for Vandevelde to use in a breakaway.

Also can Pate do it again but this time perhaps with another breakaway lunatic such as Miller. If they can race off early and then ease off for Vandevelde to catch, then a 3 man Slipstream on the big climb either Tues or Wed could work. It will kill the pair but after Alp D there is little need for a team as the only other big stage is ITT.

plectrum said:
What was the purpose of Danny Pate's break away yesterday and why did he not ease off to allow a springboard for Vandevelde to use in a breakaway.
It seemed that Danny Pate's purpose in the break was to win a stage, not to help Christian. Seems like a wasted effort if they really think Christian has a shot at the podium.

hawkeye87 said:
It seemed that Danny Pate's purpose in the break was to win a stage, not to help Christian. Seems like a wasted effort if they really think Christian has a shot at the podium.
In an interview, they have said that their goal was to get Vande Velde in the top ten, although being in a position to podium is a big bonus. I don't think the team can support Vande Velde through the mountains. I see Pate's move as opportunistic rather than tactical.

Where was vandevelde going to break away? On the flat it would have been a wasted effort and i dont think Pate would have been any use on the final climb either. On a separate note, it is possible that one of the next few stages will see a Garmin rider go ahead with the dual options of a stage win or being able to help vdv further along the route - as Garmin will struggle in the mountains this might be an idea they use. Cant see any of them being able to help vdv very much on any of the steep climbs other than be there for him if the pace isnt too hot.

I think that they did expect Pate to help VandeVelde whenever the break was caught or the break was close to being caught. But the plans changed when the break was obvisouly going to stay away and Pate had a 1 in 4 chance to be in the podium, and I assume the CVV said that he didn't need him.

earth_dweller said:
I think that they did expect Pate to help VandeVelde whenever the break was caught or the break was close to being caught. But the plans changed when the break was obvisouly going to stay away and Pate had a 1 in 4 chance to be in the podium, and I assume the CVV said that he didn't need him.
Especially after he crashed.

While Vande Velde credits Armstrong with teaching him how to ride the Tour and carry himself, his biggest inspiration was his father.

John Vande Velde was a two-time Olympian and appeared in the classic cycling film "Breaking Away."

"He was one of the famous Italian guys," Vande Velde said of his father's cameo role. "I would never be sitting here if it wasn't for my father. He's been my biggest fan and supporter since Day One."

Vande Velde's great grandfather emigrated to Chicago from Belgium and the love of the sport has been handed down in the family from generation to generation.

"The cycling culture goes on and on," Vande Velde said. "They wanted to simulate the old country and ride bikes.

"I have some relatives from Belgium that came over to see me the first week of the Tour, with 'Go Vande Velde' signs and stuff like that. I've been in contact with them since I've been riding over here, for ten, eleven years."

Belgian media often adopt Vande Velde as one of their own, "although usually only when I do well," he said.

When Vande Velde was forced to skip the 2001 Tour with an injury, he went back to Chicago and renewed his relationship with his high school sweetheart, Leah. The couple are now married and have a daughter named Uma.

"I think he's one of the few riders that realizes the Tour de France is not everything," said Allen Lim, Garmin's technology expert and physiotherapist. "He probably wouldn't be married if he hadn't missed the Tour that year."

whiteboytrash said:
While Vande Velde credits Armstrong with teaching him how to ride the Tour and carry himself, his biggest inspiration was his father.

John Vande Velde was a two-time Olympian and appeared in the classic cycling film "Breaking Away."

"He was one of the famous Italian guys," Vande Velde said of his father's cameo role. "I would never be sitting here if it wasn't for my father. He's been my biggest fan and supporter since Day One."

Vande Velde's great grandfather emigrated to Chicago from Belgium and the love of the sport has been handed down in the family from generation to generation.

"The cycling culture goes on and on," Vande Velde said. "They wanted to simulate the old country and ride bikes.

"I have some relatives from Belgium that came over to see me the first week of the Tour, with 'Go Vande Velde' signs and stuff like that. I've been in contact with them since I've been riding over here, for ten, eleven years."

Belgian media often adopt Vande Velde as one of their own, "although usually only when I do well," he said.

When Vande Velde was forced to skip the 2001 Tour with an injury, he went back to Chicago and renewed his relationship with his high school sweetheart, Leah. The couple are now married and have a daughter named Uma.

"I think he's one of the few riders that realizes the Tour de France is not everything," said Allen Lim, Garmin's technology expert and physiotherapist. "He probably wouldn't be married if he hadn't missed the Tour that year."

Van DeVelde interview with Kimmage in this weekends Sunset Times, makes it clear that Van DeVelde had the best "numbers" on the USPS/Disco team.

Interview is here

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/cycling/article4232249.ece