Dark Side - Recommendations

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Drinkwater, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. I am in the market for a my first recumbent and, having only seen a handful
    when I lived in Amsterdam, have almost zero knowledge of the area. Can
    people with more experience provide some advice on what factors I need to
    consider - and any makes/models that I should consider.

    My budget is around £1000 and I want something fast and fun.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Mark Drinkwater wrote:
    > I am in the market for a my first recumbent and, having only seen a handful
    > when I lived in Amsterdam, have almost zero knowledge of the area. Can
    > people with more experience provide some advice on what factors I need to
    > consider - and any makes/models that I should consider.

    You should try a pile of stuff out, is the bottom line: it's the only
    way to be sure the seat and ride position suits. Pity you didn't decide
    this when you were in NL, as it's much easier to get a range of models
    to try!

    > My budget is around £1000 and I want something fast and fun.

    If you want fast then a rule of thumb is lower == better (there are
    exceptions to this), and if you want to be close to a grand then
    probably bikes rather than trikes. But being able to up the budget will
    give you a lot more choice.

    Challenge Hurricane Sport is £1190 from London Recumbents (and probably
    Bikefix and Norman Fay too) and is a good start point, though personally
    I wasn't a fan of the similar Challenge Mistral I tried in NL. A Nazca
    Fiero is what Roos bought, and without All The Extras they're a similar
    price for IMHO a rather nicer bike, but you won't get one in the UK and
    your idea of really comfy may differ from Roos' along with your anatomy:
    you have to try them to be sure. Optima Stinger is similar setup but a
    bit more and doesn't have an underseat steer option (only a problem if
    you prefer USS, of course).

    There's loads more out there, and having a go on a selection is probably
    the best way to decide what you /really/ want (for example, the
    Kettweisel trike isn't that fast but it's Big Fun, especially doing
    handbrake turns, and Roos ended up with her Fiero despite almost ruling
    it out of the going completely before actually riding on). London
    Recumbents in Brighton and London, Bikefix in London, Futurecycles in
    Surrey, Norman Fay in South Shields, D-Tek in Cambridge and Kinetics in
    Glasgow are the Usual Suspects to try stuff out. IIRC Darth Kevin at
    D-Tek keeps a stock of second hand too, so your money may well go a bit
    further.

    Some come up on eBay, but it's worth saying again and again that trying
    out the intended purchase is a Really Good Idea, as there's far more
    variation than in "normal" bikes.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:09:51 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Drinkwater"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >I am in the market for a my first recumbent and, having only seen a handful
    >when I lived in Amsterdam, have almost zero knowledge of the area. Can
    >people with more experience provide some advice on what factors I need to
    >consider - and any makes/models that I should consider.

    I'm with Pete - Holland has a better selection, pop over there for a
    weekend ;-)

    Budgets may be an issue, but keep an eye on eBay. And try everything.
    Go to the bike rallies and ride every bike you can, they are all
    different.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

  4. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    Hello Mark,
    I have no doubt you will enjoy moving to the dark side as I have done.
    I know it's not always easy to try lots, I ended up buying three, two
    wheelers before I was happy with my LWB Ryan ( http://ryanownersclub.com/ )
    which cost me 350 s/h in the here uk.
    One thing to keep an eye on is the fact that ICE (
    http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/ ) have been steadily reducing the price of their
    trikes and you can now buy a new Ice S for 1500, and in my opinion that's a
    bargain for a piece of "fast art".
    So I have ended up with old Trice Classic (that cost me 1100, purchased
    when a new Trice cost 3000!) and a Ryan which suit me but then I'm not
    especially fast, comfort is my main goal!
    Both these machines do all I need. I can manage 50 miles on either with no
    aches or pains except tired legs.
    If you are in the south east and you would like to try one give me a shout.
    Good luck with your search and please let the group know what you end up
    with.

    "Mark Drinkwater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am in the market for a my first recumbent and, having only seen a handful
    >when I lived in Amsterdam, have almost zero knowledge of the area. Can
    >people with more experience provide some advice on what factors I need to
    >consider - and any makes/models that I should consider.
    >
    > My budget is around £1000 and I want something fast and fun.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mark

  5. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:09:51 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Drinkwater"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >I am in the market for a my first recumbent and, having only seen a handful
    > >when I lived in Amsterdam, have almost zero knowledge of the area. Can
    > >people with more experience provide some advice on what factors I need to
    > >consider - and any makes/models that I should consider.

    > I'm with Pete - Holland has a better selection, pop over there for a
    > weekend ;-)

    Walking down a street in Haarlem over Christmas two of the three cycle
    shops had bents in the windows.

    I was dragged away :-(

    But was allowed to buy a new bell :)

    John B

  6. "Steve W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    snippity...
    > One thing to keep an eye on is the fact that ICE (
    > http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/ ) have been steadily reducing the price of their
    > trikes and you can now buy a new Ice S for 1500, and in my opinion that's
    > a bargain for a piece of "fast art".

    snippity...

    I've got the Ice T - with a few extras that pushed the price up a tad. I do
    like it a lot - I'd like it even more if I could prise it away from my
    teenage son ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  7. "Mark Drinkwater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am in the market for a my first recumbent and, having only seen a handful
    >when I lived in Amsterdam, have almost zero knowledge of the area. Can
    >people with more experience provide some advice on what factors I need to
    >consider - and any makes/models that I should consider.
    >
    > My budget is around £1000 and I want something fast and fun.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mark

    Many thanks for all the advice - and even offer for a test ride which is
    very much appreciated.

    I will try to negotiate a budget increase with "The Trouble" and try as many
    as possible. I'll be posting again once I have chosen.

  8. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    Good luck!

    SW

    "> Many thanks for all the advice - and even offer for a test ride which is
    > very much appreciated.
    >
    > I will try to negotiate a budget increase with "The Trouble" and try as

    many
    > as possible. I'll be posting again once I have chosen.

  9. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:53:17 -0000, "Helen C Simmons"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd like it even more if I could prise it away from my
    >teenage son ;-)

    Can't you buy him a Vauxhall Nova or something?

  10. "Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:53:17 -0000, "Helen C Simmons"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I'd like it even more if I could prise it away from my
    >>teenage son ;-)

    > Can't you buy him a Vauxhall Nova or something?

    Certainly not! Apart from the fact he's too young for a car...

    Cheers, helen s

  11. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    Mark Drinkwater wrote:
    > I am in the market for a my first recumbent and, having only seen a
    > handful when I lived in Amsterdam, have almost zero knowledge of the
    > area. Can people with more experience provide some advice on what
    > factors I need to consider - and any makes/models that I should
    > consider.
    > My budget is around £1000 and I want something fast and fun.

    Depends a bit if your budget is £1000 to £1400, or if its nearer to £1000.

    Personally, I'd suggest some caution to begin with, and go in with a s/hand
    machine, though only after test-riding a number of different types. There's
    less chance of loosing loads of money with a poorly selected purchase.

    It takes time to work out what you really want for seating position, and
    also to get the legs used to the recumbent position.

    If in range of Kevin at D.Tek (near Ely, Cambridgeshire), then go there and
    pay £25 for his half-day riding session. There is a huge difference between
    different machines, and what one person recons is the best will be the worst
    for someone else.

    Some of Kevin's s/hand stock is also a witness to new riders selecting
    recumbents without lengthy testing, and then loosing a fortune.
    Over the summer I test rode secondhand examples of the SpeedMachine,
    StreetMachine GT and Grasshopper. All were high-spec examples with disc
    brakes and other expensive extras. All are very well regarded models, you'll
    find riders of them who rate them as amongst the best machines built. And
    each of the examples I tried had been purchased from new from other dealers,
    tried for a few miles and then sold to Kevin as s/hand because the owner
    didn't like them.
    The per-mile losses on them would make a new car look cheap !

    I'm currently getting my recumbent legs sorted on a s/hand Pashley PDQ.

    - Nigel

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
    Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  12. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Helen C Simmons wrote:

    > "Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:53:17 -0000, "Helen C Simmons"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'd like it even more if I could prise it away from my
    > >>teenage son ;-)

    > > Can't you buy him a Vauxhall Nova or something?

    > Certainly not! Apart from the fact he's too young for a car...

    You should have stopped at 'not".

    Its only a matter of months is it not?

    John B

  13. "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Its only a matter of months is it not?
    >
    > John B

    Quite a few months - and he'll be taught to drive, but he will not be
    getting his own car.

    Cheers, helen s

  14. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Helen C Simmons wrote:
    > Quite a few months - and he'll be taught to drive, but he will not be
    > getting his own car.

    Nah, he'll just borrow Mum's Merc, then Mum can have her trike back ;-)

  15. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Nigel Cliffe wrote:
    > If in range of Kevin at D.Tek (near Ely, Cambridgeshire), then go there and
    > pay £25 for his half-day riding session. There is a huge difference between
    > different machines, and what one person recons is the best will be the worst
    > for someone else.

    Seconded. You can expect to spend some time there listening to
    anecdotes, but their good ones so it's worth it. The range of beasts
    that he has is unsurpassed in my experience and he's usually got some
    good possibilities second hand.

    As commented, some of the s/h ones he ends up with are criminal. The
    best one he was telling me about recently was a bent (Don't remember the
    type) which was now onto its third owner over a 8 year period and had
    still only done about 5 miles. The current owner was pestering Kevin
    after buying it for a good secondhand one (Like the one he'd got) that
    he could ride because the other one was "too good to actually ride"!

    A lot of people get nervous about trying machines without knowing how to
    ride ("The guys there just looked so professional about it, I didn't
    want to make a fuss") and have been known to buy without trying at all.
    Ben in Glasgow apparently was once offered a bent that he'd sold. "About
    5 miles, a few scratches where I fell off. I can't ride them"!

    Jon

  16. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:
    > Nigel Cliffe wrote:
    >
    >> If in range of Kevin at D.Tek (near Ely, Cambridgeshire), then go
    >> there and pay £25 for his half-day riding session. There is a huge
    >> difference between different machines, and what one person recons is
    >> the best will be the worst for someone else.

    > Seconded. You can expect to spend some time there listening to
    > anecdotes, but their good ones so it's worth it. The range of beasts
    > that he has is unsurpassed in my experience and he's usually got some
    > good possibilities second hand.
    >
    > As commented, some of the s/h ones he ends up with are criminal. The
    > best one he was telling me about recently was a bent (Don't remember the
    > type) which was now onto its third owner over a 8 year period and had
    > still only done about 5 miles. The current owner was pestering Kevin
    > after buying it for a good secondhand one (Like the one he'd got) that
    > he could ride because the other one was "too good to actually ride"!
    >
    > A lot of people get nervous about trying machines without knowing how to
    > ride ("The guys there just looked so professional about it, I didn't
    > want to make a fuss") and have been known to buy without trying at all.
    > Ben in Glasgow apparently was once offered a bent that he'd sold. "About
    > 5 miles, a few scratches where I fell off. I can't ride them"!
    >
    > Jon

    Hmm, I must get myself up to D.Tek at some point if they have
    second-hand yet virtually unridden machines ;-)

    --

    Velvet

  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Velvet wrote:

    > Hmm, I must get myself up to D.Tek at some point if they have
    > second-hand yet virtually unridden machines ;-)

    If you look through 'bent sale ads much there is an astonishing
    proportion of basically unused machinery that has clearly been bought by
    people who read some hoopla and bought "the best recumbent in the world"
    without actually thinking if it was the right cycle for them first.

    I think part of the problem is people think "recumbent" is in itself a
    useful classification for a narrow class of bike, rather than a very
    broad range of completely different machines that do different things
    well. An equivalent would be someone who didn't cycle asking a road
    racer what's the best bike in the world, being pointed at Lance's Trek
    as a fair contender, and then after buying one wondering why it's not
    very comfy around town and doesn't take shopping well...

    Ben currently has a second hand Windcheetah with full carbon fairings
    that's basically never been anywhere and if it fits it's a steal at
    £2,500 (it would be £4,350 new!))...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  18. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > Ben currently has a second hand Windcheetah with full carbon fairings
    > that's basically never been anywhere and if it fits it's a steal at
    > £2,500 (it would be £4,350 new!))...
    >
    > Pete.

    *Sticks fingers in ears (or should it be eyes!)* Lalalalalalaalalaaaa my
    retail-therapy-centre can't hear you Lalalalalalalalalaaaaaa :)

    --

    Velvet

  19. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Peter Clinch:
    > Ben currently has a second hand Windcheetah with full carbon fairings
    > that's basically never been anywhere and if it fits it's a steal at
    > £2,500 (it would be £4,350 new!))...

    The "special offers" page says:

    "It is a smallish frame, suitable for anyone up to about 5=3F9=3F."

    O well.

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "Those who are at war with others are not at peace with
    themselves."

  20. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Mark McNeill:
    > The "special offers" page says:
    >
    > "It is a smallish frame, suitable for anyone up to about 5=3F9=3F."

    No it doesn't, it says 5'9"; damn those verdammt special characters!

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "What arouses the indignation of the honest satirist is not,
    unless the man is a prig, the fact that people in positions of
    power or influence behave idiotically, or even that they behave
    wickedly. It is that they conspire successfully to impose upon
    the public a picture of themselves as so very sagacious, honest
    and well-intentioned."