Dark Side Trikes - Further Thoughts

In news:[email protected],
Günther Schwarz <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> Mine shows a stamp V2A, so it is not the worst quality available. And
> that's the cheap Q model :p
> I did not yet find to disassemble the whole thing for inspection. But
> I'll have to do this anyway as I want to replace the ugly stem with
> something lighter and more shiny [1].

ICE say that the bolt needs to be secured with Loctite and torqued down to a
particular figure, which they'll be supplying along with the new bolt.

> Does anybody have the exact
> specifications? Length seems to be 10cm, handlebar diameter 25,8mm,
> and steerer tube diameter 1 1/8"? Right? I do have no good idea how to
> measure the stem evelation angle in a simple way other than comparing
> it with one where I know the measure.

Not usre, coz it's 30 km away on the other side of a hill at the moment, but
I'm sure the nice men at ICE would tell you if you asked them nicely.

--
Dave Larrington
And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured

Rob Morley wrote:

> I wasn't thinking hooliganoid so much as just pulling firmly on the bars
> when pedalling.

But there is no need or real inclination to do that on a 'bent, unless
of course you have a particular affinity for roadside ditches...

One of the things I see people having most trouble with when they first
try a recumbent is putting far too much (i.e., pretty much /any/) force
through the bars. All you need is fingertip steering force, even on a
hill start.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley wrote:
>
> > I wasn't thinking hooliganoid so much as just pulling firmly on the bars
> > when pedalling.

> But there is no need or real inclination to do that on a 'bent,

I know, which is why I suggested that it might only be a problem for a
few people rather than a design flaw.

> One of the things I see people having most trouble with when they first
> try a recumbent is putting far too much (i.e., pretty much /any/) force
> through the bars. All you need is fingertip steering force, even on a
> hill start.

I wonder if lending the machine to upright cyclists for a tryout would
place undue strain on the steering pivot.

On 2 Aug, 09:11, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
> > I wasn't thinking hooliganoid so much as just pulling firmly on the bars
> > when pedalling.

> But there is no need or real inclination to do that on a 'bent, unless
> of course you have a particular affinity for roadside ditches...

With a USS, low seat height, trike, there is also the newbie tendency
to use the steering bars as a convenient place to both lower oneself
into the seat, and then lever oneself out again, which might apply
nasty bending loads to said pivot bolt :(
Not that I am accusing Legs of such misuse - I'm sure he has more
entertaining ways of abusing it! ;)