Darker...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Mar 25, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Ooh it's a lot darker these days than when I last commuted to work
    month or more ago. Last time I rode to work, it was dark for only abou
    15mins of the ride, now it only "started" to get light with 15min to go

    I'd decided I would clean off the dust from the dirt crits with a nice
    healthy commute and actually managed to wake up for it, even afte
    sleeping through one alarm

    Traffic, though never good, was not as bad as I expected. Temperatur
    was fine - nicks and t-shirt stylin's. No incidents, nothing funny, onl
    a desire for some better lights (see other thread)

    1hr 7min for the 26k, which is faster than I expected given that I wa
    taking it _really_ easy on the SS

    How was everyone else's commute

    hipp

    -

    Tags:

  2. eddiec

    eddiec Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > How was everyone else's commute?
    > hippy

    Getting back into it!

    I've ramped up from maybe 1 day a week to 4-5 and really enjoying it
    Getting the fitness back to a decent level, and remembering that yes
    cyclists are at the bottom end of the pecking order in most people
    eyes! (a few car/pedestrian encounters already) Traffic has been ok
    either quiet, or busy enough for some easy lane-splitting action

    Time in is dropping (down to about 50 minutes for the Mont Albert t
    City run) and finding it easier to do which is muchly rewarding
    Weather's good. Light is fine, although I have dug out the vistalite
    plugged in a brighter bulb and trying to get the ol' rechargeable
    working properly again (grr..

    Things should improve even more when the dedicated commuter is complete
    in a week or so

    -

  3. jazmo

    jazmo Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Ooh it's a lot darker these days than when I last commuted to work a
    > month or more ago. Last time I rode to work, it was dark for only about
    > 15mins of the ride, now it only "started" to get light with 15min to go.
    > I'd decided I would clean off the dust from the dirt crits with a nice,
    > healthy commute and actually managed to wake up for it, even after
    > sleeping through one alarm.
    > Traffic, though never good, was not as bad as I expected. Temperature
    > was fine - nicks and t-shirt stylin's. No incidents, nothing funny, only
    > a desire for some better lights (see other thread).
    > 1hr 7min for the 26k, which is faster than I expected given that I was
    > taking it _really_ easy on the SS.
    > How was everyone else's commute?
    > hippy

    It will be much lighter in the mornings as of Sunday - end o
    daylight savings

    I must say, I've got a dream run into work. I don't need to travel o
    busy roads

    My commute goes through some side streets (and about 300m of busy road
    before going onto the Main Yarra Trail just before Bullen Rd, next t
    the Eastern Fwy. I then ride the Main Yarra Trail to Chandler Hwy. The
    I ride the Kew Blvd. At the end of Kew Blvd is a foot-bridge then I g
    down Burnely St (Richmond) for about 2 km (which has a bike lane) an
    I'm at work. That makes it 19 kms each way

    Since it will be brighter in the mornings as of this weekend, I'
    planning to do a few more laps of the Yarra Blvd on my way into work

    -

  4. dejonica

    dejonica Guest

    > How was everyone else's commute?
    >
    > hippy

    pretty good this morning:)
    there didnt seem to be as much traffic along warrigal rd as there normally
    is..
    i ride from surrey hills to clayton / notting hill (approx 13.5km going to,
    11.5 getting home)
    i take warrigal from riversdale all the way to holmesglen tafe, then up
    waverly rd to stephensons rd to ftg road..
    on the way home i go straight up stephensons rd to burwood highway and then
    to elgar rd..
    i find that stephensons / middleborough rd in the mornings is a little
    scary. it seems to have very narrow lanes and the road surface tends to be a
    few inches higher than the gutter in places..

    both routes beat riding blackburn road hands down:)

  5. Gary Perkins

    Gary Perkins Guest

    The commute was cancelled this morning....car got broken into last night
    after our weekly crit :( so had to take it into Toyota to organise new
    window etc. Luckily only lost the other halfs purse and not the roadie that
    was sitting on the back seat, all good really. Bit of a pity about the
    commute as I just picked the MTB up yesterday with all new drive train and
    was looking forward to trying it out this morning with the slippage and
    non-gear changes fixed.

    2nd coffee starting to kick in now so I think I can get some work done.

    Cheers
    Gary

    > Ooh it's a lot darker these days than when I last commuted to work a
    > month or more ago. Last time I rode to work, it was dark for only about
    > 15mins of the ride, now it only "started" to get light with 15min to go.
    >
    > I'd decided I would clean off the dust from the dirt crits with a nice,
    > healthy commute and actually managed to wake up for it, even after
    > sleeping through one alarm.
    >
    > Traffic, though never good, was not as bad as I expected. Temperature
    > was fine - nicks and t-shirt stylin's. No incidents, nothing funny, only
    > a desire for some better lights (see other thread).
    >
    > 1hr 7min for the 26k, which is faster than I expected given that I was
    > taking it _really_ easy on the SS.
    >
    > How was everyone else's commute?
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --

  6. ftf

    ftf Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Ooh it's a lot darker these days than when I last commuted to work a
    > month or more ago. Last time I rode to work, it was dark for only about
    > 15mins of the ride, now it only "started" to get light with 15min to go.
    > I'd decided I would clean off the dust from the dirt crits with a nice,
    > healthy commute and actually managed to wake up for it, even after
    > sleeping through one alarm.
    > Traffic, though never good, was not as bad as I expected. Temperature
    > was fine - nicks and t-shirt stylin's. No incidents, nothing funny, only
    > a desire for some better lights (see other thread).
    > 1hr 7min for the 26k, which is faster than I expected given that I was
    > taking it _really_ easy on the SS.
    > How was everyone else's commute?
    > hippy

    I found the traffic particularly bad this morning after kew junction
    to city... mind you, it would have been way later than your
    departure Hippy. Alarm? Must....keep....eyes....open.... <sleep>.
    Fridays are really a struggle but once im on the bike, it doesn't
    take long to wake up.

    After finally getting to work, I found out there was an accident on the
    eastern fwy (car on its roof) which would explain the traffic.

    Cheers, Troy

    --

  7. eddiec

    eddiec Guest

    ftf wrote:
    > After finally getting to work, I found out there was an accident on the
    > eastern fwy (car on its roof) which would explain the traffic.
    > Cheers, Troy

    Ah, so that explains the longer than usual traffic heading down toward
    Bridge rd from Kew... I always love that when it happens - Feel tha
    smug satisfaction of blitzing past all the stationery cars..

    Too much glass on the roads lately though... Fingers crossed, it hasn'
    bitten me yet

    -

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    jazmo wrote:
    > It will be much lighter in the mornings as of Sunday - end of
    > daylight savings.
    > I must say, I've got a dream run into work. I don't need to travel on
    > busy roads.
    > My commute goes through some side streets (and about 300m of busy road)
    > before going onto the Main Yarra Trail just before Bullen Rd, next to
    > the Eastern Fwy. I then ride the Main Yarra Trail to Chandler Hwy. Then
    > I ride the Kew Blvd. At the end of Kew Blvd is a foot-bridge then I go
    > down Burnely St (Richmond) for about 2 km (which has a bike lane) and
    > I'm at work. That makes it 19 kms each way.
    > Since it will be brighter in the mornings as of this weekend, I'm
    > planning to do a few more laps of the Yarra Blvd on my way into work.

    Hey, you must be out my way jazmo! Im right near the tram terminu
    (Doncaster rd) and my kids go to bellvue primary right near where yo
    get onto the trail

    I do Donc Rd (downhill :). uphill homewards :-( ), Kilby Rd, bridg
    right, Yarra trail and start of boulevard then down to the pipe-bridge
    across the river to Fairfiled Hopsital site, along the merri Ck (st
    side), Under the Fwy and to DIght falls, then off the trail and up t
    the carpark and onto the backstreets around Victoria Park (home of th
    'wobbles') and thru the yard/under railway (westwards) to arrive at th
    Hoddle St lights. There's a cement truck depot there so they ge
    priority across Hoddle St which is cool, then forwards along Keane(
    think) St, to Smith, A left-and-right into another St starting with 'K
    along to and left up Napier St. All the way up to Gertrude St and the
    right to Exhib gardens and into CBD. 21k. Pretty much 5 days a week
    work permitting. Just got new booties from DWD for $25 so Im larfin
    this winter agains the wet-socks-from-hell ever getting me again..

    Usually along road and maybe the boulevard home or river sometimes an
    up thru Hawthorn/Camberwell after Glenferrie R

    Always looking for a new way. Amazing how much differently you see area
    on bike and sites you can see

    The best thing I have spotted wasa Platypus (i kid you not!) in Yarr
    near the Kew Billabong last winte

    -

  9. "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The best thing I have spotted wasa Platypus (i kid you not!) in Yarra
    > near the Kew Billabong last winter

    I bet for every platypus in the Yarra there would be 10 dead bodies. ; ) I
    am from Melbourne and now live in Perth. I was walking with my wife on a
    really nice day by the Swan river and a dolphin started following us and
    checking us out. It was awesome. I told her if we were in Melbourne it
    would of been a body floating past.

    Fraser

  10. wassupdawg

    wassupdawg Guest

    That's harsh Frase :)

    would probably be holding a canelonni(?) if the latest drug/gangste
    stuff in lygon St is anything to go by..

    Dolphins, eh? coo

    I have run over (a small) snake near the 'skipping girl' on the bik
    path. does that count

    Thought! Wonder if it would be worth starting up a 'commuter bus' lik
    they do with kids walking/riding to school? Say, meet with a few local
    who commute and travel as a group, thus getting more cudos/respect i
    traffic..

    just a thought..

    -

  11. "wassupdawg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > That's harsh Frase :)
    >
    > would probably be holding a canelonni(?) if the latest drug/gangster
    > stuff in lygon St is anything to go by...
    >
    > Dolphins, eh? cool
    >
    > I have run over (a small) snake near the 'skipping girl' on the bike
    > path. does that count?
    >
    > Thought! Wonder if it would be worth starting up a 'commuter bus' like
    > they do with kids walking/riding to school? Say, meet with a few locals
    > who commute and travel as a group, thus getting more cudos/respect in
    > traffic...
    >
    > just a thought...

    All my friends call me harsh but it is all lighthearted. Perth is a pretty
    cool place. I was born in Mitcham and used to live on Glenferrie Road for a
    while so I am pretty familar with most of the areas talked about here.
    Commuting in Melbourne traffic must be a complete bitch. Last time I went
    home I scared witless by the traffic. When I first got to Perth I was in a
    car on the freeway and traffic had slowed to a 30kmh crawl. After about 5
    minutes the driver complained about how bad the traffic jam was. I laughed
    my ass off and told him some stories about the South Eastern Carpark.

    Fraser