Darker...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Mar 25, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Ooh it's a lot darker these days than when I last commuted
    to work a month or more ago. Last time I rode to work, it
    was dark for only about 15mins of the ride, now it only
    "started" to get light with 15min to go.

    I'd decided I would clean off the dust from the dirt crits
    with a nice, healthy commute and actually managed to
    wake up for it, even after sleeping through one alarm.

    Traffic, though never good, was not as bad as I expected.
    Temperature was fine - nicks and t-shirt stylin's.
    No incidents, nothing funny, only a desire for some better
    lights (see other thread).

    1hr 7min for the 26k, which is faster than I expected
    given that I was taking it _really_ easy on the SS.

    How was everyone else's commute?

    hippy

    Tags:

  2. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Getting back into it!!

    I've ramped up from maybe 1 day a week to 4-5 and really enjoying it - Getting the fitness back to a decent level, and remembering that yes, cyclists are at the bottom end of the pecking order in most peoples eyes! (a few car/pedestrian encounters already) Traffic has been ok - either quiet, or busy enough for some easy lane-splitting action.

    Time in is dropping (down to about 50 minutes for the Mont Albert to City run) and finding it easier to do which is muchly rewarding. Weather's good. Light is fine, although I have dug out the vistalite, plugged in a brighter bulb and trying to get the ol' rechargeables working properly again (grr..)

    Things should improve even more when the dedicated commuter is completed in a week or so!

  3. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    It will be much lighter in the mornings as of Sunday - end of daylight savings.

    I must say, I've got a dream run into work. I don't need to travel on busy roads.

    My commute goes through some side streets (and about 300m of busy road) before going onto the Main Yarra Trail just before Bullen Rd, next to the Eastern Fwy. I then ride the Main Yarra Trail to Chandler Hwy. Then I ride the Kew Blvd. At the end of Kew Blvd is a foot-bridge then I go down Burnely St (Richmond) for about 2 km (which has a bike lane) and I'm at work. That makes it 19 kms each way.

    Since it will be brighter in the mornings as of this weekend, I'm planning to do a few more laps of the Yarra Blvd on my way into work.

  4. Dejonica

    Dejonica Guest

    > How was everyone else's commute?
    >
    > hippy

    pretty good this morning:) there didnt seem to be as much
    traffic along warrigal rd as there normally
    is.. i ride from surrey hills to clayton / notting hill
    (approx 13.5km going to,
    11.5 getting home) i take warrigal from riversdale all the
    way to holmesglen tafe, then up waverly rd to stephensons
    rd to ftg road.. on the way home i go straight up
    stephensons rd to burwood highway and then to elgar rd..
    i find that stephensons / middleborough rd in the
    mornings is a little scary. it seems to have very narrow
    lanes and the road surface tends to be a few inches
    higher than the gutter in places..

    both routes beat riding blackburn road hands down:)

  5. ftf

    ftf New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2003
    I found the traffic particularly bad this morning after kew junction to city... mind you, it would have been way later than your departure Hippy. Alarm? Must....keep....eyes....open....
    <sleep>.
    Fridays are really a struggle but once im on the bike, it doesn't take long to wake up.

    After finally getting to work, I found out there was an accident on the eastern fwy (car on its roof) which would explain the traffic.

    Cheers,
    Troy

  6. Gary Perkins

    Gary Perkins Guest

    The commute was cancelled this morning....car got broken
    into last night after our weekly crit :( so had to take it
    into Toyota to organise new window etc. Luckily only lost
    the other halfs purse and not the roadie that was sitting on
    the back seat, all good really. Bit of a pity about the
    commute as I just picked the MTB up yesterday with all new
    drive train and was looking forward to trying it out this
    morning with the slippage and non-gear changes fixed.

    2nd coffee starting to kick in now so I think I can get some
    work done.

    Cheers Gary

    > Ooh it's a lot darker these days than when I last commuted
    > to work a month or more ago. Last time I rode to work, it
    > was dark for only about 15mins of the ride, now it only
    > "started" to get light with 15min to go.
    >
    > I'd decided I would clean off the dust from the dirt crits
    > with a nice, healthy commute and actually managed to wake
    > up for it, even after sleeping through one alarm.
    >
    > Traffic, though never good, was not as bad as I expected.
    > Temperature was fine - nicks and t-shirt stylin's. No
    > incidents, nothing funny, only a desire for some better
    > lights (see other thread).
    >
    > 1hr 7min for the 26k, which is faster than I expected
    > given that I was taking it _really_ easy on the SS.
    >
    > How was everyone else's commute?
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --

  7. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Ah, so that explains the longer than usual traffic heading down towards Bridge rd from Kew... I always love that when it happens - Feel that smug satisfaction of blitzing past all the stationery cars...

    Too much glass on the roads lately though... Fingers crossed, it hasn't bitten me yet.

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Hey, you must be out my way jazmo!
    Im right near the tram terminus (Doncaster rd) and my kids go to bellvue primary right near where you get onto the trail.

    I do Donc Rd (downhill :). uphill homewards :-( ), Kilby Rd, bridge right, Yarra trail and start of boulevard then down to the pipe-bridge, across the river to Fairfiled Hopsital site, along the merri Ck (sth side), Under the Fwy and to DIght falls, then off the trail and up to the carpark and onto the backstreets around Victoria Park (home of the 'wobbles') and thru the yard/under railway (westwards) to arrive at the Hoddle St lights.
    There's a cement truck depot there so they get priority across Hoddle St which is cool, then forwards along Keane(i think) St, to Smith, A left-and-right into another St starting with 'K' along to and left up Napier St. All the way up to Gertrude St and then right to Exhib gardens and into CBD. 21k. Pretty much 5 days a week, work permitting. Just got new booties from DWD for $25 so Im larfing this winter agains the wet-socks-from-hell ever getting me again...

    Usually along road and maybe the boulevard home or river sometimes and up thru Hawthorn/Camberwell after Glenferrie Rd

    Always looking for a new way. Amazing how much differently you see areas on bike and sites you can see.

    The best thing I have spotted wasa Platypus (i kid you not!) in Yarra near the Kew Billabong last winter

  9. "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The best thing I have spotted wasa Platypus (i kid you
    > not!) in Yarra near the Kew Billabong last winter

    I bet for every platypus in the Yarra there would be 10 dead
    bodies. ; ) I am from Melbourne and now live in Perth. I was
    walking with my wife on a really nice day by the Swan river
    and a dolphin started following us and checking us out. It
    was awesome. I told her if we were in Melbourne it would of
    been a body floating past.

    Fraser

  10. wassupdawg

    wassupdawg New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    That's harsh Frase :)

    would probably be holding a canelonni(?) if the latest drug/gangster stuff in lygon St is anything to go by...

    Dolphins, eh? cool

    I have run over (a small) snake near the 'skipping girl' on the bike path. does that count?

    Thought! Wonder if it would be worth starting up a 'commuter bus' like they do with kids walking/riding to school?
    Say, meet with a few locals who commute and travel as a group, thus getting more cudos/respect in traffic...

    just a thought...

  11. "wassupdawg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > That's harsh Frase :)
    >
    > would probably be holding a canelonni(?) if the latest
    > drug/gangster stuff in lygon St is anything to go by...
    >
    > Dolphins, eh? cool
    >
    > I have run over (a small) snake near the 'skipping girl'
    > on the bike path. does that count?
    >
    > Thought! Wonder if it would be worth starting up a
    > 'commuter bus' like they do with kids walking/riding to
    > school? Say, meet with a few locals who commute and travel
    > as a group, thus getting more cudos/respect in traffic...
    >
    > just a thought...

    All my friends call me harsh but it is all lighthearted.
    Perth is a pretty cool place. I was born in Mitcham and
    used to live on Glenferrie Road for a while so I am pretty
    familar with most of the areas talked about here.
    Commuting in Melbourne traffic must be a complete bitch.
    Last time I went home I scared witless by the traffic.
    When I first got to Perth I was in a car on the freeway
    and traffic had slowed to a 30kmh crawl. After about 5
    minutes the driver complained about how bad the traffic
    jam was. I laughed my ass off and told him some stories
    about the South Eastern Carpark.

    Fraser

  12. Andre S .

    Andre S . Guest

    >hippy wrote:
    > > Ooh it's a lot darker these days than when I last
    > > commuted to work a

    I love riding at night, a bright tailight and using the
    whole lane while there are no lights in my mirrors. And then
    there was the car coming the other way that suddenly decided
    HighBeam was a good idea ?!?

    AndreS au ===> any resemblance may be purely coincidental.